Search Unity

Clarification on Ground Plane for non-ARCore devices (Android)

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by rob_ice, Jan 10, 2019.

1. rob_ice

rob_ice

Quick question - the Vuforia v8.0.10 release notes mention for Android that 'On some non-ARCore Android devices, Ground Plane augmentations may have a slight tilt with respect to the expected vertical orientation.'

I have tested a Ground Plane v8.0.10 build on an Xperia X Compact android phone (non-ARCore supported) and found that the ground plane did not work, whereas on phones supporting ARKit or ARCore, the ground plane works. I wanted to see if there was a reason that the release notes suggest that Ground Plane works for non-ARCore android devices when in my experience of testing, it doesn't???

2. meedabit

meedabit

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello,

Non-ARKit/ARCore devices must be hand-calibrated by Vuforia in order to support advanced features such as Ground Plane. You can find a list of those devices here: https://library.vuforia.com/articles/Solution/vuforia-fusion-supported-devices.html

Unfortunately, your device has not been Vuforia VI-SLAM calibrated and that is why it does not work for the Ground Plane feature.

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

3. rob_ice

rob_ice

Thanks for the clarification, I was getting excited about the possibilities of non-AR SDK devices using the VISLAM solution in 8.0 but now I can see why it's only on selected devices - quality must be guaranteed. Hopefully as things progress, non ARCore/ARKit devices will eventually phase out and then us devs won't have to fret so much over the tracking capabilities of different devices... but I'm sure by then some other thing will come up to worry about next!

Cheers,
    Rob

meedabit likes this.