Search Unity

Clicks closing or passing through windows and dropdowns

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by To_fuu, Apr 27, 2020.

1. To_fuu

To_fuu

So.. I'm not entirely sure where to post this but something has been bugging me about the editor for the past few years.

As my projects get bigger the editor starts behaving strangely.
    The most annoying part, is that whenever a window opens ( the most common ones being the color picker, the animation curve window, and the asset picker ) and I click on it, it instantly disappears, and I have to open the same window over and over again hoping it would work the next time.
    In the case of the asset picker, I usually have to start navigating by keyboard before I can switch to mouse.
    Also, when trying to apply a prefab's overrides, sometimes the click goes through the apply button thus closing the dropdown.

I hope this gets fixed soon because it makes working with the editor very frustrating. ( I'm currently using 19.3 )

2. Olmi

Olmi

Hi,

I noticed this same a few weeks ago in one project that's a bit bigger... I have sometimes hard time getting color picker to work, if I click it, it just closes and it might take 3-4 attempts or more to get it stay open. I haven't been able to figure out what's exactly causing it, but my project uses HDRP and I'm on 2019.3.

Stephen1701 and MertCanYeg like this.
  3. To_fuu

To_fuu

I'm also using HDRP for my current project but it happened to me in older versions with the standard pipeline

MertCanYeg likes this.
  4. andrin2020

andrin2020

I am having this same issue in 2019.3.12f1 with OS X Catalina 10.15.4 on a iMac Pro

MertCanYeg likes this.
  5. sameng

sameng

Same problem here on 2019.3.13. Very irritating and I have to spam clicking the circle selector to get the selection window to stay open. Mesh fields, color picker, animation curves etc.

They all seem to have a chance to close instantaneously. When it does open, sometimes the selector window opens and it's focused, and sometimes it is unfocused. Very unreliable and annoying bug

Stephen1701 and MertCanYeg like this.
  6. dgoyette

dgoyette

I reported this as bug #1246110 a couple of days ago, and QA has now responded to me that they can't reproduce it. So I'll direct them to this thread to show that others are running into this as well.

For me, this mainly occurs with when selecting a Material. I'm also using HDRP, and I don't know if this is happening in other configurations. However, starting a brand new HDRP roject in 2019.3.13f, this is easily reproducible for me.

From some testing, I'm clicking the little target icon to bring up the material window:

upload_2020-5-18_10-49-5.png

After the dialog opens, it seems that if I interact with it within 1-2 seconds, the dialog will immediately close nearly every time, without having made the selection. So, even if I click on a material in the dialog, it doesn't pick that material. It just closes the dialog with making a selection. However, if I simply wait two full seconds after the dialog opens, it general stays open.

My theory here is that the dialog is initializing content asynchronously, one object at a time. When I open the dialog, I can kind of see each material individually showing its preview. My guess is that if I underact with the dialog during this time, it's not fully set up yet, and doesn't behave as expected. This seems worse on the Material dialog, maybe because there are so many elements to render upon opening it. I tried this by picking a mesh for an object, but could basically never reproduce it on that dialog, perhaps because there are only a small number of element in that window.

I made a video of this occurring to assist QA in diagnosing:

7. Phyrik

Phyrik

If waiting for a couple seconds doesn't work for some people, typing straight after opening the window (into the window's search bar) usually lets you click it without any trouble

MertCanYeg likes this.
  8. timcommandeur

timcommandeur

Any progress on this issue? I've had this issue on mac (my mb pro as well as mac pro) for a long time.

9. Jmbryan10

Jmbryan10

This has been a huge nuisance for me for the last couple years as well, usually when using the asset picker. I haven't discovered any workaround for when it happens other than retrying over and over again or trying to use the keyboard to navigate.

10. dgoyette

dgoyette

11. FrikkieRSA

FrikkieRSA

I would like to add my voice to this issue.

I've been having this issue in 2019.3 and 2019.4. It think it started appearing with the new Editor UI. The issue happens in large projects as well as in a brand new URP Template project, although not as often. The workarounds suggested by waiting a few seconds or by typing in the window do not work. This is a highly annoying issue since sometimes you don't realise that the click events passed through the selection window and changed settings that were hidden by the window.

FIVEXGAMES's fix as described in the issue linked in @dgoyette post above seems to work for me:

"Edit -> preferences -> general -> 'interaction mode' change 'default' with 'Monitor Refresh Rate' (close and open Unity) for me the bug will happen 1/50 times instead of 4/5 times which is a great improvement."

Thank you for linking the issue.

