Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CiDy 2.7 Procedural City Designer

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RecklessGames_, Feb 11, 2016.

1. tredpro

tredpro

no errors. it places another node there just doesnt connect them.

2. tredpro

tredpro

sometimes i can get these notifications though
    Edge Intersects another Edge
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log (object)
    CiDy.CiDyGraph:ConnectNodes (CiDy.CiDyNode,CiDy.CiDyNode,single,int,int,bool,CiDy.CiDyRoad/RoadLevel,CiDy.CiDyRoad/LaneType,single,single,single) (at Assets/CiDy/CiDyAssets/CiDyScripts/CiDyGraph.cs:2177)
    CiDy.CiDyEditor:OnSceneGUI (UnityEditor.SceneView) (at Assets/CiDy/CiDyAssets/Editor/CiDyEditor.cs:1377)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr)

Failed Graph Test Cannot Add Connection
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log (object)
    CiDy.CiDyEditor:OnSceneGUI (UnityEditor.SceneView) (at Assets/CiDy/CiDyAssets/Editor/CiDyEditor.cs:1393)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr)

but when that happens it doesnt even place the road. the node scale is at 200 and 4 of them takes up most of my screen

3. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

That error means two roads are trying to cross eachother.

4. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

perhaps something else is going on, If this isnt a fresh empty project, first try testing cidy in that.

5. tredpro

tredpro

Yes .....like I said. Its not connecting its just placing another node for the road

6. tredpro

tredpro

deleting and reinstalling fixed it

7. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

Any news on the new update? We are currently testing the asset for our game, not sure if we should just wait for the update or try to work with the current version.

8. BlueAndPurple

BlueAndPurple

This asset looks great and like a huge time saver. I am wondering if there is a way to generate sidewalks with a mesh prefab? I am hoping to have different sidewalks depending on if they are at the end of a driveway or not and from what I can tell from the videos, it is only the generated sidewalks.

9. BlueAndPurple

BlueAndPurple

Also just thought of this, can the building distance from the sidewalks be changed/set to be random?
    For example, if i have a residential area and i would like some houses to have front yards and some to not, is this possible or would i need to drag some houses back manually after using this tool?
    Thanks.

10. Zaproxy

Zaproxy

In the latest release it says you added compatibility with Map Magic 2. Does that mean we can generate cities/roads with the Map Magic 2 generators in Unity or at runtime?

jaydnwlsn and MaximilianPs like this.
  11. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

Same issue here, I generate medieval-fantasy town on a terrain generated at run-time the first time that the game start, and still the same until the user start a new game.
    So after that I've created the land, I use mine script to splat the terrain to spawn towns, at this point I'm looking for an asset that can randomize the town's buildings and create a the walls all around the city.

If I can achive that, we have and agreement :D

12. Roboserg

Roboserg

1. Is there a possibility to generate cities from OSM (open street maps). I can do roads in EasyRoad3d, but manually defining building areas will be a nightmare

2. Is there integration with EasyRoad3d?

3. Can roads be generated with walls / boundaries on the sides? So that you can't drive off of the road (hence my question about EasyRoads if this is not supported, I need road barriers)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    MorpheusXI likes this.
  13. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Thanks for updating the asset and making it much much easier to use, looks like terrain is auto tagged now ?

14. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Running into a weird issue where the node markers are appearing during gameplay.

How do I fix this

15. hjonersjr

hjonersjr

@keithsoulasa
    If you add these two lines to CiDyEditor.cs in the void OnDestroy() method:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             graph.DisableCellGraphics();
    2.             graph.DisableNodeGraphics();
    The nodes and cells will "turn off". Otherwise, you have to make sure to uncheck them in the CiDy Editor window before you close it.

16. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Thank you for catching this.

I will check and Update the Code.

Thank you for your continued support,
    Steven M.

17. mukki014

mukki014

Hi Sir. I've been trying to import Cidy 2 in unity android platform but importing takes really long time as it compressing textures. But other assets don't take that much time to import even greater than the size of cidy2. Is there any workaround? I will be using my own assets for building and other stuffs.

18. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Do you have Crunch Compression On for your Textures?

