Search Unity

Cinemachine Follow Wobble

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by FabDynamic, May 22, 2020.

1. FabDynamic

FabDynamic

I'm using a Cinemachine vcam to follow my player and most of the time it works great but maybe a third of the times I click play I get a disconcerting left to right wobble and I don't know why or what to do about it.
    • I'm using Cinemachine Body Transposer and Aim Composer
    • When it wobbles no amount of moving sliders around in those two panels stops the wobble (dead zone, soft zone, x damping, horizontal damping, lookahead)
    • When it doesnt wobble no amount of moving sliders around in those two panels creates the wobble
    • Unity 2019.3.14f1 w/ Cinemachine 2.5.0 (problem happened exactly the same with Unity 2019.2.11f1
    Temporary Workaround: I wanted to use the lookahead in the Aim Composer (and it works beautifully when it doesnt wobble) but if I turn the Aim Composer off I never get this wobble so I'll do that for the moment.

What clues do any of the experts here have about what could be going on here?

Here is a <10s demonstration:

Here are my settings at the moment:
    https://imgur.com/a/8hw2Tzt

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

What happens when you change the Transposer's Binding Mode to World Space?

3. FabDynamic

FabDynamic

Hey that seems to do the trick. I just learned a lot: I learned that the motion seems to mirror something a rolling transform might make which is obvious now in hindsight but I couldn't see that 30 minutes ago and its something I will never un-see (which means I'll notice things like this more readily in the future). I learned the key technical lesson about the transposers binding and what that means and why it matters. All that is to say thank you very much for the quick reply. It really helped me.

P.S. I also learned not to set that binding to 'lock-to-target' on a quickly rotating transform unless I want to get some fun roller-coaster level motion sickness haha

marc_tanenbaum and Gregoryl like this.
  4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You can thank yourself for the well-presented question. The video and inspector snapshots provided all the necessary info :D

FabDynamic and marc_tanenbaum like this.