Search Unity

1. Full schedule for #UniteBerlin is now available! Featuring talks on our roadmap, hands-on labs and much more! Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cinemachine Asset Is Installed But Not Working In 2018.1 Editor

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by DavidLieder, May 15, 2018.

1. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

I am using 2018.1.

Cinemachine plugin is throwing some errors in console, such as:

"Assets/Cinemachine/PostFX/CinemachinePostProcessing.cs(160,22): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `PostProcessVolume' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?"

Besides that, Cinemachine editor menu options do not exist. It's like the entire Unity install has no idea Cinemachine exists. Yet it sits in the Assets folder.

This is a total fail. I can't even break Cinemachine because it doesn't show up.

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Delete it from your Assets folder. Then, install it from the Package Manager. It will work.

bowserscastle likes this.
  3. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

Actually, it's a lot of assets, including Post Processing, and other asset store assets. They are installed properly but not showing up in the editor at all. Should Post processing be installed from the package manager? The way I understand package manager is that it is for Unity Technologies assets, and not for 3rd-party asset store assets. This seems very unstable to have multiple assets not registering. I was just using these in 2017.3 fine in this same workspace. It's 2018.1 that is causing the hiccup.

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

With 2018.1, some assets got moved from Asset Store to Package Manager. Both Cinemachine and Post Processing are Unity assets, and have been moved to the Package Manager. While it is possible to use the asset store versions (perhaps with some hiccups, which are resolvable), we recommend to switch to the Packman versions.

The best way to do that, if you're migrating an existing project, is as follows:
    1. Open an empty scene in your project (you can just create a new one, no need to save it)
    2. Delete the Cinemachine asset from your project, and all satellite packages (including CinemachineExamples, and the CinemachinePostProcessing adaptor code)
    3. Import Cinemachine from packman. You will then see the Cinemachine menu.
    4. If you need them, import the CinmachinePostProcessing and Example assets from the CM menu.

If you follow this procedure, none of the metafile IDs will change, and your existing project should remain functional, with all the new CM stuff.

It's likely that an analogous procedure will work with PostProcessing, but I'm not 100% sure. It's also possible that the asset store version of post will just work.

As always, make a full backup before doing this, just in case.

5. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

Okay, thanks. So in 2018.1 and onward, we use the Package Manager to instill these. Got it.

Fortunately, I'm just starting this new project, so it's an easy solution for me. Thanks again.

6. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

I did exactly what you said; however, I do not see a CM menu anywhere.

In packman, it shows that I successfully installed it using packman, and CM says "This package is installed for your project."

But no menu of any kind; thus, I can't use it yet.

7. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

How very strange.
    I just tried it myself:

Downloaded Unity 2018.1
    New project
    Package Manager / Cinemachine, installed:

upload_2018-5-15_15-56-22.png

And then my menu looks like this:

upload_2018-5-15_15-57-16.png

What have you done differently?

8. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

To test this, I created a completely new project just now, and everything installs fine.

The broken project (that caused me to post this thread) is different only in that yesterday I did a reimport of all assets, using the "reimport" menu item. This was because I was concerned something might have gotten corrupted.

I can submit the broken project as a bug report. My theory is that "reimport" does not work in 2018.1 and breaks some kind of metadata associations in the editor. It's really screwy, that's for sure.

Since I'm just starting this particular project, I can go with the completely new project that works. But in my opinion, it's good for people (or Unity) to note that this could be a bug.

To summarize, the only thing I can point to that was different in breaking the project was doing an asset "reimport" within 2018.1.

9. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

For the broken project, I mean that Cinemachine does not show up when installed with packman, but neither does Gaia, NGUI, and many 3rd-party assets that should have menu items.

10. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Usually the console will have output to diagnose this. Perhaps you could post that.

11. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

No, the console is blank.

Do you recommend I submit a complete bug report with a copy of the corrupted project? I've created a completely new project and started over because I don't want to work in a corrupted workspace, and I was just beginning this project anyway. I'm concerned though that this could happen to devs who are in the middle of something.

12. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Yes, that would probably be a good idea. Thanks for following up.

13. TimmyTheTerrible

TimmyTheTerrible

I had this happen to me actually. I installed from the pack manager cinemachine, and some other assets, did not show up. I removed them, reinstalled, then restarted the project when they didn't show up again. Somehow it worked itself out, I'm not sure exactly how, but I haven't tried to reproduce it.