Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Cinemachine 2.6 Official

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by marc_tanenbaum, Jun 29, 2020.

1. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hello friends!

We're delighted to announce that Cinemachine 2.6 (previously available only as preview) has now been officially published to Package Manager. Cinemachine 2.6 comes with a raft of new features and fixes which you can read about in this blog post, or you can read the complete changelog here.

Cinemachine 2.6 works with 2019 and up.

To add to a new project, open the Package Manager (Window > Package Manager), find Cinemachine, and click Install.

To add to a project that currently contains Cinemachine, open the Package Manager (Window > Package Manager), find Cinemachine, and click Update to 2.6.0.

In either case, don't forget to check out the included Samples to see what Cinemachine can do!

High level view of changes:
    • Virtual cameras now created based on Scene View orientation
    • Better support for input systems
    • New aiming rig
    • Improved lookahead
    • Impulse now has propagation
    • New samples including aiming rig, dual target rig and camera magnets
    Propagation2.gif

As always, we hope you get great use out of the new version. If you have any questions, problems, complaints, or praise, don't hesitate to post in this forum!

art092, LudiKha, shyamarama and 2 others like this.
  2. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

2.6.0 fails to compile with:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Library\PackageCache\com.unity.cinemachine@2.6.0\Runtime\Behaviours\CinemachineConfiner.cs(179,13): error CS0103: The name 'm_BoundingShape2DCache' does not exist in the current context
    We have Physics 2D disabled in our project.
    Part of the code in
    CinemachineConfiner.cs
    is inside some
    #if
    , part of it is outside, that's why it doesn't compile.

3. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the feedback! We will fix that

4. PythagoRascal

PythagoRascal

Hi, thank you for the update, especially for the support for new input systems. One thing that is not immediately clear to me from the docs of IInputAxisProvider is how the "axis" value is used. Is it just: X = 0, Y = 1, Z = 2?

5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Thanks for that. We will fix the docs. Your interpretation is correct.

PythagoRascal likes this.
  6. netpost

netpost

@Gregoryl

Nice update but there seems to be something that does not work as it use too. Before it was easy to readjust the virtual cameras that were part of the timeline selecting the camera in the hierarchy and applying transform on the selected camera. Not this seem impossible. For example selecting a virtual camera , raising it on the Y axis does not apply the change in the timeline anymore, it seems like the camera animation transitions are baked and not editable anymore. I am using Unity 2019.3.13f1 for your info.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

7. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@netpost Can you show an image of the inspector of a vcam that has this problem?

8. netpost

netpost

@Gregoryl Thanks for the quick reply.

It will be easier to see with a video. Basically I edit a virtual camera but the transform are lost when playing the timeline the next time.

https://we.tl/t-D0o1Xidcz0

Thanks for your help!

9. netpost

netpost

This is a second video where I have problem Changing the Z rotation for my virtual camera. Thanks again for your help!

https://we.tl/t-tyJhldA4xK

10. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

This is very strange. When I try it, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Would you be willing to submit a bug report for this?

Does it work if you drag the gizmo in the scene view?

11. netpost

netpost

Same here, that why I hesitate before reporting this.

No it does not.

I thought that was what I was dong right now. ;)

I am not sure but I think it might be related tp a new cache feature. I did not have any cache feature before installing this version of Cinemachine. But know I can see a cache when playing the timeline. Could that be possible? I might have to go back to a previous version because I need to get some work done and I feel unsecure not being sure if my virtual can be adjusted later on. I also notice that if I assign something in the
    field, and than later want to set it to none, I can not do that neither but again, sometime it works, other time it doesn't.

12. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I don't think it's the cache. You can turn off the cache by clicking on a CM clip and disabling this checkbox:

upload_2020-8-7_15-53-0.png

You only have to do it once, it's a global setting.

13. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

What versions of Unity and Timeline are you using? Did you upgrade those recently also?

14. netpost

netpost

@Gregoryl

Thanks again for the quick reply and cache bypass info. It seems related to the cache. If I disable "use scrub bubble" than I can use the gizmo tool to move the camera. If I enable "use scrub bubble" the gizmo tools works only in the timeline section where I did not play (cache) the camera.

15. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Very interesting. I will investigate. Thanks for the heads up!

16. netpost

netpost

@Gregoryl

I am using Unity 2019.3.13f1 and Timeline 1.2.14.

17. netpost

netpost

@Gregoryl

I will let you know if I find anything else.

Thank you.

