Search Unity

Cinemachine not saving in Play mode even with the option on

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by AhSai, Mar 21, 2019.

1. AhSai

AhSai

The Save During Play function of my Cinemachine suddenly does not work anymore no matter what I do. It work perfectly fine if I start a new project, apparently it only affects my current project. I don't know what I have done to it. It doesn't turn back to normal even if I restart Unity. Please help.
    I am using Unity 2018.3.9f1, Cinemachine 2.2.8

DChap_Salty likes this.
  2. AhSai

AhSai

To add to the issue, "Copy" and "Paste" component properties also stopped working for both Play mode and Non Play mode as well.

3. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Well, this is very strange. Have copy and paste stopped working for all components, or just CM components?

4. AhSai

AhSai

For copy and paste, I am only able to copy and paste values not in a grey box, such as Priority, Follow, Look At, FOV etc. But anything in a grey box, such as Body, Aim, Noise, the Virtual Camera Children box in State Driven Camera are not copy and pasting.

As for Save During Play function, it just stopped working completely as if it is unchecked.

5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

hmmm... if you can't reproduce this in another project, then there isn't a whole lot I can tell you.
    If you want to pursue this, then maybe you can copy your project, then start deleting things until this problem goes away.
    Maybe you can revert to an earlier version of your project that didn't have this problem, and try to see what the difference is?

6. benthroop

benthroop

This is happening to us too. One possibility is that we are using a multi-scene setup. I'll post if we find any fixes.

Gregoryl likes this.
  7. rfriedma

rfriedma

This is happening to me as well in a multi-scene setup. Using Unity 2019.2.6 and Cinemachine 2.3.4.

8. DChap_Salty

DChap_Salty

Also experiencing this on our project. Save During Play option is not saving changes when exiting play mode.

Unity 2019.1.3.

We are using a multi-scene setup and the scene I wanted to save camera settings in was not the active scene (if that matters).

I'm also noticing some issues with the copy-paste technique people were talking about. It seems to not be working like it did in previous versions (where I could copy the values in Play mode, and then paste them back in when not in Play mode).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  9. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

SaveDuringPlay doesn't work with multi-scene. It's a known issue and we will fix it in a future release.

MentalGames and DChap_Salty like this.
  10. MattVLSG

MattVLSG

Same here - more often than not options changed in play mode whilst 'Save During Play' is set will not be saved when Play is stopped. This is in a single Scene. Seems all of these posts are in 2019 and recently, maybe something in CM changed?

11. amynox

amynox

Any news on this ?

12. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

SaveDuringPlay still does not support multi-scene.

For those who are experiencing issues in single-scene: we have not seen such issues. What specific options are not being saved?

13. amynox

amynox

Aim and body values are not saved at all !!

Copy / Past Component values doesn't work also. (on Cinemachine virtual camera only!)

I'm using Cinemachine v 2.5.0 with Unity 2019.4.01 LTS

14. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

The SaveDuringPlay feature is meant for saving tweaks, not structural changes. Only field values can be saved during play. If you change the algorithm (e.g. Body from Transposer to FramingTransposer, or other changes to the Aim/Body/Noise selectors) then those changes will not be saved, because under the hood they involve adding and removing behaviours.

trombonaut likes this.
  15. sp-gillian

sp-gillian

Hey @Gregoryl just wondering if the fix to make this work in multi-scene setups was scheduled any time soon? It's been a year since the last post in this thread and we've just run into this issue now too. Would love to know if there was a fix on the horizon!

16. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

It's on our backlog, but hasn't been explicitly scheduled yet. It's not something that many people trip over. Sorry to hear that you're one of them.

17. Akamis

Akamis

I am suffering from this issue too. I'm working with a multi-scene setup, and cinemachine is the main component for making cinematique and in-game camera.

I would be a game changer if the options "Save During Play" could work with multi-scene setup.

18. Creiz

Creiz

It's been a while since this thread, but I can confirm that it doesn't work on 2021.2, either.

I have to take a screenshot of the settings then copy it back manually. I have lost perfect settings so many times.

TheDelhiDuck and wondermagic like this.
  19. ShooNeyt

ShooNeyt

Hey @Gregoryl , just to inform that in the company I'm working in, not being able to save during play on multi-scene is a serious issue as camera work is a huge part of the game we're working on. Thanks for your work, I hope it will be corrected soon.

antoinecharton and Gregoryl like this.
  20. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the reminder. We've addressed this issue in CM3. Multi-scene SaveDuringPlay will be supported in the next pre-release.

CC_YN and antoinecharton like this.
  21. CC_YN

CC_YN

Will CM3 be working on 2022 LTS?

22. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Yes it is compatible with 2022 LTS.

23. CC_YN

CC_YN

Is there any ETA of OFFICIAL CM3? I just watched the introduction video of it and was quite looking forward to it.

24. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

It's still under discussion. Management wants to choose the right time. I can tell you - unofficially - that it's pretty much ready and that pre.9 is solid. 3.0.0 won't be much different.

CC_YN likes this.
  25. devook

devook

Also hitting this. Are there any known workarounds I could employ to force a save during play when working in multi-Scene projects? Whatever incantation I need to do in editor to get settings changes to propagate back has to be better than what I'm currently doing, which is screenshotting all three pages of my FreeLook camera and then transcribing back from the screenshots afterwards.

26. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Why not switch to CM3? On top better SaveDuringPlay, it also has an improved and tighter FreeLook implementation - no more 3 pages of settings.

27. devook

devook

I'd love to, but our project is in a very late stage of development - slated for release next year after being pushed back from '23. It's unlikely we'll be able to change Unity major versions before release.

28. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

What version of Unity are you on now?

29. devook

devook

2020.3.48f1

Gregoryl likes this.
  30. unity_B491794343E66F3093FE

unity_B491794343E66F3093FE

I am unable to save changes made during the playmode to an object with the CinemachineCamera and CinemachineOrbitalFollow components on it. The saveDuringPlay option is on.

I have updated to Cinemachine 3.0.0-pre.9 as this thread suggested that this was the issue.
    I am running Unity 2022.3.18f1

The project is run by starting a scene (A), which loads up a bunch of other scenes (B,C,D...)
    The Cinemachine Camera is in scene B.

I make my changes to the camera in playmode, then when I stop playmode, I load up scene B and note that the values I have changed remain unchanged on the object.

Should cinemachine be able to save during play with this setup? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

31. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

In older versions of CM, SaveDuringPlay did not work for dynamically-loaded scenes. Upgrade to the latest (3.0.1) and it should work.

32. unity_B491794343E66F3093FE

unity_B491794343E66F3093FE

I updated to 3.0.1 and unfornately am still not seeing values changed.

Steps taken
    1. In the camera scene the Object with the Cinemachine camera has the Save During play ticked, and Lens.FOV of 40
    2. I load the boot scene
    3. I enter playmode
    4. The boot scene loads the camera scene
    5. I edit the Lens.FOV to 400, (and some values on the orbital follow as well)
    6. I exit playmode
    7. I load the camera scene
    8. I look at the camera object and see the values have not changed.

33. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Yeah, that won't work. Scenes that are dynamically loaded at runtime don't get auto-saved when you exit playmode. What SaveDuingPlay supports is the transfer of changed values back to any scenes that are still present in edit mode.

Sorry for not clueing in to that based on your original description.