Search Unity

Question Client controlling server object

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Haruwolf, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Haruwolf

Haruwolf

So I'm trying to create something that on theory is simple: Server spawn the object and the client control the object that's updated on server and other clients.

However I can't even get client control the object to update on server, I can get at maximum the client modifying his own variable. I tried RPC, trying to put Client Network Transform component at object, Network Variable, none seems work.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public NetworkVariable<Vector3> position = new NetworkVariable<Vector3>();
    2.         public Vector3 clientVector = new Vector3(0, 0, 0);
    4. public void Move()
    5.         {
    6.             if (IsClient)
    7.             {
    8.                 clientVector = RandomPos();
    9.                 UpdatePosServerRpc(clientVector);
    10.             }
    12.         }
    14.         [ServerRpc]
    15.         void UpdatePosServerRpc(Vector3 cV, ClientRpcParams rpcParams = default)
    16.         {
    17.             position.Value = clientVector;
    18.             transform.position = position.Value;
    20.         }
    22.             Vector3 RandomPos()
    23.         {
    24.             //Generate random position
    25.             return new Vector3(Random.Range(-3f, 3f), 1f, Random.Range(-3f, 3f));
    26.         }
    The object is spawned by server before this code happens, the server don't happens to appear any message error.

Sightwalker likes this.
  2. Sightwalker

Sightwalker

I'm having the same problem. Tried to modify the module one Golden Path code to control the objects on both server and client but I only managed to make it work on the server build. Tried to use both ServerRpc and ClientRpc and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Also, the Netcode documentation was very poorly updated to match the changes from MLAPI to Netcode until the moment I type this. It's very common to run through pieces of code that are still using the MLAPI syntax (like the NetworkVariable example), which really makes learning it difficult and/or slow.

Haruwolf likes this.
  3. herrmutig

herrmutig

Is this intended in your ServerRPC Method:

position.Value = clientVector;? Why do you have the Vector3 cv parameter if unused?

Sightwalker likes this.