18. netpost

netpost

@Gregoryl

I deleted an asset (Super Pivot tool) that I started using yesterday. I am not saying that the asset is the problem but deleting it solve my rotation problem meaning that I can now enter rotation values in the virtual cam. This did not solve
    the cache problem but just disabling "use scrub Bubble" works for me. I think I am back to the normal.

Thanks again for your quick replies and help!

19. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@netpost You were right, there was a problem with scrub bubble that locked the vcam transforms beyond the cache range - we have fixed it for 2.6.1. Thanks for posting here!

20. netpost

netpost

@Gregoryl

Thank you and the Unity team for the quick reply and support.

21. harentius

harentius

Hello. When I try to drag Virtual Camera to Cinemachine Shot noting happens:

How can I debug reason of this?

Update: (Didn't remove it in case someone else faced the same issue): To solve issue, need to add CinemachineTrack to the Bindings of the PlayableDirector

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  22. Gen_Scorpius

Gen_Scorpius

I was about to ask if there is any new news regarding the dots version of cinemachine because I had an annoying behaviour that my vcam that was following my player character (via an intermediary empty gameobject) was always a frame late with its position update.

But then by accident, I saw that you could do a manual cinemachine brain update which allows me to trigger it in an ecs system after physics and gameplay code is done. So camera updates run now very smoothly. :)

Thanks for providing that manual update option.

Gregoryl likes this.
  23. ianhsieh

ianhsieh

Hi there, it seems like 2.6.1 has lots of bugs fixed. But after upgrading to 2.6.1 (or later versions, even in 2.6.3), basic multi channel perlin in timeline preview doesn't work. The shake effect won't show up in game view.

24. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

The shake will show up if you press preview play on the timeline, but not when you scrub manually. Is that what you're seeing?

25. ianhsieh

ianhsieh

Hi Gregoryl, sorry for my late reply and thanks for your quick response.

Scrubbing is one of the issue. But I think it has been like that since V2.6.0. Nothing changes during the period from V2.6.0 to V2.6.3.

The main issue I bumped into is that I pressed preview play in timeline and there was no shake effect shown on game view. Then I tried impulse source component to make shake effect. It worked nicely in preview playing and scrubbing. But unfortunately, our team has already built a sound pipeline for multi channel perlin shake effect and there's no return at this point. I wonder whether if this preview issue is reproducible.

Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  26. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

So, am I to understand that your problem is solved, and that we need take no further action on this issue? For us, Perlin Noise shake does work in Timeline preview, so your issue may have to do with something specific in your project.

27. ianhsieh

ianhsieh

@Gregoryl So is that correct for me to understand that Perlin Noise does work in 2.6.3 timeline preview? I'll find out what happens in our project. Thanks for your helpful response.

28. Immu

Immu

Fresh project on Unity 2019.4.14f1 (3D - PC)
    Import cinemachine 2.6.0 no issue, upgrading to 2.6.1 no issue.

