Search Unity

Clarification on Graphics Budgets for GearVR / Oculus Go

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by jStinson, Jun 20, 2018.

1. jStinson

jStinson

I see 100,000k polys listed as the poly limit per frame for mobile VR. Like on this page here. Is this number referring to the base poly count before stereo rendering or the total poly count after stereo rendering (double the polys)?

Thanks in advance for any clarification on this!

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

That number is probably accurate to within an order of magnitude or so. So it's really not worth worrying about a factor of 2. It is only one of many factors that will impact the framerate of your game. (See this note for more detail.)

All that said, I believe that recent versions of Unity have optimized away most of the double-drawing mentioned on the post you cited (which was from 2015). So it's no longer twice as expensive as a single camera. I don't have a citation for that, though — maybe somebody else can chime in.

3. jStinson

jStinson

Thanks JoeStrout! We are definitely taking into account the various performance factors and are just laying out some budgets for a new project.

So you're saying that it should be fairly safe to use 100,000k as a base target and not worry too much about the doubled poly count that unity shows in the stats window? I appreciate your input, cheers!

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Yes, that's a reasonable starting point. Of course fewer is always better, but things like draw calls and fill rate matter much more than raw poly count.

jStinson likes this.