I found that this is the Extra Import time, Unity Imports the Raw Texture and then applies Crunch Compression(Long Step for Every Texture that has any level of Crunch Compression Applied)

Now Dont get me wrong , Crunch is Great for the final result build size,

but not during development.

mukki014 likes this.
  19. mukki014

mukki014

I have default ETC2 compression on android. Is there any particular setting? I'm okay with longer import time. But sometimes it just don't progress. I will try it again.

20. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Is their an easy way to resize the lanes after creating the roads ?

Love the asset btw !

21. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Looks like I'm seeing some very large CidyGaiamask .exr files which are adding massively to my build size.

Can you let me know if these can be removed.

22. Teila

Teila

I swore I would buy nothing during the sales but finally @RecklessGames_ I am going to use in our game. It will make city so much better. Thank you!!!

23. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Thank you for your Support.

Please Watch the Latest Tutorials to get you up and Running. :)

https://www.recklessgamesstudio.com/videos.html

Thanks,
    Steven M.

Teila likes this.
  24. spawnpointgaming

spawnpointgaming

@RecklessGames_ Well I was trying to make a small city with gaia pro 2021 using unity 2021.2.7f1 version (Standard URP) & CiDy 2 Version 2.7.4 and somehow while creating city I am getting all normals missing you could check the screenshot attached. When I am trying to select a model & view if mesh or something else is missing its still the same them I have tried to import both CiDy & gaia 2021 pro in new project its still the same but when I try to use inbuild renderer it does work so am I missing something in URP mode ?

Attached Files:

25. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

The Package has the Builtin Shaders on the Models as Default,

If you are working in URP or HDRP Please import the Shader Packages that come with CiDy 2 Asset.
    Location of Packages = CiDy->CiDyAssets->ShaderPackages->HDRShader.package

This will Update the Shaders to the Required SRP Pipeline and Clear the Pink Shaders(Unity's Default way of Saying Invalid Shader)

spawnpointgaming likes this.
  26. spawnpointgaming

spawnpointgaming

@RecklessGames_ thanks for quick reply, that did really fixed my issue I was facing with URP in windows build, now could you please help me fixed the collider issues I am facing with prebuild residential, downtown, industrial buildings as there are no colliders in the whole build only their bases have a mesh collider. So if I want to add or modify those default mesh colliders & place a box collider on whole builds, so how should I achieve this ?

27. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

I'm not 100% sure I understand your Issue.

But if you are saying your Buildings Don't Have Colliders, You can Simply Add them to your Prefabs that you are using if you want them to spawn with Colliders.
    Since the System uses a Reference to the Source Prefab you can update the Source Prefab with a Collider in your Resources Folder and the Prefabs in the Scene will Update as well(As Long as you haven't unboxed them in from there Parent Prefab Connection)

The Roads and Sidewalks all Have Colliders applied so that shouldn't be an Issue.

Here are Simple Images to Better Illustrate the Process if you want to Add ANY Component to a Prefab Parent and Have it Apply to all the Scene Prefabs connected to that Parent Prefab.

Find Source Prefab that is Referenced in your Theme Folder.
    Normally CiDy->CiDyAssets->Resources->CiDyResources->ThemeFolder

BuildingPrefab.PNG

Then Add The Component To the Highest Resolution LOD Mesh as this will Automatically Size it for you Matching the Mesh Renderer's Bounding Box.
    AddedComponentToPrefabHighestResolutionLOD.PNG

Then Choose Override Apply All to update all prefabs connected to Parent.

ApplyChangesToPrefab.PNG

And Check your Results have Instantly Updated in the Scene without you having to Regenerate Any Prefabs.
    AllBuildingsInSceneAutoUpdateBasedOnParentPrefab.PNG
    I Hope I answered your Question.

Best of Luck in your Project. :)

Thanks,
    Steven M.

28. DrMeatball

DrMeatball

Followed the quick setup video but I'm not sure where I've gone wrong. Can't create nodes. Shift + RMB not doing anything. I've done the Layer/Layer setup on my terrains.

As soon as I run the Cidy editor I get this:

cidy.png

I click the button and I get the editor:

cidy2.png

but no luck with placing nodes.

Morriarte likes this.
  29. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Just seen your Post to Forum,

Sorry you are having issues.

