Search Unity

Cinemachine & Timeline preview different than Play Mode

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by brantnerm1409, Dec 14, 2017.

1. brantnerm1409

brantnerm1409

So I set up an entire cutscene test only to find that when I hit playmode all of the transitions from the timeline and cameras are off and totally not in the right locations. Any ideas on to why this might be, I haven't been able to find anything on google about it. I just started learning this and I've watched the tutorial videos. Thank in advance!

2. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

What's your Unity version?
    What's your Cinemachine version?
    Could you share a repo project?

3. brantnerm1409

brantnerm1409

Hey, I have the latest versions of Unity and Cinemachine.

What is a repo project and how do I share it? I am guessing you mean repository?

Thank you for responding!

4. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Repo project is just an empty project which shows your bug/error.

5. brantnerm1409

brantnerm1409

Sorry I do not know how to do that.

6. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Could you at least send your project to @Gregoryl or @Adam_Myhill ? (CM Developers)

Adam_Myhill likes this.
  7. brantnerm1409

brantnerm1409

Yeah, how should I do that? I am only used to working on my projects on a single machine. I could zip it up, should I email it or attach it via dropbox/google drive here? It's a pretty big file. https://github.com/CarpeVexillum/CutsceneTest2.git

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  8. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

9. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I managed to look at your scene, thanks for uploading.
    The camera transitions are happening exactly where they're supposed to happen. The difference between play mode and timeline preview mode is that the character doesn't follow the same path.

For instance, when we switch to vcam3, in timeline preview mode the character is here:

upload_2017-12-15_15-25-47.png

...yet in Play mode, at the same point in the timeline the character is here:

upload_2017-12-15_15-26-51.png

It's as if in play mode she takes bigger strides or something. I suggest you post this question on the Timeline forum, to find out why the character moves differently in play mode and preview mode.

On another note, I've noticed that your vcams are not set up very robustly, and as a result you are losing much of the benefit of Cinemachine. For example, if you set up LookAt targets for all the vcams, they will work for you to keep the character in frame, even when you tweak the animations so that the character ends up taking a slightly different path (which is what happened here, unintentionally). Giving the vcams high-level instructions to keep the character in frame and to position themselves relative to her actual position is a powerful paradigm and is much better than having to aim and position them all manually so that she just happens to come into frame at the right moment. Just saying :)

10. brantnerm1409

brantnerm1409

Thank you for the info, I managed to talk to someone and apparently there is a bug with timeline right now where if you use root offset's for the animation it does not apply properly in play mode.

On another note thank you for the advice as well. I made this scene in 1 day after making all the assets and finding out about Cinemachine. So my technical knowledge or, the amount of work that went into polish was minimal because it was a test. I will make sure to take the higher level controls and instructions into account when making something for public consumption. Again I appreciate your time and help in this matter!

11. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

@brantnerm1409, yes there's a bug in TL with root offsets. The team is working on it. The Timeline forum is the best place for that discussion if you haven't already gone there. A fix for that should be coming in the next release.

12. EdmundSalcedo

EdmundSalcedo

Happened to me today :(

Preview :
    upload_2018-11-7_11-19-43.png

Play:
    upload_2018-11-7_11-20-17.png

Dont know how to fix this