Search Unity

Feedback Clearly inform users of file upload limits, and don't start upload that will fail

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by dgoyette, Jun 3, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I just tried to upload a 4.1 MB GIF to a forum post. The post editor allowed me to start the upload, and it showed the progress bar as I waited for it to finish uploading. But them, only when the upload finished, did I get this:

upload_2020-6-3_16-23-20.png

So, two things:
    • Don't initiate the upload that's going to fail? If you can show a progress bar displaying the upload progress so far, it means you know how big the file size is before trying to upload it. Warn users at that point that the file is too big.
    • Tell me what the file size limit is in the error itself. Right now it just says "too large", which isn't very helpful.

2. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hey there.

Feedback noted regarding no progress bar. We'll see if we can improve this in some way.

Regarding the upload size, it's 4096kb so your gif is just over.

dgoyette likes this.
  3. dgoyette

dgoyette

Thanks. And just to be clear, you stated "Feedback noted regarding no progress bar." However, in this case there is a progress bar, and I'm suggesting there should not be, since the file shouldn't have tried to upload in the first place. :)