Search Unity

Feedback Clean install of Unity keeps going into safe mode

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by prototrip, Jul 21, 2022.

1. prototrip

prototrip

I have just removed all versions of Unity and after installation of 2021.3.6f1 editor, a new project starts in safe mode.

- I've uninstalled Unity and cleared leftovers (I've only not cleaned registry keys, since I didn't know which ones are created)
    - I have .NET 6 x86 and x64 (to be safe)
    - I have deleted the Bee library only
    - I have deleted the library folder entirely
    - Opening the project in safe mode shows 100 errors which don't really say anything (see attachment)
    - Editor log shows Bee is failing to install its artifacts (exit code 1) and ends with:

Code (CSharp):
    1. /additionalfile:"Library/Bee/artifacts/1900b0aE.dag/UnityEngine.UI.AdditionalFile.txt"
    2. ##### Custom Environment Variables
    3. DOTNET_MULTILEVEL_LOOKUP=0
    4. ##### ExitCode
    5. 1
    6. *** Tundra build failed (1.52 seconds), 99 items updated, 657 evaluated
    Help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Nice. Is it maybe this noise??

Extra unwanted packages in new projects (collab, testing, rider and other junk):

https://forum.unity.com/threads/temp-unityengine-testrunner-dll-error.1133938/#post-7287748

About the fastest way I have found to make a project and avoid all this noise is to create the project, then as soon as you see the files appear, FORCE-STOP (hard-kill) Unity (with the Activity Manager or Task Manager), then go hand-edit the Packages/manifest.json file as outlined in the above post, then reopen Unity.

Sometimes the package system gets borked from all this unnecessary churn and requires the package cache to be cleared:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53145919/unity3d-package-cache-errors/69779122

Other than that, I highly recommend sticking with stable LTS releases, otherwise you're just volunteering your time to fix other people's mistakes and errors. :)

3. prototrip

prototrip

2021 is LTS, I switched to 2019.4.40f1 and there is progress, it didn't go into safe mode.
    It did however get errors (errors), but that's something I can look into at least.

I'm gonna update the thread when I find a fix for this now.

Attached Files:

4. prototrip

prototrip

Ok, so after selecting 2019.40f1 version of the editor, the safe mode issue was gone (which suggests there is an issue with that version, since I've seen a lot of reports with it online)
    I then deleted this key in the registry:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor\AutoRun

That fixed the weird non errors I was getting related to C# compiler
    Hope this helps someone

Attached Files:

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Generally that error happens when Unity is unable to launch cmd.exe.