Search Unity

1. Full schedule for #UniteBerlin is now available! Featuring talks on our roadmap, hands-on labs and much more! Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cinemachine and Documentation

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Dorodo, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Dorodo

Dorodo

Hey everyone!

I just want to say I've been having a blast setting up things with cinemachine, especially from an artist viewpoint. I've been trying to absorb as much as I can from the asset as I'm putting it into practice, but I must say I've been having a hard time looking for guidance on customizing Cinemachine. I am familiar with the Unite talks and how you can integrate it with Timeline and the Playables API, and most of the stuff that's available in the editor is really well broken down in the descriptions and the nature of being able to mess around with stuff during playtime really speeds up the process of getting along with the asset.

However I'm struggling with that "Ok, this can be awesome. What next?" phase. Most of the tutorials I found explain the overall structure, however a huge part of what I could found were more focused on applying it onto cutscenes and non-playable moments, and I feel a lack of examples that show how to really nail down what you want your camera doing or not doing during gameplay. 2.1 Seems to have a lot of new cool things that are a step on the right direction, and I'm really happy to see the devs giving support and being active here.

I would really appreciate if there was a place where I could find a bit more about things such as the cinemachineBrain class and its properties, or how to change the camera input from keyboard to controller at runtime. I realize these might be really simple issues, which is why I think having a place to learn from this or having some sort of document bible would be beneficial to the devs as well.

Thank you in advance and keep rocking on, guys. ;)

georgiegrace likes this.
  2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Hi @Dorodo,

We're working on the documentation and examples, but yes we're a little behind. Until we catch up there are, in addition to the example scenes shipped with Cinemachine, some interim documents that contain much of the information you're seeking. If you look in the Cinemachine install directory, you'll find a document called CINEMACHINE_install.pdf which, despite the misleading name, does in fact contain detailed documentation of all the fields you'll see in the inspector for all the Cinemachine classes. That's the first place to look.

If you're doing scripting, then there is also a document called CinemachineAPI.chm that documents the stuff not directly appearing in the inspector, such as API calls and base classes.

And don't forget the tooltips in the inspector. They're quite helpful if you find yourself asking the question "what is this for?"

And finally, this forum is a really good resource if you have questions. Don't be shy about asking them here :)

georgiegrace and Dorodo like this.
  3. georgiegrace

georgiegrace

Oh my god, I can't believe I only just found out that this information is actually in the Cinemachine package. Maybe it would be good to put this somewhere in the Unity manual? I've been looking for it everywhere online.

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

It will eventually make it into the Unity manual. Until then, we've made access really easy:

upload_2017-11-30_8-30-4.png

upload_2017-11-30_8-30-51.png

georgiegrace likes this.
  5. Deeeds

Deeeds

6. Deeeds

Deeeds

7. Dorodo

Dorodo

8. lyons1005

lyons1005

Is it possible to download the contents of the Cinemachine Package and include that within the Unity project? If I install, or update a package, do my team members, or build machines, need to manually repeat the process?

9. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

lyons1005 likes this.