Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

cinemachine and animation from other software

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by netpost, Mar 3, 2019.

1. netpost

netpost

Hello to all,

My apologizes if this is a dumb question, Newbie here.... :)

When using Cinemachine with looped animated clip from Unity my camera follow my character without any problem but if I use an imported animation from another software ( Iclone 7), it does not work. It seems like the camera is stuck looking and at the origin of the animation, a bit like cinemachine does not understand that my character is moving (walking). Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you.

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

It sounds like your animation is being exported in such a way that the root is static and only the mesh vertices move around. If you can get it to export the root motion plus vertex motion relative to that, then CM will be able to track that. You can't directly get CM to track a vertex in your mesh. It needs a transform as a target.

3. netpost

netpost

It makes sense. Thank you for the quick reply Gregory.

4. netpost

netpost

In this case the imported animation wasn't the problem. I solved the problem in Unity by setting the root transform position (XZ) to "base upon original" in the animation clip inspector, you also have to uncheck bake into pose. Than CM will follow the mesh animation transform. Hope this help someone else. :)

Dan_Miller and Gregoryl like this.
  5. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

It helped me although I haven't got to that point yet. So far I've only been testing importing iClone 7 motions, with facial mocap and some movement. So what you're mentioning here will be helpful, thanks.

I'm trying to understand the workflow from iClone 7 to Unity. It looks like I have to export from iClone with motions using 'All' or 'Range', then it looks like I have to export a second time with just the character. The reason being is that the second time is in T-pose, fix about 4 bones, and then that will be the character used. The motions seem to be integrated with the character as in unable to separate them out so that also makes it interesting. And then, for more motions once it is in Unity, I see that I can't simply use a Mixamo animation on the same Timeline. It has to be an iClone motion and the method so far appears to be to create a new iClone project with the same character, attach a motion, export 'All', and bring the whole thing in to Unity again just to use that one motion. This seems like a really goofy workflow so maybe I just have it all wrong. What is your workflow? Thanks.

6. markvi

markvi

Unity Technologies

7. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

Ok, and thanks for the reply. I did read through that as well and I finally got everything working. But the workflow is not at all fun. At this point I'm seriously considering just using iClone 7 for movies. And later use Unity for games. Particularly since I haven't had any success with OctaneRender in Unity. Thanks for the help.

8. netpost

netpost

I don't have any workflow. I bought a whole bunch of assets (more than 120) and trying to get my head around unity. Cinemachine is free and is a great asset.
    I am using Character creator 3 to export my character with animations for my experiments.

9. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

Got it, I was getting extremely frustrated until about an hour ago. After watching a recently released video from RL it answered most of my questions. The only remaining problem is getting a CC3 character working on the Timeline so I can use it with Cinemachine. Have you figured that one out? Normally you just drag the character down on the Timeline to create an animation track, and then drag an animation to the track. But that's not working.

This video helped me a lot.

10. netpost

netpost

Since we are getting a bit off topic (This is a cinemachine thread). I will answer in the CC3 to unity thread in the relation forum.

unityunity