Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Circular Fade In/Out shader

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by nicolasjr, Jul 31, 2015.

1. nicolasjr

nicolasjr

Hey guys,

I need to create a shader that mimics an effect similar (or identical) to the one in this video:

(6:56)

To be honest, I've tried to find it, but it's hard for me to even think on how it should be called.

Does anyone have some pointers for that?

Thanks in advance!

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I created a little example project for you, find the download link at the bottom of this post.

Here is a video that shows the effect(s) in action.

The "Screen Transition" is implemented as an Image Effect, which is using a texture mask to describe where the effect takes place. This provides a way to author lots of different transition effects just by changing the texture and most importantly allows to create new transitions without code, so it's a perfect fit for artists.

The texture mask has to be a grayscale texture. The pixel intensity represents the progression of the transitioning effect. For example, encoding a vertical gradient from white to black creates a vertical swipe transition. Encoding a glow provides the circle like effect you are looking for. This only gives a range of 256 steps for the transition, but this is often enough. Black pixels in the texture mask blend in first, white pixels last.

The mask texture has to use special settings. If you add a new mask, make sure to apply the following settings in the Texture Inspector window:
    I hope it proves to be useful for you!

Download example
    http://www.console-dev.de/bin/Unity5_Example_ScreenTransitionEffect.zip

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  3. smd863

smd863

That is probably how I would do it, too, and it's nice of Peter for providing an example project.

As an aside, I'll just mention that in the shader you could replace this line:

Code (csharp):
    1. float weight = step(_MaskValue, alpha);
    with
    Code (csharp):
    1. float weight = smoothstep(_MaskValue - _MaskSpread, _MaskValue, alpha);
    Assign the "_MaskSpread" variable in C# just like "_MaskValue" is assigned, and it will give you some more customization for the effect. You can get a much softer transition if you want it, but you will have to drive the effect past 1 (enough to compensate for the additional spread) to fully hide the screen.

Ruiko20 and nicolasjr like this.
  4. rakkarage

rakkarage

5. nicolasjr

nicolasjr

Hey @Peter77, thank you so much for your very detailed reply and for providing the whole project.
    That was really helpful.

And thank you @CaptainScience for your tip on altering the shader!

6. jammyt

jammyt

This is great, thanks for posting the sample project!

One thing I was wondering, would it be possible to offset the effect, so for example the Mask1 (with the circular mask closing in), we could make it close in on something not at the centre of the screen. As it's a screen space effect I guess the offset would need to be done in the shader but I'm not sure how.

If you had the time to help that would be amazing.

7. vetasoft

vetasoft

8. TBruce

TBruce

Thank you Peter for the awesome effects. The shader has one undesired side effect, it rotates and mirrors everything on the screen (with the exception of the UI). This is in Unity 5.6.

TBruce

9. TBruce

TBruce

I fixed the problem by commenting out this line in the shader

o.uv.y = 1 - o.uv.y;

10. pertz

pertz

I have used this shader but it's flipping the Y for me as well on some devices. I would try the fix proposed by TBruce, but the issue is that I don't know beforehand in which devices this happens.

Any idea on how can I detect it so I can flip the Y or leave it as it is?

Thanks

11. TBruce

TBruce

Hi PedroRtz,

The fix I proposed was just a quick and dirty solution. I have since come up with a better solution per the Unity documentation.

I have posted my fix here.

Michoko and Peter77 like this.
  12. iDRez

iDRez

Is it possible to have two cameras and have this transition control mask of the second camera. The effect would look like what you have but instead of it going to a color, it going to the other camera.

13. Ruiko20

Ruiko20

@Peter77
    Thanks for uploading your code!

I tweaked your shader to implement a radial fade effect (your first one) with an adjustable center. However at some point I needed to increase the resolution of Mask1. To fully cover my screen with a good resolution, It needed to be 5.3 MB.

Another way of doing it would be to write a shader without the need for a mask texture:

Code (CSharp):
    2.         fixed4 frag (v2f i) : SV_Target
    3.         {
    4.             fixed4 col = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv);
    6.             //    Calculate the pixel coordinates of the current point relative to the mask center.
    7.             fixed2 relative = (i.uv - _MaskCenter) * _ScreenParams.xy;
    8.             //  Normalize to the longest screen dimension.
    9.             relative /= max(_ScreenParams.x, _ScreenParams.y);
    11.             //    The mask is opaque if further than _FadeRadius from the center.
    12.             fixed transparency = clamp((_FadeRadius - length(relative)) / _Softness, 0, 1);
    13.             col.rgb = lerp(_MaskColor.rgb, col.rgb, smoothstep(0, 1, transparency));
    15.             return col;
    16.         }
    The trade off with this is that length() is a rather costly operation. Do you think this is better than using a 5.3 MB texture?

14. Toscan0

Toscan0

@Peter77
    Thanks for uploading your code!

I'm using unity 2020.2.4f1 and I can't use the first 6 masks anyone knows why?
    I tried to use older versions (like 2018.4.31f1) and it works.

Any ideia how can i use this in 2020 version?