Search Unity

Client and server physic simulation comparison

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Cehraphaim, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Cehraphaim

Cehraphaim

Hello,
    I'm completely new to Unity so I'm asking this question in order to know the possibilities I have at my disposal.

The idea is that a player throws a ball and depending on the objects the ball touches it will generate a score.

The obvious question is I want to avoid cheating so the player sends the angle, force etc to the server.

But how should I proceed for the next part ? I've identified a few possibilities but I'm not sure

1/ The player runs the game on his device and sends the score. The server does the same when the player sends his throwing parameters and compare the result. But from what I read differences can happen because of some deterministic issues. Also the client can kill the app and avoid sending a bad score.

2/ The server runs the simulation and sends the object position in real time. The client update the objects behaviour / position like a movie I guess.

3/ The server runs the complete simulation and sends the complete coordinates for the client to display like a movie too.

4/ other possibilities ?

One problem is that I don't know how I can run a simulation on a linux server, I haven't found any practical information yet.

Thank you for your guidance.