Search Unity

Cinemachine Blending Behaviours and 'Momentum'

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by SugarChap, Sep 15, 2020.

1. SugarChap

SugarChap

Hello,

I have been using Cinemachine and love lots about it. Great work!

Something that I have found jarring is that when transitioning between moving cameras, any velocity based on the previous camera is lost. This can often result in a sudden 'stopping' of the camera as the blend begins.

My understanding is that internally the Cinemachine brain takes a 'snapshot' of it's state at the beginning of a transition, and then blends to the new camera. Only updating the new (top) camera.

I would love a solution where the behaviour of the previous camera (for example, velocity) wasn't lost, making the blending smoother between these states. The brute force solutions could be to also update the previous camera while blending to the new one.

Has anyone come across a solution?

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

In fact Cinemachine doesn't behave as you describe: under normal circumstances the outgoing vcam continues to be processed during the course of the blend, so it should be smooth. It's not based on a snapshot. Is it possible that your outgoing camera stops moving? Maybe because it gets deactivated?

3. SugarChap

SugarChap

Whaaaat!? That's fantastic news. I must have been applying some confirmation bias to what I was seeing.

I'm delighted to be corrected on this. Thankyou!