Search Unity

Official Cinematic Studio Sample

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by marc_tanenbaum, Apr 28, 2022.

?

How likely are you to point a colleague to the Cinematic Studio Sample to learn something? 10=likely

Poll closed May 12, 2022.
  1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 9

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  10. 10

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi folks!

Time once again to gather your thoughts on a feature. Today, I’m thinking about the next iteration of our Cinematic Studio Sample project. This is the project you can open from the Hub to discover how our tools are used to create a sample animation.

upload_2022-4-28_15-0-47.png

I want to understand whether this sample serves your needs. In principle, you should open it yourself or suggest it to a colleague in order to learn how to use one or more of Unity’s cinematic features.

So my questions (in addition to the poll):
    1. Have you used this sample?
    2. Have you used it to learn a feature? Which feature(s)?
    3. What should it be doing more/different from what it does now?
    As always, we prefer honest feedback to kindness or silence. We look forward to hearing your thoughts.

newguy123 and PutridEx like this.
  2. newguy123

newguy123

1) Yes used, mainly to learn
    2) The sequences
    3) Also show how to output CG that does not cover the frame 100%. In other words, if the main character was by itself, to be rendered with Recorder, to be comped into other video footage after the fact. IE have an alpha channel in the output. Ive been struggling with this from day1 and nobody else seems to be having the issue. All our footage needs to go to compers to be added over existing backplates and the Compositor in Unity doesnt cut it. I'm not talking about chroma keying, I'm just talking about outputting frames of characters (or other CG elements) do be used in Nuke, Fusion or After Effects.

3. akent99

akent99

Brave, very brave!

1. Yes
    2. I used the sample to help learn how Sequences work. The docs are "abstract" in areas, with forum responses saying "we did not want to design something with only one way to use it". The working project made concrete one way to put it all together to prove it could solve a real problem.
    3. I got additional advice from the forums such as use separate Unity projects for different locations, don't put it all in one project for performance reasons. There was no hint of that in sample. It shows one way to do things. Also, I don't recall it being useful to try adding my own live capture (e.g. show me how to edit and replace something). It was a pretty complex video - it was confusing to me how the overall structure was all put together.

But the sample did help me with one thing - it gave me the impression that Sequences was designed by game developers, not filmmakers.

I say this because I believe game developers think of animations more like animation controllers. Characters own animation clips, then the controller is used to sequence what the character can do - move forward, slow down, sit, and all the transitions between them. So animation clips etc are attached to characters.

As a (hobbiest!) filmmaker, I don't think of it that way. I think of acting and interactions between characters and props, especially with live recordings, being part of the Timeline hierarchy. I have a master sequence (an episode, but only part of an episode because different locations go in different Unity projects for performance), sub-sequences for locations (during an episode the story may go off to another location and come back again - so the one episode can have multiple things happen at the one location), sub-sub-sequences for camera shots. But then the acting and live recordings etc are specific to that camera shot - they are not part of the character. I use a live recording for one shot, then never again. The Sequences package is set up for animations to be associated with characters.

So the Sequences demo helped me understand that most of the Sequences package may be useful for game designers (including cut scenes etc), but is not suitable for filmmaking. Once I had that revelation, I felt freed to pick and choose what is useful (creating Timelines is great!) and discard most of it with a clear conscience! (Sorry, not trying to be mean or cruel here, just sharing my real journey.)

Note: I have shared fairly easy ways to extend Sequences to support a filmmakers perspective before, so I wont repeat that here.

newguy123 likes this.
  4. PlayBoxTech

PlayBoxTech

I'd love to hear more about this, I'm trying to get into making videos with Unity also. Have you found any good YouTube videos or other sources showing this?

5. akent99

akent99

laurentlavigne and PlayBoxTech like this.
  6. anakein

anakein

other sample other error.
    unity history. never work the samples.
    black screen and reboot.

7. theshizon

theshizon

I can't even get the project up and running. I wanted to give Unity a try. I usually work in Unreal. Unity Hub v3.3.0, Unity v2021.3.15, I can't even access Cinematic Studio Template through the Hub. I used Unity v2022.1.23, it shows up in Hub but when I try to open it, I get a bunch of compile warnings and then open the sample scene finally and everythings pink (missing texture) so far 0 out of 10. No support to get up and running? Windows 10 64 bit

8. ellka

ellka

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I hear you, we have a bunch of problems cumulating around the sample recently.

We just released a new version of the sample, that happen to be up and available on Friday afternoon. However, this version was destined for Unity 2022.2... but for some reason it replaced the version that was for 2022.1. We're currently working that out!

We are also working out the fact that the template doesn't show up for 2021.3 anymore (this should be back around mid-December).

I can propose you a workaround though: for the project you created with the template in 2022.1, in the Hub, before re-opening your project, update the version to 2022.2. It should then open way more seamlessly.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience!
    Please, let us know if we can help with something else.

9. ellka

ellka

Unity Technologies

Hey @anakein, I'm sorry I missed your post! Can you tell us which version of the sample you're using (or which Unity editor version)? What do you mean by "black screen"?

10. ellka

ellka

Unity Technologies

@theshizon, everything should be back to normal for Unity 2022.1 and 2022.2!

newguy123 likes this.
  11. ellka

ellka

Unity Technologies

The template is accessible again for Unity 2021.3 through the Hub!

newguy123 likes this.
  12. saranyagoodwill

saranyagoodwill

Thanks for this studio sample..

ellka likes this.