Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cinemachine and Post processing stack

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Mbcburt, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Mbcburt

Mbcburt

I have a basic timeline with cinemachine main camera. I have 2 virtual cameras that i am blending between in the timeline. My issue is how can I blend the cameras post processing fx. Right now it is a harsh cut between the post processing from one camera to another. How do get a nice smooth blend from one camera's post fx to the other?

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

3. Mbcburt

Mbcburt

Thank you, V2 works and looks great!

4. churi24

churi24

Hi, could I use this on production?. I tried to modify the parameters on the post processing in game, but if I close the scene, the changes on the post are recorded, something that I dont want. I think the best way is blending between two post and leave this job to cinemachine.

5. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Both CM and the PPSv2 are being used in numerous productions.

Since the PPSv2 profile is an asset, even changes made during gameplay will be saved - it's actually updating the file as the changes happen. That's a Unity thing, for good and for, sometimes, bad. One way around it is if you're using some kind of source control, to revert the file when needed. Kind of a pain.

Or you can duplicate the file on runtime - use and modify that one and then destroy it at the end. Here's a link to stuff which will help with this idea: https://github.com/keijiro/PostProcessingUtilities

Or, just like you said use CM to blend between two profiles, or use the post processing volumes and get the changes through blending VS manually pushing values (and then getting them saved).

Let us know how it goes

churi24 likes this.
  6. churi24

churi24

Cool, I will take the clone option first because we have the project on Unity 2017.1.0f3 and we are close to release a demo. In a separate branch with Unity 2017.2 I will test the option of blend with cinemachine. Keijiro made a great work, is similar to what I made, but the radical difference is in the clone. Thanks for answer!

7. cgydev

cgydev

Recently shifted to PPSv2 and having some trouble getting post-process to animate. Had a few questions on those

1. Is there anything similar to PostProcessingUtilities for PPSv2 ?
    2. Is there a way to animate individual values of PostProcessingProfile for a single volume ?

8. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

9. megan_l_fox

megan_l_fox

I'm using Cinemachine 2.1.10, so I do get the post-processing blend (I think?), and I'm using the state-based camera to blend between cameras during gameplay. Unfortunately, it... pulses, for lack of a better word. It almost looks like the vignette doubles up, or something like that. It gets darker then lighter as it blends between cameras.

This is Unity 2017 LTS, if it matters.

Is there any way to convince it to not blend post-processing? Should I be setting up a camera stack where the post-processing lives on a camera that renders on top of the Cinemachine camera, instead of assigning the post-processing component to each of the child cameras on my state camera?

EDIT: Here's video of what I mean (in the tweet). You can see the flicker. It looks like all of the post-processing is turning off? https://twitter.com/glassbottommeg/status/1072533523146391552

EDIT2: Disregard, figured it out - your Cinemachine Postprocessing component needs to live on the parent state-based camera, not on the various child cameras. Though presumably you can put it on the child cameras if you DO want it to blend between post-processing variants per-camera.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018