Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CiDy 2.7 Procedural City Designer

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RecklessGames_, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Black_Raptor

Black_Raptor

You still work on Unity 5.6 ?

2. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Yes, Currently CiDy 2.0 works in Unity 5.6 and Up.

twobob likes this.
  3. Neviah

Neviah

Any updates? I'm sweating in my boots!

4. Hypester

Hypester

This looks really interesting! Is this on the Asset Store and I just missed it or something?

5. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Hypester,

Thank you for your interest in CiDy 2.0's development.

Its in Unity Review Queue in Pending Status. I'm not sure how long it will take before its passed through review and available on Asset Store.

When it is officially available I will update this forum.

Thanks,
    Steven M.

StevenPicard likes this.
  6. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Neviah,

Thank you! lol Yes, updates are coming. The inital Version is in Unity Review.

I'm working on stabilizing all the Unity versions and sending to reviews per version currently and building a road map page on the main Reckless Games Studio website and I will update the forums as well to let people see the updates and WIP as we progress.

Thank you Very much,
    Steven M.

Neviah likes this.
  7. zelmund

zelmund

cant find it on asset store and cant enter your site

8. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

It just passed testing review, I pressed Publish for the Asset. It should go live within 24 hours I believe.

I will update this forum when I see it on the Asset Store for the Public.

Here is the Tutorial Video that just went live.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    HeadClot88, twobob and SickaGames1 like this.
  9. twobob

twobob

HUG

10. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

11. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Playing around with a Speed Run with GAIA and CiDy.

wahyuway, Teila and DJ_Design like this.
  12. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Looks great! Would you consider implementing CiDy in the node based procedural map editor "MapMagic"?

13. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Hey DJ_Design,

It appears to work with Map Magic, as CiDy uses the Standard Unity Terrain and Unity Terrain Vegetation System.

Map Magic uses this system as well already.

I just downloaded the Evaluation Version of Map Magic and Plotted a Little Area on the Map Magic Demo Scene.

The only thing I needed to do was Set there Map Magic Terrain to the Proper Terrain Layer, and Add the CiDy Tags/Layers to the Project Tags/Layer Manager. (Terrain,Node,Road,Cell).

"Don't Forget when Using CiDy you will need to Add the Tags/Layers to your Project the first time you import CiDy. You can Reference the PDF in the Package"

Don't Forget to Turn OFF the Unity Terrain's Tree Colliders when you are plotting your Nodes down on the Terrain.

MapMagic.PNG

StevenPicard and DJ_Design like this.
  14. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

I created this Scene using only GAIA and CiDy together in Unity. This creates a fast workflow for Layout of your Urban Environment.

Neviah likes this.
  15. drukengamer

drukengamer

Hi,

I was wondering if different road sizes can be connected, I watched the tutorial video and saw the road size variable, can different sizes be used from node to node and will the textures blend and match up.

Thanks in advance.

16. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Yes the Intersections are Procedurally determined based on the Incoming Road Widths. However if you try to connect roads in a way that is very unrealistic... well that is what you will get, an unrealistic looking mesh. For the Most Generic Cases. Yes it will produce usable results.

I attached some images of me with a 24 meter wide merging into a 12 meter wide. But like i said. I'm sure I could get some weird looking intersections if I tried to do a 6 meter to a 24 meter etc.

RealisticMerge2.PNG RealisticMerge.PNG Intersection2.PNG Intersection1.PNG

17. embeee

embeee

Hi, just bought this asset today which seems like what I've been looking for for more than a year, so I'm very excited. Unfortunately I'm having some issues.

At first it didn't work at all, but after restarting my Unity project a few times it suddenly started working, and now it seems fine apart from one thing: I'm having issues with the terrain bleeding through the roads and sidewalks in some places, but not in others. See the attached screenshot for example, which is taken from the demo scene. It works fine on the very steep slope to the left in the background, but not in the much less challenging part in the foreground. I've made sure to grab the vegetation and heights and reset the heights before blending, and I've also tried "Update city to terrain" and then re-blending but that doesn't fix it. This seems to happen regardless of where I try it – some roads will always have the ground bleeding through.

Any ideas?

I'm using Unity 2019.2.0f1

Attached Files:

18. ncho

ncho

This is looking really fantastic and I'm close to buying it. The long tutorial video you posted is also absolutely great. I just wonder what other features may be planned for the future.

Also is there any setting that will force wall-to-wall buildings? I saw you discussing the "Huddle buildings" option but that only seems to choose the buildings that maximize the space of the pre-existing lots. So is there any option that would instead create lots the exact size of buildings so that they can be positioned wall to wall?

Finally I'd highly suggest you to update your store description and add a link to this thread (which you may have already planned given that it looks like version 2 just came out). Because I initially only saw the asset in the store and the description is really lacking still (plus the only reviews are from the old version).

RecklessGames_ likes this.
  19. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Hello, Sorry I just seen your message, My internet was down for a few days. Would you be able to send me the Scene you are working in? The issue in your image looks like its either the road is close to the terrains edge or the terrain resolution could be too low or perhaps the Angle of that closes intersection is wonky (Triangles don't play well sometimes.). Without getting a better look at your scene it will be hard for me to trouble shoot it.

