Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cinemachine Asset Is Installed But Not Working In 2018.1 Editor

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by DavidLieder, May 15, 2018.

1. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

I am using 2018.1.

Cinemachine plugin is throwing some errors in console, such as:

"Assets/Cinemachine/PostFX/CinemachinePostProcessing.cs(160,22): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `PostProcessVolume' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?"

Besides that, Cinemachine editor menu options do not exist. It's like the entire Unity install has no idea Cinemachine exists. Yet it sits in the Assets folder.

This is a total fail. I can't even break Cinemachine because it doesn't show up.

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Delete it from your Assets folder. Then, install it from the Package Manager. It will work.

bowserscastle likes this.
  3. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

Actually, it's a lot of assets, including Post Processing, and other asset store assets. They are installed properly but not showing up in the editor at all. Should Post processing be installed from the package manager? The way I understand package manager is that it is for Unity Technologies assets, and not for 3rd-party asset store assets. This seems very unstable to have multiple assets not registering. I was just using these in 2017.3 fine in this same workspace. It's 2018.1 that is causing the hiccup.

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

With 2018.1, some assets got moved from Asset Store to Package Manager. Both Cinemachine and Post Processing are Unity assets, and have been moved to the Package Manager. While it is possible to use the asset store versions (perhaps with some hiccups, which are resolvable), we recommend to switch to the Packman versions.

The best way to do that, if you're migrating an existing project, is as follows:
    1. Open an empty scene in your project (you can just create a new one, no need to save it)
    2. Delete the Cinemachine asset from your project, and all satellite packages (including CinemachineExamples, and the CinemachinePostProcessing adaptor code)
    3. Import Cinemachine from packman. You will then see the Cinemachine menu.
    4. If you need them, import the CinmachinePostProcessing and Example assets from the CM menu.

If you follow this procedure, none of the metafile IDs will change, and your existing project should remain functional, with all the new CM stuff.

It's likely that an analogous procedure will work with PostProcessing, but I'm not 100% sure. It's also possible that the asset store version of post will just work.

As always, make a full backup before doing this, just in case.

5. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

Okay, thanks. So in 2018.1 and onward, we use the Package Manager to instill these. Got it.

Fortunately, I'm just starting this new project, so it's an easy solution for me. Thanks again.

6. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

I did exactly what you said; however, I do not see a CM menu anywhere.

In packman, it shows that I successfully installed it using packman, and CM says "This package is installed for your project."

But no menu of any kind; thus, I can't use it yet.

7. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

How very strange.
    I just tried it myself:

Downloaded Unity 2018.1
    New project
    Package Manager / Cinemachine, installed:

upload_2018-5-15_15-56-22.png

And then my menu looks like this:

upload_2018-5-15_15-57-16.png

What have you done differently?

8. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

To test this, I created a completely new project just now, and everything installs fine.

The broken project (that caused me to post this thread) is different only in that yesterday I did a reimport of all assets, using the "reimport" menu item. This was because I was concerned something might have gotten corrupted.

I can submit the broken project as a bug report. My theory is that "reimport" does not work in 2018.1 and breaks some kind of metadata associations in the editor. It's really screwy, that's for sure.

Since I'm just starting this particular project, I can go with the completely new project that works. But in my opinion, it's good for people (or Unity) to note that this could be a bug.

To summarize, the only thing I can point to that was different in breaking the project was doing an asset "reimport" within 2018.1.

9. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

For the broken project, I mean that Cinemachine does not show up when installed with packman, but neither does Gaia, NGUI, and many 3rd-party assets that should have menu items.

10. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Usually the console will have output to diagnose this. Perhaps you could post that.

11. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

No, the console is blank.

Do you recommend I submit a complete bug report with a copy of the corrupted project? I've created a completely new project and started over because I don't want to work in a corrupted workspace, and I was just beginning this project anyway. I'm concerned though that this could happen to devs who are in the middle of something.

12. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Yes, that would probably be a good idea. Thanks for following up.

DavidLieder likes this.
  13. TimmyTheTerrible

TimmyTheTerrible

I had this happen to me actually. I installed from the pack manager cinemachine, and some other assets, did not show up. I removed them, reinstalled, then restarted the project when they didn't show up again. Somehow it worked itself out, I'm not sure exactly how, but I haven't tried to reproduce it.

DavidLieder likes this.
  14. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

I just completely started with a fresh project.

But I submitted a bug report.

15. DNArt

DNArt

@David i once had a somewhat similar problem with Gaia on windows
    It turned out it tried to show it self on a 3th screen/monitor that wasn't connected any more.
    I changed so many things trying to figure out what was wrong im not sure how i solved and fixed it.
    My guess is i found out days later when i did install the 3th screen/monitor. maybe this is helpful.

