Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Clarify the Unity Hub's error for when a licence activation limit is reached

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by AlexHolderDev, Aug 3, 2019.

1. AlexHolderDev

AlexHolderDev

Hey team,

I just spent way more time than I should've reactivating my Unity Plus licence on my machine because the Unity Hub kept saying my Unity Plus licence was invalid.

When I went to the manual licence activation webpage and used the licence there it actually told me that my licence had reached its activation limit. An invalid licence is not the same as an over-activated licence so I was real happy to see an error that sounded more appropriate there.

I eventually returned all activations of my licence and could re-activate it in the Unity Hub after that. Just wanted to point out that the error on the Hub provided in this situation did not match what was actually happening.

And yes, this happened on the latest version of the Hub (2.0.4) and the version preceding that. I got the licence error while a pop up was telling me to upgrade the Hub. Upgraded the Hub and still got the licence error.

Also, not sure if this is the best place to post these related licence issues too since they're not specifically about the Unity Hub, but these are related to my experience having & solving this issue:
    • I haven't changed my physical machine at all. Maybe Windows updating changed something? My licence forgot it was already activated on this machine and that initiated this problem.

• I - as an organization owner - can't return licence activations for licences managed by the organization. Only an individual user can return their activations. This seems weird. I can manage everything about my licences/subscriptions from my Organizations section of the id.unity.com website except for what machines my licences are activated on. I even revoked my own licence and re-assigned it to myself and it still didn't return my licence activations. Was very confusing trying to find out how to return licences because the one part of licence management that I needed wasn't in my organization licences/subscriptions section.

Anyway, fixed my own issue and hopefully an improvement on error messages can make it be fixed faster for others in the future. Hope that helps!

2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @bigfootaus,

Thank you for posting your feedback! We're very sorry for the confusion. We'll have a look at this specific situation (activation limits) and make sure the error is more accurate. As for the other concerns,

• License validation seems to be affected by Windows updates so it's possible that a hardware change is detected after one. This approach to licenses may change in the future so I don't think we'll address the issue in the short term.
    • It is true that we don't offer license management at the organization level in the Hub. However we do have a direct link to the organization management section of your developer dashboard (through the "User Profile" dropdown menu on the top-right). You should be able to revoke licenses for members of your organization from there.

I hope this information helped. Thanks again for posting!

Cheers,