Search Unity

Cinemachine Asset Is Installed But Not Working In 2018.1 Editor

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by DavidLieder, May 15, 2018.

1. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Make sure you select "All packages" in the packman window:

upload_2020-5-13_7-24-36.png

2. Jeea84

Jeea84

Hi
    Been reading through all of the posts here and so far found no solution to my problem.
    Unfortunately all above posts are for version 2018.
    I'm now using 2019.4.1f1 LTS version. Here's what I had to do for the Cinemachine to appear in the menu:
    Create a new project. Without importing or installing anything else first, install Cinemachine.

My old project in which I keep trying to install Cinemachine and keep failing, is also built on 2019.4.1f1 LTS, and I did not install Cinemachine from the Asset Store. I can not even find it on the asset store!!
    I deleted everything apart from my assets from every which folder I could find - which wasn't a lot. Uninstalled CM, reinstalled, uninstalled again, closed the project, reopened, installed again... no go to absolutely anything.

Yet, when I create a new project and install CM directly before doing anything else, it appears like magic.

For a software that people are increasingly using and which is now enabling idiots like me to build awesome games, you guys sure have a lot of bugs!

3. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@Jeea84 Your symptoms are pointing to an issue with your project. Perhaps a re-import of everything might help. Try deleting your project's Library folder, then opening the project.

4. Jeea84

Jeea84

No, Sir, there is no problem with my project. Before setting the camera and feeling the need to have Cinemachine, my project had been working fine, and it was working fine even after the whole sequence of install, uninstall, reopen, reinstall, and again uninstall.
    My main player is walking across my environment perfectly, everything is working fine. I just wanted to make the camera follow my player, so felt the need to install CM.
    Anyway, in the new project, when I installed CM, the menu appeared, I imported my project, now I need to install ProBuilder, which I forgot before, but which is now not installing.

I think that, you should mention it in highlights somewhere, to install all the packages we think we may need in our project BEFORE we start working on anything.

Mind you, it will be easier for all us trying to make something good if ProBuilder, ProGrids, and Cinemachine, and anything else used "normally" in all games, were just included as preinstalled features of Unity.

It might be a far fetched topic, but there are several problems with Package Manager as well. There are several packages, like when we import the Unity's provided 2D Game Kit or 3D Game Kit, that we get a message that the package we're trying to import has package manager dependencies, with the options, Install/Upgrade or Ignore. I do not understand, as I'm sure many more like me don't, why does it ask every single time we import something, when in the same project we have already upgraded? Besides, where does the Package Manager get uninstalled/ updated/ reinstalled from? It's not on Asset Store.

Anyway, tomorrow is a new day, I will open up a brand new project, install Cinemachine, ProBuilder, ProGrids, then import my project. Let's see if that works or if my project really does have a problem. :)

5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Are errors reported in the console when you import CM? Sometimes there are unfortunate name collisions that can prevent a package from installing.

6. Jeea84

Jeea84

Nope, no errors, not even warnings! So far, even to my surprise, my project is working good and clean. (Thank goodness! :D)

Edit: Can't we IMPORT these packages? I mean CM and PB and PG and others from other projects where they have been successfully imported and installed?
    Or will they only work when we have INSTALLED them from Package Manager??

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  7. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You have to install them from the package manager. While it is possible to embed them in your project's assets (this is similar to an import), there is no advantage to this unless you want to customize the package code (which creates all sorts of upgrade nightmares, and should only be done as a last resort).

8. cpjp2424

cpjp2424

im new to cinemachine and i keep getting an error saying Assets\Samples\Cinemachine\2.6.0\Cinemachine Example Scenes\Shared\Scripts\MixingCameraBlend.cs(15,13): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'CinemachineMixingCamera' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) is there anything i can do to fix this?

9. Jeea84

Jeea84

Nope, 5 days and still not working!!
    Now what I did was create a brand new project, install probuilder and cinemachine first before anything else.
    Next i imported the assets from my project that had been working, mind you, including the SINGLE script...
    Now it's giving error that it can not load the script! I even created a new script file and copied only the code to it! It still refuses to load the stupid script!!

10. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Can you paste the script and the error message? Probably an API has changed, and the script needs to be upgraded.

11. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You need to provide some details of what you did to get this error.
    What version of Unity are you using?
    Does it happen when you create a new project, add Cinemachine, and import the samples?

