Search Unity

Cinematic Image Effects (Pre Release) package

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by willgoldstone, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Martin_H

Martin_H

Is it related to the "dithering" option? Does the grainyness change when you switch that off?

2. Billy4184

Billy4184

Where's that option? On the script, under Tonemapping (which is the only thing enabled), there are just options for Tonemapper type and Exposure.

EDIT: @Martin_H It seems the option was removed and it was left permanently enabled. Not sure if it's something else I'm doing wrong, because this grain is definitely not nice. It looks particularly bad on Hable and Reinhard tonemapping but still appears in all types, looks like an old TV. Let me know if you have the same issue.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  3. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

FYI I plan to do a pass on the Tonemapping/Color Grading component in the next few days to fix some bugs we found and I'll add back the option to enable/disable dithering. You can disable it by commenting line 204 in TonemappingColorGrading.cginc :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // color.rgb -= gradient.xxx;

Martin_H and Billy4184 like this.
  4. Billy4184

Billy4184

Yep that fixed it! Thank you, and @Martin_H

5. Billy4184

Billy4184

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but is there an easy way to prevent the image effects (such as AA) from affecting the UI?

6. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

It depends exactly how you render your UI. What is your setup like?

7. Billy4184

Billy4184

@Tim C Hi! I'm making a space shooter with a hud that has both screen and world space UI, using the native Unity uGUI. Rendering is deferred.

At the moment there's only one camera that renders everything including the scene. I tried using a second camera for the UI with clear flags set to depth only, a higher depth and culling mask set to UI (all of the canvases and their children are on that layer). Didn't work, broke the post-processing chain on the first camera.

Is there a standard way to solve this sort of problem?

Thanks!

8. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

ArthurT likes this.
  9. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

That was done for the demo (not by us) and is the same as the one from blacksmith... we'll be working to bring it into the core soon.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I love me a bit o' motion blur. It's all a blur after a while at my age.

Martin_H likes this.
  11. echo4papa

echo4papa

Has anyone tried these on iOS yet? I'm getting some odd effects(makes everything look almost like liquid metal) with color grading on iOS.

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

They're not intended for mobile.

13. echo4papa

echo4papa

That's unfortunate. So far the new tone mapping and bloom loom great, but color grading doesn't work(even as a LUT).

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think eventually some of them will hit mobile. I see no reason why the grading component couldn't work. But I think they'll want to complete the current set before optimising (there's no way some of these will run well yet).

15. echo4papa

echo4papa

Now that I'm looking through the code, I don't see anything that would be causing this issue... Unless iOS OpenGLES3 doesn't like passing a sampler2D as an argument?(I find that very hard to believe). If I have time tomorrow I'll see what XCode's frame debugger can tell me.

16. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Yeah that should be working on iOS... Are you using asset store or bitbucket?

17. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

In general the effects should all work on mobile (aside from ssr).

18. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I can confirm that all effects except SSR should work on mobile (SSAO is targeted at high-end mobiles though, don't expect to run it correctly on an iPhone 4). Tonemapping/Color Grading has been tested to work on iPhone 5, 6, iPad Mini 4 using Unity 5.3.2 and 5.3.3. Make sure you got the effects from the Bitbucket repository (the asset store package is outdated). If you're already using it... Could you send me a screenshot and more information on your setup please (iOS version, device, Unity version, camera settings) ?

19. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

How about GearVR?

20. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I haven't had a chance to test on Android yet, but if you do please report back your results !

21. zelmund

zelmund

that is great
    need love when im rotating camera and watching far far away

22. haggis

haggis

Just heard about this from the Unity talk at GDC yesterday. Have downloaded from the asset store which is great but clearly out of date. I appreciate this is a moving target however any chance of updating the asset store to tie in with the Adam video release and yesterday's talk? I can't get Bitbucket to work and the download helper (which sounds ideal) is throwing up the following error :(
    upload_2016-3-16_12-43-23.png

Cheers

23. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi. We are preparing an asset store release today with the latest.

What you are seeing seems to be from the automated download tool. The issue here is that unity is set to 'web player' export mode which needs domain policies etc to work. Set it to standalone in the build window and things should work.

24. haggis

haggis

Ah... looks like when I downloaded Unity 5.3.4 I must have unchecked the Windows build by mistake - downloading again now. Thanks for the super quick response Tim!

25. echo4papa

echo4papa

I am using iOS 9.2.1 on an iPad Air 2, Unity version 5.3.3p1 using OpenGLES3. HDR is enabled, and I have the new Bloom effect and the new Tonemapping effects set to ACES and Color Grading set to defaults except a logarithmic curve applied to the master color curve. I'm using the repo on BitBucket, with the latest (trunk, pull request #41 merge)

This is one with color grading disabled:

And this with color grading enabled:

26. Martin_H

Martin_H

Exposure too high maybe?

27. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I don't see anything wrong with the render, except that it looks over-exposed as @Martin_H said. The "ACES approximation" tonemapper tends to washout renders when there's no real HDR data to deal with and the contrast in the original render is too low (which appears to be the case according to your first screenshot). You can try using an other tonemapper from the list but considering that you're not really making use of HDR in this scene I would just disable it and use color grading alone.

Also, a log curve in the Master Curve field will also washout the render as you're basically pushing every pixel toward white.

28. echo4papa

echo4papa

So the top is with the ACES tonemapping on, but color grading off, the bottom with with both on. It's not washing it out, it's adding some very strange banding(you can see it in the second screen shot).

29. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Ah, somehow I didn't click the pictures and only saw them in low res, I missed the "chrome edges". Do you only see this effect on mobile ? Or does it happen on the desktop as well ?

30. echo4papa

echo4papa

Only mobile.

31. haggis

haggis

Just did a quick test on current GearVR (Galaxy S7) project running at 60 fps with forward rendering. Threw everything at it to begin with that supports forward rendering. So long as you don't move your head the scene looks great - dropped to 20 fps! Individually, AA had a very positive impact with no drop in fps. AO dropped by 10-15 fps which is a shame. The other effects dropped on average 10-15 fps.

Fantastic set of tools btw and will have endless joy testing them on our Oculus version later.

32. zenGarden

zenGarden

This should be better if we get Image Effects combined in one script.

Is your project running directly on the Phone as a mobile project or do you stream PC project video to the phone ?
    Anyway VR with a Galaxy is not real best VR, you would need a device receiving PC video using HDMI.

GoGoGadget likes this.
  33. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Ok. If it's not too big, could you please send me your test scene or a link to it (via PM) so I can test it locally and use it as a reference to fix the bug ? Thanks !

34. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hey all. If anyone here is at GDC and wants to talk about image effects let me know and we can arrange a meetup :)

35. haggis

haggis

@zenGarden Directly on phone as mobile VR project. I wanted better AA for my project which I got. Anything else would have been a bonus so happy days :)

36. Arganth

Arganth

+1 should make a petition for it XD
    or at leat they should sell it on the asset store

WANT IT SOOOO MUCH

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

38. pvloon

pvloon

Shameless plug but I've been working on a system like that for a while :)

http://vapor.rustltd.com/

Hope to release it before unity makes it obsololete :D I'm missing some shadowmap API though that would make it work really well *shakes first in general direction of unity HQ*. Still though it's super neat. Can't wait to see what unity does too

39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

So what in the shadowmap api do you specifically require to get it working? Speaking openly about it can often really help if a developer takes interest :)

40. pvloon

pvloon

Oh I've bugged unity people about it (Kasper Storm Engelsoft), it was supposed to be added in 5.4 but now has been pushed back with no ETA :(

Basically to sample shadows in the fog I just need a way to access the shadow matrices used while rendering. Reconstructing these is very hard since unity does smart stuff to cull the scene intelligently.

Right now I do have it working by using a shader to grab these matrices from the GPU, write them to a texture, and read that back on the CPU. That costs like 2-3ms per frame though which is a shame

41. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

whats the bug number, i can do some poking

Martin_H likes this.
  42. 3agle

3agle

Is there any plan for WebGL compatible fallbacks? We'd really like to have our WebGL builds match other platforms or it pretty much makes WebGL obsolete.

Martin_H likes this.
  43. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Man i really want TLOU soft shadow, why he didn't put it in repo :(
    @Tim C Can you ask him about it, even if it's a WIP

OCASM, Martin_H and ArthurT like this.
  44. pvloon

pvloon

Ah I've only had e-mail contact with Kasper after some talk at Unite, but I went ahead and made a report: 780323

If you could poke some people that would definitely be awesome!

45. elbows

elbows

I'm pretty confident you will have some added value to yours that doesn't make it obsolete when Unity share theirs. Is there another thread on the unity forum for us to talk more about your Vapor, as I fear I'll be going off topic if I go in that direction too much here!

46. zenGarden

zenGarden

I would like that in Unity ,very fast character shadows approximation, this could help mobile games also.

kB11 likes this.
  47. Arganth

Arganth

any estimates for your release?

48. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Can we take 3rd party to another thread? :)

49. Micz84

Micz84

I have an issue with cinematic image effects. SSR stops working when I import effects from standard assets.
    I get those warnings:
    SSR disables automatically. What can I do to fix this problem. I am using project downloaded from Image effects repository with effects standard assets added from assets menu. My target platform is windows. I have dx12 enabled due to Unity poor performance in dx11 mode. But changing to dx11 do not fix the problem

50. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

This implies the shader does not compile on this platform. Can you select the SSR shader in the project window and tell me if there is an error in the inspector? Also try right clicking on the SSR folder and selecting 'reimport'