Did you resolve them Since you Posted this?

If not, Open a New Empty Scene and Create a Basic Unity Terrain.
    Then Open the CiDy Editor from the Window Dropdown and Test in that to confirm its operating before we move back to the Larger Scene.

CiDy Automatically Sets up the Terrains
    if they are present in the Scene
    The First time you Create the Window,
    it will generate a Scene object CiDyGraph where all the City Elements will be Stored in the Scene.

As long as the Terrains are in the Layers = "Terrain" and there TAG = "Terrain"
    And the Editor Window is Open in Edit Mode.

When you Hold Shift, CiDyEditor takes control of Scene View
    and When you Shift+RMB it will Raycast into the Scene and Hit Those Layers and Tags for Node Placement and Begin Placing Nodes,
    (Because it uses Physics Raycast, You will have to make sure your Terrains have an Active Collider on them (They do by default when using Unity Terrain,GAIA etc)

Without a Terrain Collider the system will not be able to Place anything as it cant determine the point you are clicking on.

What Version of Unity are you working in?
    What is the Render Pipeline you are Working in?
    What Type of Terrain System are you Using?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  30. DrMeatball

DrMeatball

Hey super sorry for the late reply.. tried everything listed and still had the same problem. I ended up trying a whole new project to test, there it worked fine. Huh? Went back to my original, reimported CiDY and all was good.

Not sure what happened but A++ and working perfectly.. ty!!

Morriarte likes this.
  31. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

Hi, I've got Cidy 2 on my project, and it really is a brilliant tool.

I've got a question here though... we are also using Road Architect for other paths, since it has all the bridges and other roady bits and bobs. I was looking for some way to get the best of both...

Ideally what I'd love to do is somehow integrate Cidy and Road Architect to get Cidy blocks and RA streets... But really, it doesn't even need to go that far... All I'd need is a way to generate cidy blocks without visible roads, so we can later run RA streets across the map.

Is something like that possible?

What we have done here is we gave the streets an invisible material, and that actually did work to make invisible roads, but I think the road meshes are probably still being generated... I wanted to ask if there is a way to disable the road mesh generation somehow.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

32. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

No, currently there isn't a builtin way, you will most likely just have to Mass Delete after your satisfied with the Layout or Turn off the Mesh Renderers in the Mean Time.

33. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

Thanks. Yeah, I think that will work for now.

34. gekidoslayer

gekidoslayer

Unity Technologies

Question about cell / building generation - Often I'd like to have buildings along side of a road but it's not a closed loop / cell, for example for a neighborhood like this:

GoogleMaps.png

Any thoughts about how you might create something like this and/or might something like this be on a roadmap?

HeadClot88 likes this.
  35. wechat_os_Qy05gz3PHWtZvNgQE9GFHYckE

wechat_os_Qy05gz3PHWtZvNgQE9GFHYckE

Hi, I met some troubles in my project with Cidy 2 and really need help:(

I follow the tutorial and make a city, but there is a bug when I press the play button.

I tried many times to figure out what the problem is and then I found out that after I made a node(shift+right click), the bug show up.

I don't know if there is something wrong with my operation

my unity version is 2019.4.40,and the cidy2 is 2.7.4, use the Built-in Render Pipeline

the bug as follows:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEngine.InternalStaticBatchingUtility.CombineGameObjects (UnityEngine.GameObject[] gos, UnityEngine.GameObject staticBatchRoot, System.Boolean isEditorPostprocessScene, UnityEngine.InternalStaticBatchingUtility+StaticBatcherGOSorter sorter) (at <d7af1f7c51e94179a29dba37a373cdef>:0)
    3. UnityEngine.InternalStaticBatchingUtility.Combine (UnityEngine.GameObject staticBatchRoot, System.Boolean combineOnlyStatic, System.Boolean isEditorPostprocessScene, UnityEngine.InternalStaticBatchingUtility+StaticBatcherGOSorter sorter) (at <d7af1f7c51e94179a29dba37a373cdef>:0)
    4. UnityEditor.UnityBuildPostprocessor.OnProcessScene (UnityEngine.SceneManagement.Scene scene, UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport report) (at <1c3f2414c4a84f3b8595a170f3d15b04>:0)
    5. UnityEditor.Build.BuildPipelineInterfaces+<>c__DisplayClass16_0.<OnSceneProcess>b__1 (UnityEditor.Build.IProcessSceneWithReport spp) (at <1c3f2414c4a84f3b8595a170f3d15b04>:0)
    6. UnityEditor.Build.BuildPipelineInterfaces.InvokeCallbackInterfacesPair[T1,T2] (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] oneInterfaces, System.Action`1[T] invocationOne, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] twoInterfaces, System.Action`1[T] invocationTwo, System.Boolean exitOnFailure) (at <1c3f2414c4a84f3b8595a170f3d15b04>:0)
    7. UnityEditor.Build.BuildPipelineInterfaces:OnSceneProcess(Scene, BuildReport)

