Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cinema4D: Adjusting an animated model without using animation.

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by shouldice, Jan 17, 2014.

1. shouldice

shouldice

We often find that an imported character will have huge eyes, or a tiny jaw or something. When the animation plays, however, everything looks fine and is at the right scale. This is because the animation contains curves that set the scale and position of bones to what they're supposed to be. For instance: the animator pasted a custom eye into existing character file, and scaled it down to fit in the character's eye socket. This scaling is encoded as a flat animation curve for the whole timeline. My question is this: In Cinema4D, is there a way to set the non-animated position, scale, and rotation of bones (etc), so we're not relying on animation to get everything to look correct?

I don't use C4D myself, so I'm not sure what the paradigm is. I'll explain it in Unity terms to help clarify: in the Unity editor, when something is controlled by an animation, the red "record" light is on. When you leave animation mode, the animation sandbox is removed, and the objects return to their original, un-animated states. Is there an analogous process in C4D, allowing the animator to (for example) scale the eyes correctly for the non-animated character, and therefore not have to include scale curves for the eyes as part of all the animations?

If it's important, we're using FBX, not native C4D files.

Thanks!