Search Unity

Question Clarifications needed about AssetBundle Dependencies

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Kolyasisan, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

According to the recent docs (https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...moryManagement.html#mirroring-load-and-unload), starting from 1.13.0 Addressables calculates dependeny AssetBundles in a new way. Now, it's AssetBundles themselves that have dependencies on other ones, not asset themselves. This feels quite unexpected, so I want to ask some questions:

-The docs state that it's done in order to fix the behaviour of broken references. Is that the only reason? It sounds more like a bandaid to a fundamental problem. Clarify me in case if I'm missing something (probably am).
    -Let's imagine a scenario: I have BundleA that contains AssetA and AssetB and also BundleB that contains AssetC. I load AssetA and AssetB, which also loads BundleB and AssetC. Now, let's say that I release AssetA. It's still in memory because the bundles are still opened. Then I call Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets, which will unload AssetA and AssetC. What will happen if I were to load AssetA again? What kind of a loading behaviour can I expect? Will it still be asyncronous or will it stall the main thread?
    -Do I properly understand that, in case if Uncompressed or LZ4 is used, "loading" an AssetBundle doesn't load any assets and those are loaded when requested either explicitly or as a dependency?