DavidLieder likes this.
  16. fahidahmad1060

fahidahmad1060

C:/Users/Developer/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine@2.2.0/Runtime/Behaviours/CinemachineStoryboard.cs(85,33): error CS0115: `Cinemachine.CinemachineStoryboard.ConnectToVcam(bool)' is marked as an override but no suitable method found to override

I got that error after importing from package manager. Any solution?

17. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

18. Chris_Payne_QS

Chris_Payne_QS

I've just had these errors crop up (on building in VS to attach to Unity) in a project that was working fine a few hours ago. Not sure what I changed, but it would only have been local stuff, no package installs. Tried restarted Unity & VS, no joy. All works fine in Unity itself, I just can't compile in VS and therefore can't debug :(

19. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Try re-installing VS

20. K-A277

K-A277

I removed Asset Store version of Cinemachine and installed Cinemachine 2.2.0 through Package Manager of Unity 2018.2.
    Then I got "Cinemachine.Timeline.CinemachineTrack' is inaccessible due to its protection level" error at my below code line :

CinemachineTrack newTrack = timeline_asset.CreateTrack<CinemachineTrack>(null, "CM Track");

Please let me know if there is a way to create CinemachineTrack from script with Cinemachine 2.2.0 .
    Thanks

Edit: and also "CinemachinePostProcessing.cs" is missing in the Cinemachine 2.2.0 package. If it's intended, I'd like to know how to add postprocessing effect to my CinemacineVirtualCamera too. thank you.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  21. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, CinemachineTrack was made internal in 2.2.0. This decision has since been reversed, and is public again in the current preview release 2.2.6. You can get that version from the Staging repository if you need it right away, or wait a week or two for it to become public.

You have to install the PostProcessing code manually, as it depends on another package and we didn't want to force people to install it. It's very easy, just do this:

upload_2018-7-12_18-36-47.png

22. K-A277

K-A277

After importing PostProcessingV2, CinemachinePostProcessing add extension option (in CM virtual camera) showed again. thank you !
    but, not sure how to get the preview version of CM 2.2.6.(never used Unity Staging repository before) Could you send me the link or where to find. thanks again.

23. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

With a text editor edit your project's Packages/manifest.json file and add this line:
    "registry": "https://staging-packages.unity.com",
    immediately before the "dependencies" line. Then open Package Manager, and you will see the experimental and unpublished content in addition to full-fledged releases. Use at your own risk.

24. K-A277

K-A277

Great ! Working fine. I 'm using CM2.2.6 only for the test for now. Thank you much for the help.

Gregoryl likes this.
  25. LoveraSantiago

LoveraSantiago

Hi to all!

Gregoryl, I've followed all those instructions.

First I deleted cinemachine assets stuffs, a lots of errors pop up on Console Window. After that, on Package Manager I've download Cinemachine 2.2.7.

Everything works fines until I open visual studio on my script where I make use of cinemachine.
    After Visual Studios finish load suddenly the import "using Cinemachine" appears underlined in red and the message "The type or namespace name `Cinemachine' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?" as DavidLieder on first post shows.

And on console appears a lot of error messages ... like ...

"Read only asset Packages/com.unity.cinemachine/Gizmos has no meta file."
    "Read only asset Packages/com.unity.cinemachine/README.md has no meta file."
    and
    "Read only asset Packages/com.unity.cinemachine/package.json has no meta file."
    "ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.CompilationUnit.LanguageOf (SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.CompilationUnit unit)
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.CompilationUnit.CompilationUnits (System.String method)
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.CompilationUnit.CompilationUnits ()
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.ProjectSystem.UnitySolutionBuilder..ctor ()
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.ProjectSystem.UnitySolutionBuilder.CreateSolutionFromAssetDatabase ()
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.ProjectFilesGenerator.GenerateProject ()
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.ProjectFilePostprocessor.OnPreGeneratingCSProjectFiles ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal.OnPreGeneratingCSProjectFiles () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssetPostprocessor.cs:194)
    UnityEditor.VisualStudioIntegration.SolutionSynchronizer.Sync () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/VisualStudioIntegration/SolutionSynchronizer.cs:207)
    UnityEditor.SyncVS.SyncIfFirstFileOpenSinceDomainLoad () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SyncProject.cs:199)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    "

So on package manager I remove Cinemachine and after that I make download again and things works until I open visual studio again.

Any help please?

26. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You need to re-install Visual Studio

27. LoveraSantiago

LoveraSantiago

Wow man! Thanks a lot.
    It worked.

Still got this message on console but not big deal.

