Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Third Party Clearing doubts before starting with Gamesparks, Playfab, Photon

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by tobicreaper, Feb 21, 2016.

1. tobicreaper

tobicreaper

Hi, first of all I would like to tell you that I am new with multiplayer games. I have a few questions that I need to get answered before I can start with my game. My requirements are as follows:-
    I want to make a realtime(or turnbased, its a card game and I cant decide what to chose) multiplayer game in which the user logs in/registers using facebook. Once registered he can play matches against random opponents or his own friends, He should also be able to see the scores/ranks of top players in the world. Just like in mini clip pool all the fb images of the users are displayed in the leaderboards and when two players are playing against each other (if they are friends on facebook or not, the pictures are still displayed). Will all this be possible with Gamesparks alone ? or would I need something like photon to take care of the realtime multiplayer while gamesparks would be used to take care of the data storage, leaderboards and stuff. Or is Gamesparks alone sufficient. If not then should I use photon+playfab or photon + gamesparks ?

My other question is
    I have a user "X".
    X enters the game and registers with facebook. I get his profile pic from fb and show in the game,
    X wants to see the top players in the world (who may or may not be his friends on facebook)
    X sees there are 4 players in total A,B,C and D (who are not his friends on facebook)
    How will I show the images of A,B,C and D to X inside that leaderboard ?
    is this possible ? I see this hapenning in mini clip's 8 ball pool.
    My second question is, X wants to play game against random users, How will I match X against B or C or any random player that is not his friend. And during that match, will I be able to show the images of both X and B to both of them on their respective devices (just like in mini clip pool ) ?
    Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

2. Lee7

Lee7

Gamesparks has example of exactly what you want.

I believe playfab can do the same.

3. Gamedonia

Gamedonia

Hi Tobi!
    You can do all you're asking for with Gamedonia too, our Unity SDK is completely integrated with Facebook. If you're still not sure if your game has to be turn-based or realtime, we've a nice intro article that I think will help you out :)
    Happy gamedev!

4. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

playfab is totally free and have photon service integration, its hard to beat.
    gamespark have more features and a realtime service in development, you can send them an email they will send you their realtime sdk

for your second question i have done this with gamespark, you can fetch leaderboard and social leaderboard then using player ID you can get the facebook picture

ramand likes this.
  5. Katie-GameSparks

Katie-GameSparks

Hi, Lee7 is right, GameSparks has a perfect example of what you need. As well as a highly capable turn-based system, we have recently released a RealTime multiplayer. Although still in Beta, this contribution is already being utilised by several big clients and will be readily available for all users very soon.
    Regarding your other questions, yes this is possible, you can save the picture url from facebook, this can be added to the supplemental data in the leaderboards. GameSparks also has an excellent matchmaking facility. You can create matches based on skill level or group, with quick or precise matching.
    Re Thresholds - Yes you can send messages to teammates, opponents or friends and you can include the profile picture in this.
    Hope this answers all of your questions and if you not we have a very detailed documentation and tutorials site that will provide all the info you need!
    Katie

6. tobicreaper

tobicreaper

Thank you everyone for you answers. :)