36. Mena99

Mena99

Hello

few questions about the asset:

1) is there is any Discord server we can join ?
    2) I've checked the reviews, most of them complains about the project not being optimized at all and it takes forever to run the playtime , someone mentioned that he could go and watch a movie waittin for it load?!

I wanted to build something for android, if this cant handle pc, I don't think it's fit for android or vr as it claims!
    3) some ppl complained about the asset failing to create roads, either leaves the grass underneath the road or having only 1 side pavement ...etc

4) how good does it work with the default unity Terran because I dont have gaia!??

5) some ppl also complained that the region in the middle between buildings and on the building sides are left alone without any chance of havin a nice landscape in the middle ( nice landscape or lake ..etc ) also the allay between buildings are jut the same as the terrain ... that makes the whole thing looks poor!, is there is any way to fix that ?

6) why the creater of this asset hasnt replied to any of those reviews or any of the form posts??? did he abandon the project?

do you guys have any thoughts on that ?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  37. leogodin217

leogodin217

There is a discord link in the Asset overview. I asked a question yesterday morning and got a quick response. Looks like there is constant development and integration with other projects. Gaia is not needed for this, it should work on any terrain. I too, would like to figure out how to decorate the inside areas, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

RecklessGames_ likes this.
  38. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

This person also emailed me and I responded there and gave them the link to discord and answered each of there questions.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. :)
    Steven M.

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello @RecklessGames_ ,

There are some way to configure this plugin to don't use resources folders and use addressable system?
    I don't want all buildings in resources folders because this will be loaded on the memory when the game start, instead be loaded only player open the gameplay scene.

MD_Reptile likes this.
  40. sdb7

sdb7

i hope you consider refactor your code into much cleaner structure..its a crazy 10K line to navigate and the myriad if else statement..even rider giving up to highlight the syntax..
    I try to use your cidy into sebastian lague geo adventure project, try to design the city in flat surface and use it as prefab then all the road is gone..as well as when you resize the whole town the road connection going to haywire, rebuild the road is not working as well.

41. chol-ee

chol-ee

For your information, I also think we need precise placement, and snap grid features. I understand freehand placement is a much more advanced technology , but aligning things in a straight line looks more organized, and is especially necessary in small mobile device's screens. Maybe a quick walkaround can be adjusting nodes position in inspector before generating buildings and roads. I tried it and it works somehow, but I am not sure if this is a correct way to use your asset. Is it possible if your asset doesn't work as intended if we adjust nodes' positions manually?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  42. spilat12

spilat12

So it was deprecated and the Assets Store publisher page is gone... What a shame...

43. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Sounds about right

hopeful likes this.
  44. DrMeatball

DrMeatball

45. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Wrong

46. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

It was deprecated shortly (within a week or two) after I bought it. That's pretty darn frustrating.

EDITED TO ADD: Looks like it is back on the store with an update. That's good news.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
    hopeful likes this.
  47. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Whoa!

That is great news!!

48. DrMeatball

DrMeatball

Nope, back in the store and it was updated!

49. spilat12

spilat12

Oh it's true, it's back!

50. BLInformatique

BLInformatique

Hi, I test with a Gaia Pro land, but when I generate the city, it calculates, but does not create the final city and I have no error message ... An idea ? Thanks. This is after, Blend City to terrain, with Unity 2021.3.27 LTS 0.png