Search Unity

Cinemachine : follow & confiner & instant spawn

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by ABerlemont, Mar 2, 2020.

1. ABerlemont

ABerlemont

Hey there,

I have a camera that follows an avatar and that is confined within the game space (using CinemachineConfiner).

On startup the camera manage to instantly spawn above the target (using the PreviousStateIdValid property) but then is panning to solve the confinement requirements. And I would love to be able to tell the camera to instant solve that panning (so that the camera is at the final state when the player see the first ingame frame).

PreviousStateIsValid seems to not communicate with the confiner.

Any idea ?

Thanks for the help !

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

If you change the geometry of the confining shape at runtime, the confiner will not automatically detect that. You have to call confiner.InvalidatePathCache()

theProject likes this.
  3. ABerlemont

ABerlemont

Hey Gregoryl !

I'm not changing the confiner shape at runtime. Everything is setup before play mode.

What is not setup is the camera position and the follow target.
    - Follow target is spawn at a starting point (that varies between levels)
    - Then camera is spawn above that target
    - Because the target can spawn in corner of the level the camera will need to pan for a few seconds because of the confiner behavior.

Is there any way to tell cinemachine to instantly solve final position of whatever the confiner behavior is guiding the camera toward ? (Somewhat like cinemachine is doing using PreviousStateIdValid for target following).

Thanks !

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

It should already do that. Why is the camera panning? Can you show the inspector your your vcam, with the confiner?

5. ABerlemont

ABerlemont

6. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Interesting. I don't see where the panning is coming from. You have no damping in the confiner, so its effect should be immediate.

Is it possible that another vcam is initially active, and you are blending from it?

Can you show me a video of the problem?

nb. the FollowZoom probably shouldn't be there, as it's meant for perspective cameras. You should remove it.

7. ABerlemont

ABerlemont

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll first re-write my integration just in case I did something wrong (and remove that follow zoom stuff). Hopefully it wasn't something overriding cinemachine behavior somehow :shrug:
    I'll keep you posted and I'll make a video then.

Thanks for the insights !

8. ABerlemont

ABerlemont

The problem came from custom blendings.

@Gregoryl
    You pointed the solution when you said that another vcam was active. I have something that de-enabled the component but it's still active for cinemachine ("live" mention)

Thanks for the help !

Gregoryl likes this.