Search Unity

Clicking through backfaces still has frustrating behavior (1105873)

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by dgoyette, Nov 21, 2019.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I submitted bug 1105873 just about a year ago, and it's still showing up as open. I was wondering if there was any update on whether this was going to be fixed for Unity 2019.3? This is a pretty annoying quality-of-life issue that is a constant hassle while using HDRP on a day-to-day basis.

The gist of the issue is that under HDRP, clicking through the backface of a model behaves different than it does under the built-in renderer. At least the following three ways:
    • Clicking through the backface selects the model, instead of selecting the thing that was clicked.
    • If a pre-fab is selected in this way, it will generally not select the prefab root, and will instead select some sub-object of the prefab.
    • Middle-clicking to set focus on a particular object will instead set focus on the point on the backface.
    I use ProBuilder to create most of my geometry, rooms with flipped normals. So I'm constantly clicking through the backfaces of the walls of my rooms to interact with the things inside. Given HDRP coming out of preview for 2019.3, any chance this is going to get resolved in the near future?