To_fuu likes this.
  12. Ar7ific1al

Ar7ific1al

I'd like to point out I experience this issue in Unity 2018, as well. I'm using 2018.4.20f1.

13. Daniel_Abeleira

Daniel_Abeleira

Exact same issue here. Using 2019.3.9f1. Sometimes I try to cheese it by using the arrow keys but it only works if the asset I try to get to is in the same column as the selected asset. And this of course doesn't work with color pickers and such. It's been happening for a while, in several Unity versions and with different pipelines. Hope they fix it soon.

14. sameng

sameng

Any update on this? I've tried all the Refresh modes but this issue still persists :(

It's very frustrating to use the editor with this bug. It's started showing up on other drop downs as well, such as the Rect Transform anchor selector, and the game view resolution dropdown option.

15. sssetz

sssetz

Constantly happening to me as well.

16. SunnyGreg

SunnyGreg

This bug drives me insane. I'm about to animate super simple thing, and curve editor closes almost each time I click on it. Unfortunately changing the interaction mode didn't help.

17. WolfeWOLF

WolfeWOLF

In my case it was use of
    Code (CSharp):
    1. System.Reflection.Assembly assembly = typeof(UnityEditor.EditorWindow).Assembly;
    2. Type type = assembly.GetType("UnityEditor.GameView");
    3. EditorWindow gameview = EditorWindow.GetWindow(type);
    4. gameview.Repaint();
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/EditorWindow.GetWindow.html

If we check doc about EditorWindow.GetWindow we'll find utility option who is uses for all those little windows you cant catch (couse they hides after lost focus).

So the problem was is when i run EditorWindow.GetWindow() - window ill get focuses and my little window lost focus and hides right after i try to use it.

when i replace this with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GetWindow(type, false, null, false);
    Aaaand i cashe a window by the way...
    anyway i hope it'll help somebody

Sorry for potato english

Take Care!

18. sameng

sameng

Thanks but however I get this bug in very small projects not doing any EditorWindow code. This happens on everything now, from color fields, to curve editors, gradient editors and more.

The issue still says it's "planned for 2019.4" however it's still not fixed since 2019.4.1 all the way to the latest 2019.4.10. I really hate this bug as it makes the editor so frustrating to use.

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/selection-pop-up-windows-are-not-focused-when-opened

19. Ar7ific1al

Ar7ific1al

Becoming incredibly fed up with this issue. Unity needs to provide a fix, not just for the recent versions of Unity. This goes back all the way to at least Unity 2017. It's incredibly irritating. I often have to re-open a color picker upwards of FIVE TIMES before I can make a change to a material's color. Please fix this problem and backport the fix to Unity 2018.

Stephen1701 likes this.
  20. dgoyette

dgoyette

I would recommend reporting the bug from 2018. Having spent six months on 2019.1 and never seeing this error, I immediately started seeing this the day I upgraded to 2019.3. And it's still here in the latest 2019.4. As far as I can tell, this is a 2019.3 regression, not a bug that has been around for years. If you're seeing something similar in 2018, you should report that, as seems likely it's a similar but different issue.

21. Stardog

Stardog

Still bugged in 2020.2.0b6.

Never had the issue before in 2019.

22. zIyaGtVm

zIyaGtVm

same bug here in 2019.3.14f.
    tried interaction mode way, didn't work:(

23. Oxeren

Oxeren

Same issue (2020.2.0b9, Windows), very annoying. Using arrow keys helps, but having to do that every time, let's say, does not improve the workflow. Maybe it has something to do with having multiple monitors, or with monitors having different scale? (just a guess)

24. Stardog

Stardog

25. hipinds

hipinds

Same thing here, macbook as well

26. swalex

swalex

Looks like it helps (at least sometimes) to hold the mouse button pressed for half a second or more, while opening one of such popup windows (e.g. the color picker or animation curve editor). It is still pretty annoying, but still better than clicking a few times into the void behind at a disappearing window.

lionheartt and GMofOLC like this.
  27. AtomicLugia

AtomicLugia

I have the same issue and it's annoying. It forces me to use the keyboard to type the ENTIRE name of the wanted asset over and over again, which sucks for me because things like this can be even rage inducing. This is kinda urgent and one of the bugs that should be fixed immidiately.

BTW, the mouse trick worked, thanks!

28. Stardog

Stardog

I haven't had the issue in 2020.2.3f1 so far.

29. Develax

Develax

I have been having this issue during the last 1.5 years. Currently in 2020.2.0f1
    It's terribly annoying to open the dialog 10 times in attempt to change something.
    It happens mostly in the color picker(s) & the Rect Transform: anchors presets dialogs.