Upgrading to 2.6.2, 2.6.3 or 2.6.4 triggers me this:
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. Package Manager Window had an error while completing an operation: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Users\Sylvie\Documents\Announce\New Unity Project\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.cinemachine@2.6.2\Samples~/Nested Timeline Scrub Bubble\CinemachineTimelineEditorExtensions\TimelineEditorExtensions\TimelineEditorExtensions.asmref'.
    2. File name: 'C:\Users\Sylvie\Documents\Announce\New Unity Project\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.cinemachine@2.6.2\Samples~/Nested Timeline Scrub Bubble\CinemachineTimelineEditorExtensions\TimelineEditorExtensions\TimelineEditorExtensions.asmref'
    3.   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError (System.Int32 errorCode, System.String maybeFullPath) [0x000c4] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0
    4.   at System.IO.FileInfo.get_Length () [0x0003f] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0
    5.   at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileInfo.get_Length()
    6.   at UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IOUtils.DirectorySizeInBytes (System.String path) [0x00027] in <68af50843d0a45398c92799647332ec2>:0
    7.   at UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.Sample.get_size () [0x00031] in <68af50843d0a45398c92799647332ec2>:0
    8.   at UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.PackageSampleItem..ctor (UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackageVersion version, UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.Sample sample) [0x00042] in <68af50843d0a45398c92799647332ec2>:0
    9.   at UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.PackageSampleList.SetPackageVersion (UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackageVersion version) [0x0007e] in <68af50843d0a45398c92799647332ec2>:0
    10.   at UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.PackageDetails.SetDisplayVersion (UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackageVersion version) [0x00241] in <68af50843d0a45398c92799647332ec2>:0
    11.   at UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.PackageDetails.SetPackage (UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackage package, UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackageVersion version) [0x0004d] in <68af50843d0a45398c92799647332ec2>:0
    12.   at UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.PackageDetails.OnPackagesUpdated (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] updatedPackages) [0x00085] in <68af50843d0a45398c92799647332ec2>:0
    13.   at UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.PackageDetails.<OnEnable>b__23_0 (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] added, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] removed, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] preUpdate, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] postUpdate) [0x00000] in <68af50843d0a45398c92799647332ec2>:0
    14.   at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.Action`4[System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackage],System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackage],System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackage],System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackage]].invoke_void_T1_T2_T3_T4(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackage>,System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackage>,System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackage>,System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackage>)
    15.   at UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.PackageDatabase+PackageDatabaseInternal.OnPackagesChanged (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] packages) [0x00168] in <68af50843d0a45398c92799647332ec2>:0
    16.   at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.Action`1[System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackage]].invoke_void_T(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.IPackage>)
    17.   at UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.UpmClient+UpmClientInternal.OnPackageInfosUpdated (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] packageInfos) [0x00166] in <68af50843d0a45398c92799647332ec2>:0
    18.   at UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.UpmClient+UpmClientInternal.OnProcessAddResult (UnityEditor.PackageManager.Requests.Request`1[T] request) [0x00042] in <68af50843d0a45398c92799647332ec2>:0
    19.   at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.Action`1[UnityEditor.PackageManager.Requests.AddRequest].invoke_void_T(UnityEditor.PackageManager.Requests.AddRequest)
    20.   at UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.UpmBaseOperation`1[T].OnSuccess () [0x00002] in <68af50843d0a45398c92799647332ec2>:0
    21. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()
    I've tried reimporting the project. And delete library. No effect.
    Package manager clearly mentioned it is 'verified' so i'm a bit bewildered right now.

Edit:
    -same issue on 2.6.1 as soon as I click on the installed package entry in package manager window

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    HIBIKI_entertainment likes this.
  29. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reporting this.
    I'm not able to reproduce it, however.
    Using a PC.
    New 3D project using 2019.4.14f1
    Installed CM 2.6.0
    Upgraded to CM 2.6.3
    No errors.
    What am I missing?

30. vaniagarwal19555

vaniagarwal19555

Did you upgrde the recent version :)

31. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Ah, interesting. We have similar issues with the Scrub bubble errors and package manager compile errors as @Immu has mentioned.

I will collect Information as well

32. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

I can further confirm its the exact same error as @Immu

I made a new hdrp template project and install was fine same as your @Gregoryl

However our core populated project, which was updated to 2.6.3 has thrown the errors.
    Installing/ uninstalling/ library rebuilding or packi cache doesn't seem to help here.

If I remember correctly there was some cinemachine menu that had experimental features in previous versions. I thought the scrub bubble may have been one of them.

The only other thing I noticed last week when diving into this was that our populated project never updated the package manifest to include cinemachine.

Hope that helps some.

33. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I don't understand this. Can you elaborate?

34. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@Immu @HIBIKI_ent You might be tripping over a bug where the package manager rejects paths that are too long. Can you try moving your project to a place with a short path?

35. HeyItsLollie

HeyItsLollie

I really hope the team considers turning that Camera Magnet sample into a fully-fledged Cinemachine feature. It's a super-common use-case that Cinemachine currently doesn't have a way of replicating without using custom code.

36. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Certainly.
    -We pulled a fresh project from Collab to test updates (editor and cinemachine)
    -Once pulled, library rebuild etc, cinemachine was updated to 2.6.3, and the error mentioned struck
    -initial checks were to make sure it downloaded locally properly
    "roll back" to 2.6.0 (that essentially introduced more errors.)
    - back to fresh collab pull and any changes there, of which none.

-we then proceeded to update again from 2.6.0 to 2.6.3 same again, we checked the changes and this time the packaged manifest had excluded

"com.unity.cinemachine": "2.6.3"

Packages-lock.json however did include the file.

Hope that helps elaborate some.
    I'm attempting a shorter project path as you've mentioned above now, thanks for the imput (NOTE:This may have solved the issue, we're now two folders in from root rather than 4 originally)

37. asishvora

asishvora

I get the following error:-

[Package Manager Window] Error adding package: com.unity.cinemachine@2.6.4.
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions ()

38. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Try it on a fresh project