Search Unity

Cinemachine vs Scripting

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by akarshsharma5620, Jun 29, 2020.

1. akarshsharma5620

akarshsharma5620

Hi!
    I have to implement a cutscene in my game and I was debating on whether to use cinemachine or scripting to control my cameras. Is the cinemachine better or worse or is there no notable difference at all?
    P.S: The cutscene will use 2-3 cameras and is around 3-4 minutes long.
    Any help will be appreciated. Thank You.

2. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

My personal experience with cinemachine has been very positive and i would generally recommend it. In terms of your decision it probably depends on the transitions between cameras that you are trying to achieve. If these are simple cuts then cinemachine might be overkill but if you need panning, zooming and so forth then cinemachine is the way to go i expect. Good luck with your project.

Gregoryl likes this.
  3. akarshsharma5620

akarshsharma5620

Thank you for your opinion. Looks like I'll be going with cinemachine. Another thing I wanted to clarify is that since I have to work on Unity 2018.4.2f1 and have to install an older version of cinemachine (the lastest one is not compatible), will it affect the performance in any way?

4. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

I am on 2018.4.18f1 and have not noticed any performance issues (in term of processing overhead) using cinemachine. It seems very light on resource requirement. I am on desktop hardware, however.

5. gaborkb

gaborkb

Unity Technologies

I would definitely go with Cinemachine. You will save a lot of time! When you get our package, have a look at our examples scenes, that will help you get started. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out! We are happy to help you out! ;)

You should have no performance problems. You may miss some fixes or features, but for your task, that version will be good.