Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Clarification on Over The should setup & a question on Cinematics

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by ManAmazin, Nov 20, 2018.

1. ManAmazin

ManAmazin

So I am working on a setup for over the shoulder setup similar to games like the evil within(close up but with more of an offset)

I pretty much have that i think, but what im getting is basically an orbit around the character when turning mouse X, so to keep the camera behind the player i assume i have to handle that thru code(rotating character when mouse X input activated)

Question #2

Also i have been pondering this for a while: but is it possible to transition from a freelook to a cinematic done in timeline then back into the free look(giving the player back control)

something like:

or newer with spiderman:

I understand this can just be awesomely craft animation sequences, but it seems something cinemachine could handle no?

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

1. Yes, you have to handle the character rotation with code.
    2. Yes, you can transition to cutscene and back again to user-controlled vcam. Just create a Timeline with a Cinemachine track, and at the beginning/end of the cutscene, put an easeIn/easeOut on the vcam clip within the CM track. This will blend the cutscene vcam with the game vcam.

3. ManAmazin

ManAmazin

Hey Gregoryl sorry but is there any example code that could be provided? am i to address the main camera or the virtual camera?

The camera rotates with mouse X which is defined in the Vcam, so do i write code to rotate the player and because the camera is already watching for the mouse X movement that is taken care of?

or

do I/can I match the players rotation to the camera/vcam rotation?

merry christmas and thanks in advance!.

4. ManAmazin

ManAmazin

Ok I spoke to soon lol, the problem was i was rotating the player but i couldnt gauge it because the rotation speed and the speed on the X axis in free look was not matching so i perceived it as not rotating until i looked close at the player values and the scene view

in the future i guess i should use the max speed of the freelook instead of two different speeds, thanks again!