Search Unity

Feedback Clarification Required XR Integration Toolkit (2019.3.0f6)

Discussion in 'VR' started by DJKinno, Jan 29, 2020.

1. DJKinno

DJKinno

Hi all,

Im just learning to develop VR games and I've hit a bit of confusion.

I can't seem to get the joystick/smooth locomotion working even though I've added the Locomotion System to the XR Rig, after looking into it a bit it seems like its not a supported feature in the update? I can't actually be sure that its just me doing something incorrectly and researching badly. But I've tried looking all over and cant find any answers!

If it is the case however, it leaves me a little confused as I thought it was a fairly core and standardised aspect of VR by now. Is it something that is going to be implemented with later iterations? I cant seem to find any comment on the topic from Unity staff, whenever the questions been asked in threads its been glossed over.

I got so excited by the idea I updated and moved my project into the new one then deleted my old file as the update made it all broken, rookie error i know! My game doesn't work without this joystick movement so I've now hit a bit of a wall. If it's something that wont be supported by XR Integration can anyone direct me on how I could create a script to do this myself? Or at least what sort of things I need to learn in order to do so.

Thanks
    Kinno
    (new here please be nice)

JamesClow likes this.
  2. DJKinno

DJKinno

Didn't mean to tag feedback and it isnt really feedback, maybe just a little bit! I cant remove the tag though

3. JamesClow

JamesClow

Hi Kinno, I'm following this thread to see what the experienced folks say about it.

My interpretation of the documentation on this is that the Locomotion System works with a Locomotion Provider. The only two Providers appear to be Teleport and Snap turn at the moment. Whether they have any intention of expanding on this to create some kind of dedicated XR movement provider, I don't know. I too thought that this would be a pretty core feature.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...9/manual/locomotion.html#locomotion-providers

Depending on your headset, it might be worth looking at some you tube videos if you get no joy here. There are a few good VR tutorials on you tube such as Valem, VR with Andrew, Jason Weimann and Dapper Dino. Some of these cover movement and input. Some will cover SteamVR rigs (various hardware including Oculus), and some OVR rigs (Only Oculus). At the moment there seems to be nothing out there covering XR movement that I can find.

https://unitylist.com/ and github seem to have a few projects that use OVR and SteamVR, so it's always worth having a good poke around there for movement examples using either the Oculus(OVR) or SteamVR SDK's.

In terms of Native XR integration toolkit, and movement without using OVR or SteamVR, It's like the Bootes Void, so I suspect you'll have to script your own. The one video I have found which may be of help is
    , although the guy is using a paid plugin called Flow Canvas, it might give you an idea in principle how you would structure your code. For the actual input side Jason Weimann's video on the Input System was good to help understand the Input System Manual..

I realize that this doesn't provide an actual answer, but at least lets you know your not on your own with wanting an answer to your question.

GJetson likes this.