Search Unity

Client / Server - Prediction, Lag Compensation, Reconciliation

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by poettlr, Oct 25, 2018.

1. poettlr

poettlr

Hi,

first of all, awesome sample! Good Job!

Since I'm really interested in networking the first thing I did after starting the server and two clients was trying to see it breaking.

Is there any more information about how exactly the client side prediction and server reconciliation is working?
    I am really impressed with the compression and after seeing the amount of data getting serialized I really wonder how it can actually boil down to just 2000 bytes per second?
    The CharacterPredictedState alone serializes ~ 64 Bytes of Data (I know its in Bits) but I guess you don't want to lose too much precision on those vectors. Assuming other stuff is going on I don't even come close to the 2000 bytes per second? How exactly is that Network Schema working? Because I think its responsible for the good compression?

Would love to hear more details about it. Because following the code is not as straightforward as I would like it to be.

Cheers,
    Poettlr

lostonos likes this.
  2. petera_unity

petera_unity

Unity Technologies

I did a talk yesterday here at Unity. It was recorded and as soon as we can, we'll make it available. It will explain a lot of it, I hope.

-peter

hippocoder and AndreasO like this.
  3. poettlr

poettlr

Wow,
    thanks!
    That's good to hear :)

4. chrisk

chrisk

There is too much stuff in FPSSample and too little explanations. I'll appreciate the video and it should've been live-casted over the too many ECS talks. I hope we don't have to wait for the official Unity Youtube channel to make them available. Cheers!

5. poettlr

poettlr

Is there any news on the video?
    Cheers

6. poettlr

poettlr

Just wanted to inform people looking for the video:
    Seems to be finally released here:

AggressiveMastery likes this.
  7. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Thank you! Awesome vid!