Search Unity

Cinemachine transition in editor

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by usernameHed, Aug 13, 2019.

1. usernameHed

usernameHed

Hello, I was wondering if we could visualize the blend result of the customBlend Settings in editor.

I have created an editor script who simulate the movement of my player in the scene view (in editor mode, not in play mode), and this player trigger some camera changement. (with special trigger created thanks to OverlapSphere, and with an Update() called thank to [ExecuteInEditor])

But in editor, the camera change without the transition of the CustomBlend. In play mode it work.

Is this possible ? Could you add a boolean set to true to allow me to visualize the transition in editor ?

For my player movement in editor, I am using EditorApplication.QueuePlayerLoopUpdate(), and a special TimeEditor.deltaTime to handle the time. With that I have the same behavior for my player.

2. usernameHed

usernameHed

Hello, Up. I really need some sort of editor visualisation of the blends of cinemachine :/

dursteric likes this.
  3. usernameHed

usernameHed

After 6 month working with Cinemachine, on a cinematic game, we finally decide to remove Cinemachine, and Do our own. Because at the end, their is to much bugs, so little we can do with cinemachine when building a real game.

Cinemachine was great for prototyping, but that much it for Us.
    Sorry.

dursteric likes this.
  4. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Hi @usernameHed It's always sad to hear about people getting frustrated.

First of all, sorry for the delays in responding. Gregory was on vacation and I've been super backed up with a project.

If I understand your initial post directly, you want to preview blends without entering play mode - is that it?

RE other bugs, let us know what they are, we actively fix things and are super curious to hear about any frustrations.

Something to consider, CM supports custom cameras - setups you design - so then you are still able to leverage blending/collisions/state driven cams/whatever - if that's of use. Your custom cameras can live beside CM so you can write what you need and use CM's features right next to it. That might save you time writing any systems which CM does already.

I hope it all works out, please don't hesitate to share any feedback. Thanks so much.

5. usernameHed

usernameHed

I understand for the delay part. Yes I wanted to visualize Blends in edit mode.

We have done a custom camera editor tool, and for this tools, we need to rapidly change camera position, orientation, FOV, rotation, and the transition between them.

We first decide to use cinemachine, and do some custom editor tool on top. At first, we were pressing the Play Button to visualize the damping & the transition. But more we advanced, more we needed the tools to be used in editor mode.

Because pressing Play in our games require ~20 second before completly load. And secondly: saving stuff in play mode is awful. Not only for Cinemachine stuff, but also for some other tools we had.

For all the bugs we had, half of them came from a misunderstanding of how cinemachina works, because of learning process & little documentation.

Then other half came from limitation of cinemachine in relation to our current needs, and bugs. We already post some topic in this forum.

- the [SaveDurringPlay] wait 1 second before reloading data. But sometimes the data were not saved: because when we going back to the editor mode, we load some stuff for our current tools.
    - Our first limitation was setting up transition of cameras for a multi-scene workflow: we had one main scene with a CinemachineBrain, and several levels with more than 20 cameras each. If we want to setup a transition between 2 cameras in 2 level, we can't.
    - Our second big limitation was the preview of transition in editor mode.
    - Third, the preview of the damping in editor mode
    - The weird architecture of CinemachineComponent was also hard to deal in a code perspective.

you are doing great with cinemachine. Keep up.

dursteric likes this.