12. Jeea84

Jeea84

For the same version? I was working on 2019.4.3f1 and created new project on same version as well.
    My script has merely three lines as yet:

using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;
    public class PlayerController : MonoBehaviour
    {
    public float moveSpeed;
    public Rigidbody rb;
    private Animator animator;

// Start is called before the first frame update
    void Start()
    {
    rb = GetComponent<Rigidbody>();
    animator = GetComponent<Animator>();
    }
    // Update is called once per frame
    void Update()
    {
    rb.velocity = new Vector3(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal")* moveSpeed,rb.velocity.y, rb.velocity.z);
    animator.SetFloat("velocityX", Mathf.Abs(rb.velocity.x) / moveSpeed);

}
    }

Alright so I can not copy paste, drag and drop, insert an image here to show you what "error message" I'm getting. It is not in the console it is in the Inspector tab.
    It says:
    The associated script can not be loaded. Please fix any compile errors and assign a valid script.

And the only so called errors in my console are the warnings telling me that I have several unused animations on my player.

However, this is really really weird and extremely inconvenient, when I create a new script. This error should not be here if I'm creating a brand new script attached to the object that script is for. Inspector> Add Component> ScriptName> Create And Add

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  13. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

The code looks innocent enough. Can you change the name? Is it possible that the "PlayerController" symbol is already used elsewhere in your project or in the imported samples?

I'm able to create a script named PlayerController and paste your code into it without error.

14. Jeea84

Jeea84

No it's not, since I just created it from scratch. It's the only script in the entire project.
    But I'll try to change and check it anyway. Let me get back to you on this.
    And by the way, thank you very much on such live support.
    I just wish it wasn't this complicated for us noobies to constantly worry you guys like this. :)

Edit:
    I just got this error message on creating a new script and double clicking to open in VS:

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Studio
    The following files were specified on the command line:
    C:\My Workspace\My Projects\Unity\Curse of the Midnight Forest\Curse of the Midnight Forest.sln
    These files could not be found and will not be loaded.
    OK

I know that .sln is a solution file which is build when a project is created... But I don't understand this error. Curse of the Midnight Forest is the name of my new project. This is quite confusing.

15. Jeea84

Jeea84

I did it! I have no idea how I managed it, but I started to delete all the assets that I wasn't using. Slowly, I cut down to only the assets in my scene.
    However, I don't really understand what the problem was and how I resolved it. So that basically makes my day a complete waste, even though I did manage to make it work - but I don't know if it will later give me problems and make me waste more days trying to find where the error is and in the end not finding any.

I'm pretty sure, though, that it has something to do with the sequence of importing your assets and installing the "packages" - things like Cinemachine, ProBuilder need to be installed foremost, before you import any assets, anything else. After that you can import whatever you need.
    Oh, and I also had to go and create a file in my specific folder with the extension .sln. After that I built it in VS. I don't know if that makes any difference at all, but it gave me the missing .csproj file. (Revision: there was neither a project file nor a solution file.) And then I had to go and add that csproj file to the solution. I also changed the name of the solution file that I was seeing in VS Solution Explorer... since it wasn't right.
    However, I did not do all these things step by step and continuously check if problem was resolved. I did all of the above together, as I went along, and suddenly, my problem was resolved. So I have no idea which one of the above things resolved it, but there is the full story and I hope someone else, as lost as I was, visiting this thread, would be able to take benefit of my solution.

And @Gregoryl Thank you very much for your continuous support. :)

16. cpjp2424

cpjp2424

hey gregorly sorry for taking so long to respond i was the person with the error saying Assets\Samples\Cinemachine\2.6.0\Cinemachine Example Scenes\Scenes\DualTarget\MoveAimTarget.cs(29,12): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'AxisState' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) i use the latest version of unity which is 2019.4

17. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I think your CM install is corrupted. Try to completely remove Cinemachine for your assets, including all the sample scenes. Then, install it cleanly from the package manager. If you still have problems, try re-importing your project.

18. l-cursxd-l

l-cursxd-l

Same!

19. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Are there any error messages in the console panel?

20. DRRosen3

DRRosen3

Since there is already a recent thread about this issue, I felt I should post this here. I'm also having an issue with Cinemachine. I'm working in 2019.3.13f1... I am able to see it in the Package Manager, and I'm also able to install it. However, upon doing so I'm met with these two lengthy errors.

21. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@DRRosen3 You will need to upgrade Unity to 2019.4 to use the latest Cinemachine version.

