Search Unity

Clever and small S-zones for zone swapping

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by BornGodsGame, Oct 28, 2015.

1. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

If you don´t know the terminology, or I am using it wrong :) an S-zone(Z-zone) is a small area of the map designed mainly to block the players vision so that you can unload/load the zones behind and ahead of them without them knowing it is happening.

An easy example is in WOW, all of the cities have a small S-zone at gates. When you enter Orgrimmar, you go in the gate which turns right, and then left again. While you are in the middle of the gate, you can see neither the zone behind you, nor the city ahead of you.

In any event, anyone have any clever ways you have seen devs do this. I am getting a little bored of using mountain/rock passages.

2. tedthebug

tedthebug

Waterfalls?

3. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Why reinvent the wheel? Terrain height, geometry, or artificial barriers - those are the normal ways to do it. Used by WoW, Destiny, Halo, and 1000s of others.

Gigi

4. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

well yeah, you are going to use geometry to do it, but I was thinking of interesting or creative ways to USE geometry other than a small mountain pass or WOW-type city entrances One thing I have been doing to change things up is using a vertical S.. like going under a giant log..

angrypenguin and Gigiwoo like this.
  5. tedthebug

tedthebug

Wasn't fog used to similar effect in Alan wake or one of those games because they couldn't render everything onscreen at once?

Gigiwoo likes this.
  6. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

yeah, a lot of games use fog, but that changes the appearance/tone of your game, and also gives some performance issues. I did a waterfall cave last night which worked out pretty cool, but I had to make it obvious enough that they don´t miss it.

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

I think some people found it a bit obvious, but I liked Mass Effect's elevators.

theANMATOR2b, Gigiwoo and Kiwasi like this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Elevators are a very traditional way to do things.

9. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

How about an elevator

10. TonyLi

TonyLi

@Carve_Online didn't specify genre, but I'm guessing fantasy from "mountain/rock passages". You can also use elevators for fantasy -- magic portals or crude wood boxes raised by rope and pulley. Or perhaps other "airlocks" that fit the theme such as a gatehouse at the entrance of a castle. While the drawbridge or portcullis is playing open/close animations, you could be loading the next sector in the background.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  11. TonyLi

TonyLi

Deja vu! :)

Gigiwoo likes this.
  12. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Great ideas. The rope and pulley idea will work great within the scope of this game. Going back to WOW, kinda like Thunder Bluff.

13. LMan

LMan

Well-timed dust storms. Cinematic & functional!