Search Unity

Cinematic Image Effects (Pre Release) package

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by willgoldstone, Dec 8, 2015.

1. gevarre

gevarre

Thanks. I had set deferred in the player settings, but hadn't thought to check on the camera itself. That fixed it :)

2. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

could you guys also included the Tonemapping Log from Blacksmith demo into this package, so it can get some support?
    really get a notable color banding with the new Tonemapping and it doesn't happened with tonemappingLog.
    Also what is the requirement for the LUT texture to make it work with the new tonemapping?

3. argosy_ops

argosy_ops

Hey there! Great effects, especially the SSRR is something that's very useful, especially for shiny floors :)
    Got one issue though: If I look down, the reflections are getting cut off at some point, similar to a clipping plane. I've toyed around with the settings of the effect, but I couldn't quite figure out what causes this. Any ideas?
    ssrr.jpg

4. Michal_

Michal_

That is a limitation of the SSRR. It can only reflect what is already visible on the screen. If you look down then the floor should reflect ceiling but ceiling isn't visible at the moment so it can't be reflected with SSRR.
    You can use planar reflection for shiny floors to get around this limitation.

5. argosy_ops

argosy_ops

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up :)
    I've been toying around with cubemaps/ realtime reflection probes before. Need to take a look at what's more expensive.

I was thinking about perhaps mixing both. Just wondering if this very visible edge could be smoothed out somehow.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  6. gevarre

gevarre

So I work for a vr company, and we have our own HMD solution. We use unity, and within that we have a setup with the usual 2 cameras. When I put the SSRR script on the two cameras, I'm getting parallax (reflected images shifted left and right depending on the eye). I kind of expected that, but is there anything I should know about how to us the script that I'm missing that might correct this?

7. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

This forum contains several positive mentions of the SSR, but after getting it running in 5.3.1, I really cannot agree. Currently, the SSR image effect exposes numerous parameters - as is expected from a beta release - but even in a simple scene the SSR is producing very noticeable ghosting artifacts.

Windows 10 / 64bit
    Deferred / Linear

8. FPires

FPires

Seconding including the Log Tonemapper. It's pretty incredible.

I agree, I don't find it usable even in very simple scenarios at the current state of the beta.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

For people having ghosting artefacts on SSR, this is because the system is missing fall back data. This is an issue with all SSR solutions of this kind. To fix it, you place reflection probes in the area where there is ghosting. Then the ghosting is gone, and your dynamic SSR looks as it should.

That's not a bug, it's simply not documented.

buttmatrix and AcidArrow like this.
  10. glenrhodes

glenrhodes

Does anyone have a thought or comment on by above post from a week ago? Even just a confirmation from Unity would be helpful so I can stop trying to figure this out.

Thanks

11. Michal_

Michal_

Quick look at the shader tells you that:
    1) shader is excluded from gles renderers (WebGL 1.0 uses gles renderer if I'm not mistaken)
    2) it uses while loops that are not supported according to WebGL 1.0 specs (your browser might still support it though)

In other words, it won't work without shader modifications.

12. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Thomas Hourdel has just joined our team (tonemapping expert). He is going to be taking an extensive look over the tonemapping / color grading and fixed / improving it over the next few weeks. With this package we don't want to have something that is just thrown together and badly curated. What we want is a set of known, good, high quality effects. We will be adding to and fixing what is there over the next few months, but we won't just be throwing in new effects that have been used elsewhere (even if elsewhere is somewhere else internally in unity).

Detniess, Novack, Martin_H and 4 others like this.
  13. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

I've written a small helper script (quick and dirty style). What it does is it goes online and fetches the image effects from bitbucket (from any branch you want to use). It will then install them into the project. NOTE: This will overwrite any files that have the same path as those from the repository with no warning!!!!.

After you have fetched the image effects you can install them onto a camera in the "correct" order by selecting the camera then applying the effects via the tool. As a note: current default DOF values are a bit badly configured. Change the fstops to be about 7.5 and the max blur size down for a much better look :)

Attached Files:

Ga2Z, hippocoder and yezzer like this.
  14. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

That's great news, i hope he bringing great stuff into Unity :)

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You guys made a most excellent choice. Please consider the dual-lut feature as well, it's pretty fantastic and kind of mandatory because of mood boxes, changing time of day and damage/effects.

