Search Unity

cinema 4d baking

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by feloxy, Nov 23, 2009.

1. feloxy

feloxy

Ok so i did a test level and i added all my materials and bumps then i clicked on bake object entered 4096 for high detail and single texture then baked my object. I get a new texture but i dont know where i missed a step, its a low detail texture and it looks like an n64 game lol ( no offense ) before the baking everything looks all pretty and then i dont know its just not the same. what did i miss? thanks

2. feloxy

feloxy

um anyone ? lol any tips or anything

3. Per

Per

It sounds like your UV's aren't set up well, poor UV mapping will result in too much detail in areas you don't need it and too little in areas you do, even a 4k texture (very high for a game model I might add) is going to come out pixelated and low res if the UV's aren't well thought out.

It is unfortunately one of those long slow (and often frustrating) processes of learning through experience, fortunately you have Bodypaint which has some of the best UV tools out there. Have a look on the web, there are also a number of tutorials covering UVing and texturing for games that may help.

4. artzfx

artzfx

Are you saying the baked map looks bad in the C4D viewport once you bake it or once you bring it into Unity? just thought I would clarify.

5. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

That's dificult to say. Depending on your workflow you might have the following problems:

1. You want to us lightmaps and trxtuemaps on two different texture maps but don't have 2 UVs setup correctly for two maps (and/or don't have the needed plugin for 2 UVs from these forums).
    2. You have a LOT of objects that unwrap to small pieces. In that case you lose a lot of detail for sure. Go for the 2 UV set option if possible.
    You see - in the process of baking to a single map everything needs to fit on that single map you're creating. You cannot use tiling anymore as everything on your Texture map needs it's own place that cannot be shared as easily as before.
    3. You have not increased the texture resolution inside Unity (as it's default to 1024).

6. korniton

korniton

just bake it 15kx15k