22. DRRosen3

DRRosen3

Thanks! I did that right after I made my post and it works.

23. SonicTheHedgiehog

SonicTheHedgiehog

For other people still having the problem, i am here to share my experience on how the hell did i fix this issue. Take a deep breath, and lets start:

1.DISABLE ANY 3RD PARTY PROGRAM THAT HAS IT'S OWN FIREWALL (Like simplewall or ESET SMART SECURITY).
    Occasionally you can disable windows firewall but be careful to restore it as soon as you finish installing cinemachine. i did not disable windows firewall but i disabled my app that was preventing unknown outbound connections to be automatically blocked until allowed by user. check if you have set any rule to block any kind of connection of all programs or unity exe's:

look what i found in windows firewall\advanced settings. right click on the rules that have a red forbidden blah, logo, and click disable rule:

however, it is very important if you have found unitypackagemanager.exe getting blocked somewhere. be sure to allow it because it is the program that sends and receives package manager specific datas.

2.INSTALL A FRESH COPY OF UNITY 2020.1.6.f1:
    download the "Unity Editor 64-bit" of the latest unity in the list:

3.ONE NOTE:
    before installing the fresh unity, if you have other unity versions installed (probably yes), BE SURE TO DISABLE "Load Previous Project On Startup" at edit\preferences\general:

4.OPEN A (free) VPN PROGRAM:

You might say a beautiful "what the hell?" but that is because we are unsure how unity reacts to your location. it will lead to several headaches like you are signed in but you are not signed in at the mean while so if you are unsure please use one of the below free vpns (i was connected to Brazil,Sao Paulo BR using iTop vpn when this worked):

urban vpn [Reliability= 5] (try 2nd and 3rd if gives "access to service pipe failed" (as fixing this issue is very, very hard)
    iTop vpn [Reliability= 2]

proton vpn [Reliability= 10]

first check if you are really connected as most servers might not work correctly on free versions.

5.OPEN "Unity 2020.1.6f1 (64-bit).exe".
    after showing splash screen, it should open unity hub.
    CLICK ON THAT ACCOUNT PHOTO AT TOP RIGHT OR WHATEVER, JUST LOG IN WITH GOOGLE:

AFTER LOGGING IN WITH GOOGLE, DO, NOT, TOUCH, ANYTHING ELSE. DO NOT PLAY AROUND WITH MENUS OR CLICK ON YOUR PROFILE (THAT PERSON LOGO I MENTIONED EARLIER). JUST CLICK ON LOCATE IF UNITY DOES NOT KNOW WHERE IS UNITY:

OR IF IT SHOWS YOUR PREVIOUS PROJECTS (MY DOCUMENTS) THEN LEAVE IT. JUST CREATE A NEW SINGLE 3D PROJECT:

Today is a bright day my son. we are getting closer to our glorious victory.Take another deep breath, and continue.

6.DO, NOT, TOUCH, ANYTHING. CLICK ON "WINDOW\PACKAGE MANAGER" . IF THERE IS NO PACKAGE MANAGER AT WINDOW TAB (happened to me), FOLLOW @pedro_unity 's solution at this page (the one starting with "i'm sorry").
    SELECT "IN PROJECT":

WAIT 10 SECONDS. CLICK ON UNITY REGISTRY AGAIN OR THE SO CALLED:""""""""""ALL PACCKKAAGGEESS""""""""" IF YOU WAS SUCCESS FULL AT FINDING IT.

THERE SHOULD BE A PRESISTENT "REFRESHING PACKAGES " FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS. THERE SHOULD BE A LOT PACKAGES ADDED DURING THIS PERIOD. YOU ""SHALL"" SEE CINEMACHINE IN THE LIST.
    CLICK ON INSTALL AND DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING. AFTER SEVERAL MINI WINDOW OPENING AND CLOSING(LIKE THE ONES WHILE OPENING A PROJECT), THERE SHOULD SUDDENLY MAGICALLY INSTANTLY UNBELIEVABLY A NEW TAB BE ADDED AT THE TOP BETWEEN THE WINDOW AND THE COMPONENT TABS. LIKE THIS!(JUST THE TAB IS LOOKING LIKE THIS I MEANT):

IN PACKAGE MANAGER IT SHOULD BE LIKE THIS:

LOOK HOW PRETTY IT IS:

JUST SAVE THE SCENE AND PROJECT TO 10 DIFFERENT VERSIONS, DUPLICATE THE UNITY THAT YOU INSTALLED CINEMACHINE ON IT AND COPY THEM TO ALL OF YOUR HARD DRIVES AND STORAGES AND UPLOAD IT TO GOOGLE DRIVE AND ALL OTHER OF YOUR CLOUD STORAGES.
    YOU CAN DITCH THE VPN. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO NEED IT AGAIN. JUST APPRECIATE YOUR VALUABLE GOLDEN PROJECT BECAUSE IF YOU LOOSE IT, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO ACHIEVE IT EASILY AGAIN.