Speaking of mood boxes, I just wish there was a clear and easy way to transition between public inspector properties for post effects without writing a whole bunch of scripts. Perhaps Unity could look into this as well, although I imagine it would be part of a larger system of being able to lerp between exposed properties, wholesale.

Great work Unity team!

16. pvloon

pvloon

Great that these features are coming! I'm a little disappointed with the current AA approach though, mostly with the temporal part. Temporal AA is amazing and I'm pretty sure the future of AA, but the current approach is tacked on to the SMAA and only blends 2 frames together, instead of an exponential average. I did a quick hack to do exponential averaging with jitter generated by a halton sequence and it does seem to improve the temporal AA. There seems to be something wrong with the UV based reprojection though as it heavily ghosts. Seems like until unity has proper velocity vectors this approach won't work too well.

If I have some time later I'll throw together a pull request of the temporal AA approach I think unity should take, love the open source initiative :)

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Speaking of velocity vector support, what is happening there? It would be useful for many effects so I imagine like the depth, it would get generated for general purpose fx chain, motion blur etc...

Martin_H likes this.
  18. angelkaradium

angelkaradium

Awesome, looking forward to trying this out!
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Đẹp cosmetic chuyên cung cấp mỹ phẩm karadium chính hãng

19. botumys

botumys

Little test with the SSR (on the ground).

Ga2Z and Lex4art like this.
  20. Martin_H

Martin_H

I've been having some issues getting the screenspace reflections to work in my setup that seem to be related to a hardcoded value in the shader. In ScreenSpaceReflection.shader line 178:
    Code (csharp):
    2. if (csPosition.z < -100.0 || smoothness == 0.0) {
    3. returnfloat4(0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0);
    4. }
    I've had to change it to something like -600 to get reflections at all in my case. Could or should this maybe exposed as a setting? Or am I doing something else wrong?

21. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Has anyone else encountered an issue where AA effect in any Standard* mode (not SMAA2x) will black out the game camera until you disable and reenable the AA component? This happens every time you enter and exit play mode or load a scene outside of play mode.

And yeah, joining hippocoder, got to ask - any news about velocity vector support yet? :)

22. Martin_H

Martin_H

I happened to have the disabled component with standard_16x selected on a cam, disabled it and the game cam turned black like you said. I recently exited play mode too.

23. dudester

dudester

Dont know where im supposed to put this but thought id post a small bug if you have anti-aliasing enabled(the new one) then disable it in game through script or in inspector during runtime it disables all UIs including the the stats pop up , just thought you should know of this odd bug. Thanks my hardware is: intel core 2 duo 2.8 ghz , 6 gigabytes ram , AMD 6670 unity Version 5.3.1p3

24. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

I'd say Unity's raison d'être is pretty much mobile (I mean the clue is in the name- its not called Unity because it was created for making games on high powered gaming PCs and Mac Pros!) so yes I think this was a valid question... So is there any chance that SSRR might give us a way to have realtime reflections on mobile platforms?

25. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Uhh how does the name Unity point towards mobile?

26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The effect is also limited by hardware, there is not much a mobile can do, no matter how much genius you have. It's the size of your hand. So what you would get would no longer be called SSR any more, but planar reflections or something like that...

27. jbakirli

jbakirli

Hey guys! Can someone help me to get only Atmospheric Scatter effect? Only effect not entire package?

28. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

@jbakirli
    That effect was never included in this package. :)

29. jbakirli

jbakirli

I know. But how can i use Unity's atmoscatter effect in my project? Any idea? Which folder do i need to move to my project?

30. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Question to Image Effect developer.
    Any plan to update/upgrade/enhance/improve the current built in ImageEffect apart from those which already in the cinematic effect. There some old image effect that can be great if it's improved.
    - Bloom/Glow/Lens Flare :
    flickering firefly effect with PBR
    - Ambient Occlusion&Obscurance :
    Both of them are noisy especially in the distance. Might can be reduced with temporal blur
    - Motion Blur :
    Can we get objects motion blur, not just camera motion blur?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Player7 likes this.
  31. bgolus

bgolus

Funny thing is all of the things you want improved need the same thing: accurate velocity vectors. It is hopefully on the list of features they're working on as its a major part of getting the temporal component of SMAA working.

32. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Ah that's right, they were planning to add velocity buffer. Completely forgot about that.

33. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Velocity buffers are on the roadmap, we have some very very early prototype code but it's no where near ship quality yet. We are hoping to find a dedicated graphics programmer for the task but we are a little resource thin for this at the moment :( We really need them, that's for sure.

34. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

35. Player7

Player7

You guys ever want to add another image effect to this, can you do an updated version of SSAO.. the one in the current unity image effects package is almost complete rubbish compared to current built in other game engine.... it doesn't even have a max distance cutoff and falloff blurring settings.. making it really ugly and pointless to use for anything but scenes without a large view distance!

+1 to rea suggestion, my thoughts exactly.

36. Martin_H

Martin_H

The package has been updated a few days ago. You might want to try again:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/39939

jbakirli likes this.
  37. jbakirli

jbakirli

Hey @Tim C , you know, Yaboiicey? This guy made some excellent results for Unity3D graphics. You can contact him, and not only for the "velocity buffers", for many other graphical updates. This guy is a beast! Also sorry for my bad English.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Yaboiicey

38. jbakirli

jbakirli

39. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Go steal some graphic programmer :p

40. TrollHachem

TrollHachem

Hello ,
    I wasn't able to change the gamme setting in the color grading section in Tonemapping Color Grading component at realtime. I need to click on it in the editor for it to apply.I searched the editor script for a potential setgamma function but found nothing. Any help?

41. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hi all !

As you know I've been working on the new Tonemapping & Color Grading component. I'm happy to say that it's now available on BitBucket as part of the Cinematic Image Effects pack !

It's a complete rewrite so if you've been using the old one and want to upgrade I recommend that you remove it from your project before installing it.

What's new, what changed :
    • The Color Grading section is now fully GPU based
    • Comes with a set of standard grading tools (Three-way CC, HSV, Contrast, Vibrance, Channel Mixer and Curves)
    • ACES filmic tonemapping (+ a set of common tonemapping techniques)
    • Please note that the realtime histogram preview requires compute shaders support (editor-only)
    • Best used with HDR & Linear color space
    Let us know what you think and how it works for you ! The more feedback we get, the easier it will be for us to improve it :)

(click me !)​

42. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Question,
    If the new AA is under the New Tonemapping it create color banding is this by design?
    upload_2016-1-29_11-37-15.png
    upload_2016-1-29_11-37-38.png
    I mean if this is how it designed then AA should the top Image Effect right? since maybe it can used to remove the bloom flickering.

Umm how to use the LUT? what format that the LUT use. The LUT texture format that comes with Standard Image effect is not working.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  43. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

So, the AA filter currently in the repo is an implementation of SMAA. I can't see the camera settings on your screenshots but assuming you have HDR enabled, SMAA needs to be done before any HDR -> LDR process takes place (whereas if it were FXAA it would have to happen in LDR). So yes, AA should come before Tonemapping. Regarding bloom flickering something is coming :)

As for the LUT, it uses the standard horizontal non-flipped strip format (so you need to vertically flip the one that comes with the Standard Assets - Neutral3D16.png - or you'll get weird colors). That's actually a good point, I'll add a bunch of sample/neutral LUTs to the package in my next push !

Edit : added two neutral luts to the repo ! You'll find a standard 256x16 version and a 1024x32 if you need more precision (/TonemappingColorGrading/Helpers/).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  44. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

I'm also having the screen going black issue with the AA. Using the latest from repository. Disabling and enabling AA again does fix the issue.

The AA effect is the first one in the effect stack.

Could it have anything to do with the camera being loaded from another level?

45. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Is the screen still black once you go into Play mode ? Have you tried enabling/disabling temporal ? Any errors in the console ?

46. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

It's not black in editor, only in play mode. Disabling temporal or turning off HDR also fixes the issue. There are no errors in the console.

47. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Sorry, it IS black in Game view before play also.

48. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi Tim, ask the amplify motion and texture guy - he is open for contract work, perhaps he will be interested :)

Reanimate_L and Devil_Inside like this.
  49. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Super, i'll pull the latest repo and test it out :)
    Cheers

50. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine