Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cinemachine v2.0 final release candidate - loads of new features!

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Adam_Myhill, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

CM 2.0 near-final release candidate for 2017.1

This should be one of the last drops before the official 2017.1 release. New features shall no longer win out over documentation and example scenes but check out what's new!

Get CM v2.0 - Works with Unity 2017.1b3+

There are some really exciting new features across multiple game genres, improvements and bug fixes.

- Target multiple objects: CinemachineTargetGroup. This allows you to target multiple objects and set the weighting between them. It creates a logical group based on any number of subjects that positions itself according to the position of its members. It can be used as a LookAt and Follow target when tracking a group of objects. Great for 2D as well.

- Dynamically frame multiple objects: CinemachineGroupComposer vcam Aim component. This will dynamically auto-frame a group of targets based on their postitions. If the objects move apart, Cinemachien will adjust the FOV or dolly (or both) depending on a set of rules you create. When the LookAt target is a CinemachineTargetGroup, this composer will ensure that the entire group gets framed correctly. Uses a configurable combination of zoom and dolly in/out.

- Added support for orthographic cameras. If the brain is on an orthographic camera, Cinemachine will function correctly. 2D support.

- New Completely open API. Code against any Cinemachine aspect. Easily custom configure Cinemachine to get exactly the camera behaviour your project needs

- Dolly track. Create film-like dolly track and have your camera smootly move through your worlds. Keyframe the camera down the path or have Cinemachine auto-follow the subject. Ideal for cinematic sequences or game cameras where you want the camera to follow the subject down a set of rails. forTrackedDolly: Options for up vector: match path or follow target. If no lookAt target, camera will orient itself according to this setting, allowing you to create a rigid rig on a track.

- Collider. Improvements to the collision system. Added automatic Line of Site distance, and Minimum Obstacle Distance From Target parameter. No need to manually set the Collider look-at distance

- ClearShot. Cinemachine ClearShot will dynamically chose the best camera based on shot priority and how good the shot is. Did something move into frame wrecking the shot? No problem, Cinemachine will cut to the next best camera. Incredible for replays or any other cinematic sequence of a variable scenario. Randomization features allow for variability of cutscenes for boss or game intros - create a few cameras and have Cinemachine randomize them and always pick the best shot

- Shote Evaluation. Improvements to Cinemachine's shot evaluation and auto-editing capabilities: boost quality for shots that are closer to optimal distance. Optimal distance setting allows for better shot evaluation based on your desired shot target distance

- Follow camera improvements: Orbital Transposer: Improvements and additional controls for heading bias, follow based on position delta, vector, world heading. Multiple blend modes, per-axis dampinc controls. Easily create sophisticated follow cameras.

- FollowZoom: Cinemachine will automatically adjust FOV based on subject distance to keep objects the same size on screen. You can control object size between cuts even when distances change. Incredibly powerful when used with ClearShot to do dynamic cutscenes - head sizes will match even if characters move around.

- Added damping to FollowZoom. Allows camera to slowly zoom in/out to track target. Feels very sports broadcast.

- CinemachineSmoother: Module adds damping to any camera rig for an extra level of smoothness. Added LookAt filter

- Improved FreeLook spine shape. It's easier to make a perfectly smooth spherical / rounded shape for Cinemachine Free-Look, an incredibly powerful 3rd person action adventure camera
    - State Driven Camera. This allows for code-free linking of cameras and animation states. Easily trigger different cameara behaviors from animations. Configure 'Roadie run' handheld cameras when the character sprints - within seconds. Effortlessly adust any camera parameter from any animation state with full in-out blending control. Very powerful in state-machine setups.

- Cinemachine supports SaveDuringPlay! SaveDuringPlay refactor: now it's opt-in based on a class attribute. Multiple instances of a behaviour on a single game object will not be confounded.