IF YOU HAVE THE DAMN ENTITLEMENT ERROR, YOU NEED ONLY TO REINSTALL OTHER FRESH COPIES. THE PROBLEM CAN OCCUR WITH NOT SIGNING IN\LOGGING IN PROBLEMS. THATS WHY I SAID LOG IN WITH GOOGLE.

I AM GOING TO UPLOAD THE WHOLE PROJECT (IT'S AN EMPTY 3D WITH CINEMACHINE INSTALLED AND TIMELINE UPDATED) IF IT DOES ANY HELP. I CAN UPLOAD THE WHOLE UNITY WITH CINEMACHINE INSTALLED IF ANYONE WANTS. LOOK AT PACKAGES-LOCK.JSON AND MANIFEST.JSON LOCATED AT PACKAGES FOLDER OF THE PROJECT (LOOK AT THE FIRST LINES OF EACH FILE, YOU COULD SEE CINEMACHINE):

IF YOU HAVE "ARE YOU MISSING AN ASSEMBLY REFERENCE?" ERROR AT CONSOLE, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR CINEMACHINE INSTALL AND THE EXISTING ASSETS IN THE PROJECT. SOMETHING IS INTERPRETING THAT I DON'T KNOW IT BECAUSE IF I KNEW IT I WOULD SHRED IT TO PIECES.

IF YOU ARE GETTING TIMELINE ERROR, OR POSTPROCESSING ERROR, OR "TYPE OR NAMESPACE COMPATIBLAH CANNOT BE FOUND. ARE YOU MISSING BLAH BLAH REFERENCE???", THEN I DON'T KNOW.. REINSTALLING ANOTHER VERSIONS WORKED FOR ME.. MAYBE SEE IF THIS WORKS OR NOT.

IF YOU ARE GETTING THAT RIDICULOUS ERROR WHILE INSTALLING CINEMACHINE AND YOU ARE USING UNITY 2018 AND THE VERSION SHOWING UP IN PACKAGE MANAGER IS 2.2.6 OR 2.4.0 OR SOMETHING, NOT 2.6.3 AS DEFAULT, THEN YOU NEED TO UPGRADE TO A UNITY VERSION EQUAL\ABOVE 2019.4 (ACCORDING TO @Gregoryl )

THERE ARE A LOT OF OTHER CONSOLE ERRORS YOU MIGHT GET BUT I JUST CAN RECOMMEND GOOGLE ING THEM.

IF THE CINEMACHINE TAB SUDDENLY DISAPPEARED,AND GOT A ERROR WITH TIMELINE SAYING AT LAST: "IS NOT ACCESSIBLE BECAUSE OF IT'S PROTECTION LEVEL", DELETE THAT "SCRUB BUBBLE SUPPORT FOR NESTED TIMELINES (EXPERIMENTAL)" SAMPLE ASAP. THEN WAIT 10 SECONDS AND CINE MACHINE TAB COMES BACK SOON ( WE HOPE, FOR ME IT CAME BACK AFTER 5 SECCONDS).

IF IT(THE DAMN TAB) DID NOT COME SUDDENLY AS IT SHOULD, THEN REPEAT 2. AND START FROM 4. WITH ALTERING THEM.PLEASE TRY DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF UNITY.

THE LAST RESORT IS TO USE A VM (OF COURSE TRY ANOTHER VERSIONS OF WINDOWS! OR WHATEVER YOU'RE ON!) BUT JUST TO CREATE AND COPY THAT VERSION OF UNITY WITH GOLDEN PROJECT (ANY PROJECT WITH CINEMACHINE INSTALLED IS GOLDEN).JUST REMEMBER TO TURN THAT "3D GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR" BLAH ON.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  24. SonicTheHedgiehog

SonicTheHedgiehog

Attached Files: