Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cinemachine v2.0 release candidate

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Adam_Myhill, May 11, 2017.

1. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

@spaceemotion - yes it's easy to move from one track to the next. Simply setup a number of dolly tracks, disable the cameras and turn ones on when you'd like to blend to them. You can set custom blends between any camera so you can control the blend method and duration between each dolly track.

Blending from any CM virtual camera to the next is as easy as calling it on Timeline or turning the camera on with a game event, trigger volume, or from the new State Driven Camera module which allows you to trigger cameras from animations

spaceemotion likes this.
  2. DominoM

DominoM

Unite Europe 2017 Keynote has a lot of Cinemachine 2.0 info in a number of places, this video starts at the first of them.

3. spaceemotion

spaceemotion

@Adam_Myhill Thanks for the quick response!

I've been playing with the dolly tracks for a few hours now and noticed that when setting the Damping to zero the camera jumps around the segments on the path (increasing the segment count obviously reduces that stuttering effect).

Looking into the code this is intentional, but is there a way to smoothly interpolate (linear would be good) between the segments without having to use the damping feature?

In my case, even setting damping to 1 lets the camera look like it's lagging behind and only catch up when the player's standing still.

Also, is there a way to blend between two cameras based on a percentage or not duration?

Other than that, the new version looks fantastic! The way the Aim has been set up now makes much more sense.

However, is an option to let the camera snap to a certain position over time? We don't want to have the camera move up and down on every jump, but when the player jumped on a platform/rock/box it should slowly move towards the bottom end of the soft zone - is there a way to achieve this?

Edit: Just figured it out using the Soft Zone and Vertical Damping (Leave no Deadzone and change the tracked object offset accordingly.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  4. JMartinVL

JMartinVL

Is it possible to not apply root motion when using animation tracks in the Timeline? I have a character with that feature disabled on his animator but it keeps moving...

5. Image3d

Image3d

Any news on the collision video tutorial?

6. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

great question, ask it in the Timeline forum, we split up Timeline and Cinemachine into their own forums

Alverik likes this.
  7. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

In progress. We are doing a big push with examples of all the features. A lot to cover! Feel free to ask any specific questions here

Alverik likes this.
  8. blackbird

blackbird

unity on console is still behind (5.5) any chance to get cinema machine and time line on older unity version or at least any tutorial how to combine with cinema director ?

9. nsfnotthrowingaway

nsfnotthrowingaway

Awesome stuff. I have a few questions/suggestions (using an orthographic camera):

1) Is it possible to have separate settings for Frame Damping for zooming in or out? (Virtual Camera | Aim - Group Composer | Frame Damping)
    I have objects I want in frame at all times no matter how fast they move, so if one flies away from the others, it needs to zoom out quickly, however, if it bounces back into close to the others, I don't want it zoom back in just as fast. It should leisurely zoom in as long as all objects are in frame.

2) In general, it'd be nice if the framing worked using the deadzones and softzones. Don't bother zooming if objects are in the deadzone, soft zooming for the softzones, and reliable speedy zooming with damping outside that.

3) I'm using this for a side-scrolling camera, but I need the group composition. For the most part I've got the settings so it never turns the camera, and I can just use group compose for the framing, but if I tweak some settings too far I get some angle changes. Any possibility of a group transform / framing option?

4) The deadzones and softzones operate on the objects' exact positions, right? Is it possible to make it so they operate on the objects' visual bounding boxes, so if any part of the object would visually be outside both, the camera adjusts? [EDIT: Just noticed the radius option for the target group members, that helps a lot, but still curious if using bounding boxes might be a possibility in the future]

5) Min and Max zoom for group framing?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  10. MaulikKaloliya

MaulikKaloliya

It's been great experience using Cinemachine

I have one question about Custom Blends, Custom Blends works out of the box, but under Style of Custom Blends i able to use only pre- defined animation curve types.

Is that possible to define custom animation curves for Custom Blends ?

Thanks.

11. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

In principle, yes. It's just a question of making the UI for it. Can I ask you why you need it?

12. MaulikKaloliya

MaulikKaloliya

Thanks for quick response

Basically i want to change minor curve type, like camera starts blend with fast and ends up with smooth slow speed.

If i have control over animation curve so that i can able to change minor key frames of curve and fine tune my blending.

If animation curve added in style so that would be more awesome.

13. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You might find that the presets get you pretty close to what you want. Try for example HardOut or EaseIn, for the effect you mentioned.

I will add your feature request to the features queue.

Alverik likes this.
  14. rustofelees

rustofelees

Using Unity 2017.2.0f3 and just downloaded Cinemachine 2.0.1 and I'm getting these errors. Are others seeing this? Is there a workaround?

Capture1.PNG

15. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

16. Kubic75

Kubic75

I also would like to have crossfade blending (dissolving) that was already mentioned before.
    A simple idea about saving performance would be to treat the first camera as static and let it render to texture one time and use this as the basis for the blend of the second camera.

Of course forcing the first cam to be static is a big restriction, but it would be nice to have at least.

17. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Crossfade/dissolves require rendering of two cameras and then running some kind of blend/mix/add combination between the two. We've done some foundational work on this with Cinemachine supporting multiple cameras and brains.

The next steps for video dissolves are with the Timeline and Video teams. It's going to be next year.

18. Kubic75

Kubic75

Ok, nice to hear you´re working on it

19. kevinmaistros

kevinmaistros

Just came to Unity specifically because of CM, and am excited about the seemingly endless possibilities in combining the two (Coming from traditional motion pictures as a DP/Colorist) worlds of storytelling and games, or rather, interactive storytelling.

@Adam_Myhill - Any way to use LUTs? Rather than using the CM color controls (or in combination with - say the LUT as a base with ability to tweak on the fly over that base?)

Alverik likes this.
  20. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Hi @kevinmaistros love to hear that! I hope you have a great time in Unity.

User LUTs - yes: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PostProcessing-UserLut.html
    There is a little video here:

Note that Unity has an updated version of the Post Processing Stack - v2 - and it's not on the Asset Store, it's here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing/tree/v2

We've spent a long time getting the PPS to feel like familiar colour grading software. So cool to have the ability to put custom profiles on each camera!

FiveFingers and kevinmaistros like this.
  21. kevinmaistros

kevinmaistros

Thank you, Adam, I've been taking the time to dive into Unity basics before attempting to even dip my toes into CM (Hence not having read the docs yet) but with my background, was one of the first and important questions I had from the top of my head (Consistency and quality of color... well, I need not preach to the choir here) -- Everything aside from the integration and workflow specifics seem very easily understandable if framed from a traditional cinematography standpoint and you know... hats the eff off to you, what you've created is absolutely incredible and such an amazing tool for storytellers and I'm thoroughly excited to explore it myself and watch grow. I don't get excited easily, but I feel like a lil'kid again.

Rediscovering cinematography in a new way... ok back into my learning cave!

Thanks again.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Alverik likes this.
  22. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

Is a lot of time I miss the forums, and I just popped here to say: thank you Adam and all Unity engineering team for all your amazing work on Cinemachine Timeline and the new Stack!

Adam_Myhill likes this.