"Read only asset Packages/com.unity.cinemachine/Gizmos has no meta file."
    "Read only asset Packages/com.unity.cinemachine/README.md has no meta file."
    and
    "Read only asset Packages/com.unity.cinemachine/package.json has no meta file."

28. mhswebmaster

mhswebmaster

When I install the SD Game Kit in my classroom (I teach high school) I get 17 errors on start up. The errors I think are from cinemachine and postprocessingv2 not being allowed to either download or install.. I think I know more about the issue the packages cinemachine never loads on the computer.. It's hard to learn Unity if the program does not load properly. I am going to post some error info that I found. I know that 2 packages will not install for some reason they are:
    • com.unity.cinemachine@2.2.0
    • com.unity.postprocessing@2.0.9-preview

Upon further inspection in the Package Manager these packages have what appears to be an error that says something about a "self signed certificate in the certificate chain."

The error I was looking at says that these packages were unable to be added to the local file system ( I assume this is why they were not written)

Here are some details that might help from the errors I've looked at.

here are two errors that I get in Unity that showed up today...

1 says it can't get to the sites listed in BOLD below and the other mentions a certificate.... My MIS Sonic Wall Manager the manager of the Sonic Wall checked the firewall and is passing both
    Could the "SELF SIGNED CETIFICATE" be blocking something like does something need to be added to the computer's firewall to allow these sites to be trusted??? however the firewalls (windows) are turned off...

Error #1

An error occurred while resolving packages:
    One or more packages could not be added to the local file system:
    com.unity.cinemachine: failed to fetch from registry: https://packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine
    com.unity.postprocessing: failed to fetch from registry: https://packages.unity.com/com.unity.postprocessing

A re-import of the project may be required to fix the issue or a manual modification of C:/Users/davisjt/AppData/Local/Temp/c6c348f268589b84da94713a81ac3d55/Packages/manifest.json file.

Error #2
    An error occurred while resolving packages:
    One or more packages could not be added to the local file system:
    com.unity.cinemachine: self signed certificate in certificate chain
    com.unity.postprocessing: self signed certificate in certificate chain

A re-import of the project may be required to fix the issue or a manual modification of C:/Users/davisjt/AppData/Local/Temp/1d20478b9e1aaff46a9311055b1dfe2f/Packages/manifest.json file.

I loaded this at my house and it worked no issues... it has to have something to do with at school and the security etc...I copied the above to directories from my computer and added them to a system at school and the 17 errors went away SO Something is preventing the 2 packages from installing at school.
    OK.... so any help will be appreciated.

29. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @mhswebmaster ,

These errors are generally the result of a restricted internet connection. So you are right when you say
    . Can you contact your school network administrator or technical support?

Regards,

Pascal

30. mhswebmaster

mhswebmaster

I contacted the school technical support, they did packet tracing in the sonic wall and did not find anything being blocked. Their claim is that it is operational and working... I guess my question is where do they need to go to be able to install and launch the 2D Game Kit.... as in URL and what ports need to be opened??

Thanks

31. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

32. JCFX

JCFX

My project was working before but for some reason I opened it and I am getting this issue after trying to move the camera around. It also starts under the map. The menu cameras work perfectly fine but if i touch the screen to move the camera around it disconnects. I attached the error but I am at a lost of what happened.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Cinemachine.CinemachineBrain.ProcessActiveCamera (Single deltaTime) (at C:/Users/Justin/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine@2.2.7/Runtime/Behaviours/CinemachineBrain.cs:487)

Cinemachine.CinemachineBrain.LateUpdate () (at C:/Users/Justin/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine@2.2.7/Runtime/Behaviours/CinemachineBrain.cs:258)

33. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Looks like there isn't an active vcam. CM 2.2.7 doesn't handle that well (it's a regression, fixed in subsequent releases). You can fix it by ensuring that there is always an active vcam.

34. JCFX

JCFX

Beginner to Unity scripting, but how would you suggest making sure there is always an active camera. I have a bunch of vcams that are activated through the menu. These cameras work when I select them in the menu, but I need to also be able to move the the selected camera. When I touch the screen it deactivates all the camera and goes under my scene. It was working prior to upgrading to 2018.2.5.

35. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Just add another vcam to the scene, at a lower priority. When all the others are deactivated, it will pick up the slack.

36. JCFX

JCFX

So it starts up with that camera but now I have the issue if I want to move it around using a touch screen it goes back to not showing a camera and I get the error again.

37. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Sounds like your code is disabling all the vcams when you touch the screen. Check your logic. It's a little hard for me without context.

38. JCFX

JCFX

I can DM you the code I am using if that will help.