Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cinemachine Possible to record real time gameplay and play it back?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Menatombo, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Menatombo

Menatombo

Like the title says I would like to know if I can record real time gameplay and then play it back in cinemachine. For instance walking down the street using a character controller instead of adding animation clips to the timeline? Is there a way to record a timeline clip that was done in real time then to stop it and be able to edit the cameras that way after the gameplay has been recorded?

Cinemachine seems great, but I'm hoping that this is something that can be done or is on the roadmap to be done. It would help to create tutorials and in game cut scenes if we could control the characters with a controller instead of animation clips.

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You can record motion and then assign that as an animation clip to an empty game object. Then, attach a CM VirtualCamera component to that gameObject, with no procedural behaviour (i.e., DoNothing in Aim and Body). That will give you a vcam that exactly animates as recorded. The vcam can be blended, have noise added, respond to Impulse, and any of the other goodies that come with CM cameras.

3. Menatombo

Menatombo

After some working at it. I got it to record animations and everything the way I wanted them.

The only problem is that it records the animations of the character moving, but not the moving. The transforms. So, instead of the character walking down the street... It stands there doing the animations the entire animation length, but not moving.

Am I missing something?

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Maybe I misunderstood your original question. Are you wanting to just record gameplay? If so, this has nothing to do with Cinemachine.