- Bug fixes:
    - bugfix: target marker in composer guide was sometimes drawn in the wrong place (if target was a bone and nontrivial scaling was involved)
    - bugfix: vcams invalidate previous state when targets are changed
    - bugfix: Camera blends now always take the same amount of time, regardless of framerate
    - bugfix: Collider will report lower quality while its influence is decaying because of smoothing
    - bugfix: vcam tansfrom always reflects camera state, even if no targets

- AddComponent menu name changes: "Cinemachine" appears where it should.
    - Added Create Dolly menu item. Creates a Dolly vcam with an empty dolly track.
    - Added Create Target Group Camera menu item. Creates an empty TargetGroup and a camera that targets it with th GroupComposer.
    - CinemachineCore exposes a delegate to override the default System.Input.GetAxis() to make it easier to use custom input systems with the FreeLook and OrbitalTransposer.
    - OrbitalTransposer exposes axis input value property in addition to axis value property for even more input control. Drive it any way you like.
    - CinemachineBrain: added checkbox to show/hide white camera frustum.
    - Removed CinemachineDebugLogger, which was not compatible with Windows builds

We hope you enjoy. Go make some great stuff! Let us know how it goes.

..now to finish the documentation and example scenes

Gregory + Adam

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Gametyme, spaceemotion, OCASM and 8 others like this.
  2. Alverik

Alverik

Great stuff! I've been busy with VR, though. Anyway, I can't wait to test this once I have the time. :)

Adam_Myhill likes this.
  3. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Version 2.0 just came out on the asset store and it says it supports Unity 5.4.0 and up. Is this true? Are there features which are Unity 2017 only?

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Version 2 is for 2017.1 and up. There was a mistake in the asset store copy. It's fixed now.

5. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Ah OK. I was a little confused by the mixed messages :D.

6. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

upload_2017-6-27_19-32-47.png
    I love you guys.

Adam_Myhill likes this.
  7. leo1984

leo1984

Hi! I'm using Cinemachine in my project and it is great!
    However, after a while using the package, I noticed a small, but annoying bug: some cameras (without a Follow component) move a bit by themselves when I edit other things in the project, even if I just resize windows in Unity editor!
    To reproduce this bug, start from an empty scene, add a Unity camera with the Cinemachine Brain, add an empty object with rotation (0, 151, 0), and create a virtual camera at position (100, 0, 0) as a child of the empty object. Then just change anything else, and the virtual camera will change its position. I tried this in Unity 2017.1.0b9 and Unity 2017.2.0b2.

8. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Great find @leo1984 added to our bug list. Thank you

leo1984 likes this.
  9. Sholz

Sholz

Dear Sir Adam Myhill.
    I'll love to say a great THANK YOU for cinemachine... It's thrilling... (though am still trying to wrap my head around it) . I was watching your presentation at a Unite 2017 this June and I was thrilled when you did the video export from unity editor Window /Recorder/export.
    Till date I am still searching for that feature in unity 2017.1..or is it a pro only feature..
    Thanks for reading

10. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Hi @Sholz thanks for the kind words! CM is pretty big and has a lot of different configuration possibilities so it does take a while to get your head around it.

As for the Recorder, it will be a free package on the Asset Store coming very soon. I'll make a post here in the Cinemachine forum when it's up.

Alverik likes this.
  11. ibyte

ibyte

"As for the Recorder, it will be a free package on the Asset Store coming very soon. I'll make a post here in the Cinemachine forum when it's up."

@Adam_Myhill any word on the recording function?

12. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Still in the works: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/GenericFrameRecorder
    Also you can download test version here.

If i remember correctly release should be in a few weeks since they still need to fix/add some features.

ibyte likes this.
  13. ibyte

ibyte

EDIT2: Moved this discussion over to a more appropriate thread - https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/video-recorder-in-the-editor.482014/#post-3200023
    EDIT: So I removed the package and reinstalled and did not install MovieRecorder.unitypackage and it seems to be working okay.

I have one question though and that is, why is it only limited to MainCamera or GameDisplay?

Trying this in 2017.1p5

After installing the full package, I unpacked the MovieRecorder.unitypackage and get

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/Recorder/Extensions/MovieRecorder/Recorder/Engine/MediaRecorder.cs(9,19): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `Media' does not exist in the namespace `UnityEditor'. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    2. Assets/Recorder/Extensions/MovieRecorder/Recorder/Engine/MediaRecorder.cs(71,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `MediaEncoder' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    3. Assets/Recorder/Extensions/MovieRecorder/Recorder/Engine/MediaRecorder.cs(249,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `MediaRational' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017