Search Unity

Clean the outdated "Answers page"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Assassinbeast, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Assassinbeast

Assassinbeast

There are just sooooooooooooooooooo much outdated stuff on the answers page. e.g:
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/217351/animations-ignore-timescale.html

Its outdated, so now you can just click the button "ignore timescale" in the inspector.
    I wasted hours because i didn't see the button and i thought the fastest way was just to quickly go to Unity Answers and thats the best, fastest, and most reliable way to solve your problem.... WRONG!!!!

Unity, you really need to hire someone to clean the old crap up!!!!

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You do need to pay attention to the date. If something is a couple years old or more, there's a chance it's outdated. It's a community-supported site, and they can't feasibly check all ~11,000 pages of answers (and growing) every time a new version is released. If you find something outdated, please write a comment to let other people know.

--Eric

Graham-Dunnett likes this.
  3. Assassinbeast

Assassinbeast

yes... but cant you just hire 1 or a few professionals to easily skim the pages ordered by the oldest and up to the newest... im sure 1 professional Unity employee can clean around 1 page per minute = 60 pages per hour = 480 pages day (8 hours) = 14400 pages per month...

problem easily solved.

If you dont do it now, your crap pages will just stack up, up and up and make all of us frustrated, since i am a part of the community, i am sure everyone will agree with me to delete all the deprecated pages.

So im just speaking for "us"... the community.

4. Ruekaka

Ruekaka

Not necessarily.
    Just because it's old it must not be outdated. There are also some generic questions/answers not related to a specific version of Unity.
    Maybe one will miss them.

Just my 2 cents.

5. Evil_Echo

Evil_Echo

Assassinbeast,

While I can sympathize with your frustration I cannot agree with your proposed solution. The Answers site is community supported and the user base should patrol and maintain it ourselves.

What might work better though would be a group of volunteers and a liaison from Unity. That way feedback flows to Unity from the base and the editor/volunteers can reach critical resources to determine what/if data on Answers needs update or removal.

Such work is not trivial, word-smithing is done at a rate of paragraphs/hr vs. pages/min. But with diligence the site will improve a lot in short order.

6. Assassinbeast

Assassinbeast

Yes, but i never said "delete all of them".. just delete the outdated questions that is 100% chained to a specific module that is now updated and outdated... so its completely useless by now. Thats why i said a "profeesional unity employee" should delete them, because a professional obviously knows what to delete and not to delete.