Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Cinemachine Timelines are acting like instances of each other?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Slapworth, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Slapworth

Slapworth

Hi -

My project has starting behaving very strangely; I have multiple separate Timelines, and when I edit one, it's changing the contents of other timelines. It's like they're instances of each other, which makes no sense (to me).

Sorry if this isn't cinemachine specific, but I'm stumped on on a tight deadline to get this working. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks - ChrisF

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Timelines are assets. When you create a new timeline you're prompted to name the asset file that will be created to contain the timeline data. If your multiple timelines are all pointing to the same asset file, then editing one will affect the others.

3. Slapworth

Slapworth

In this case, I believe these are separate Timeline assets - i.e. separate Timelines in my project directory. But maybe I've misunderstood your explanation?

I was able to narrow down the problem. It seemed like individual Cinemachine Shot Clips in different timelines were acting as instances of each other. (The rest of the timeline seemed unique to each asset - clip timings were different, etc.)

I was able to fix the issue by deleting the shotclip in one of the timelines, then making a new one to put in its place. This seemed to remove any instancing with the shots.

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

hmmm... not sure I completely understand what you're saying.
    The timeline asset is a file that contains shot clips.
    Shot clips are not shared between different timeline assets
    BUT
    shot clips point to vcams in your scene. It's possible to have 2 different shot clips pointing to the same vcam, so any animation in the shot clip will affect that vcam, and when another shot clip refers to the same vcam, it will find it in the state left by the previous shot clip. Is that what's happening?