As for it not working at all. Did you make sure the Tags/Layers were set properly in your Project? and the Terrain you are building on's tags and Layer are set to "Terrain"? If the terrain has trees. You should turn OFF tree Colliders when Clicking out your Roads. Sometimes the System might percieve the tree collider as terrain and place a node on it if you don't have them off during building.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  20. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Thank you very much. To answer your Question. Yes we are working on Wall - Wall Building Layouts through a Modular Building Facade System. Once that is fully implemented you will be able to choose between your own Prefabs(Box Collider layout) or Procedural Buildings (Modular Facade Generation). The Developer team went from one person to three recently as well, So you can expect things to start flowing here soon, and will be updating the Description on the Asset Store and I appreciate your input. I'll update the Store Descript and link this forum as well, I must have missed it.

Thank you,

ncho likes this.
  21. sordidlist

sordidlist

Hello, I'm also interested in this asset. I'm still working my way through some of the materials, but I'm curious about using different building prefabs with this tool? Could I make a suburban neighborhood if I had some house prefabs, for instance? Thanks!

22. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Thank you for your interest, Yes you can swap what prefabs you have into the system, I recommend for convenience to put them into the Residential Resources folder so CiDy will automatically pull them and place them into any residential Cell you create.

23. iichiversii

iichiversii

Hi, I ma very interested in this plugin, however, I have noticed it mentions on the asset store that it does not support multiple tiles, is there any update on how this feature will be available, thank you

24. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

@iichiversii Thank you for your interest in CiDy.

Yes, the product is being re-written. The Team of one has expanded to three. :) We are working on a more fluid design workflow from the ground up. This type of rework will not be fast unfortunately, this type of advanced procedural design requires a lot of proper planning and modular design.

I would speculate that we should be seeing updates to this forum on its progress within 6 months. The new way of handling Terrain blending will be localized to the pieces of the system and not require a predefined terrain.(Removing the Limitation of the Current Code Design).

I hope that answers your question.

Thank you,
    Steven M.

25. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

It looks amazing! After all roads and buildings are placed, can I duplicate the scene and remove all scripts? Will it continue working?
    I would like to use it as a base to start new cities but manually add more details later, with no chances to break it with future updates. Something like “finish city and remove attached scripts”. Will it work this way? If so, I’m buying it :D

26. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Thank you for your interest in CiDy 2.0.

Q1: Can I duplicate the scene and remove all scripts?
    A: Yes,You can duplicate the Unity Scene once the assets are placed into the scene by CiDy, You can save the Scene as normal, and the data will be baked into the Scene Asset.

Q2: Remove all scripts?
    A: Yes, You can manually remove the CiDy generated Scripts (No automatic button yet), that are on the Placed Cells,nodes and roads.(Simply use the naming structere to grab all cells at the same time and multiselect remove the scripts for each type, Cells,Roads,Nodes).

Once the Scripts from the CiDyGraph are Removed you will no longer be able to use CiDy on that graph to edit it later.

But the original cloned scene will remain intact and editable.

Marcos-Elias likes this.
  27. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

Nice, thanks for your answer, I'll try it!

28. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Compatibility update.

CiDy 2.1 update will be rolling out Automatically as soon as Unity passes its review.

CiDy 2.1 is Compatible with GAIA/GAIA PRO and now Vegetation Pro.

CiDy will automatically generate Vegetation Pro Masks for the Roads and Cell interiors, so you don't have to.

BUG FIXES:

Road Contour Bug: Roads would not contour properly to Terrain. This has been fixed in CiDy 2.1. \
    All Roads created by CiDy 2.1 will now properly contour to there Terrain Environment.

StevenPicard likes this.
  29. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Having a Play around with the Vegetation Studio Pro and CiDy 2.1 update.

Joy Riding around with Unity Toy Car.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Viet1990 and Neviah like this.
  30. Neviah

Neviah

Truly beautiful man.

Any plans for:

1. Overpasses/Underpasses
    2. Guard rails on the sides of the roads that don't have buildings.
    3. Connecting towns by a long road that doesn't have buildings, or maybe a like a gas station/diner.
    4. Tunnels
    5. Billboard Advertisements

Either way, I love your work so far.

31. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Neviah,

Thank you very much, that was a good message to start my day.

To help give people a better understanding of our desires and reasons for working on this tool set, so they can understand the path ahead, and what to expect. I would like to explain a little about the team and our goals.

This isn't a product to me.
    This has always been about my own goal to have a special editor tool set for World Designing in Unity.
    Not Just levels, But whatever world the user might want to create. (Fantasy, Sci-Fi, etc)

CiDy's Current code base is not well designed for this broad goal.

So I decided to re-write the CiDy tool set a month ago.
    Shortly after I made this decision. The Team grew from One to Three developers.

Steven (Ohio born Software Engineer, Reckless Games Studio) (Me)
    Scott (Australian born Software Developer & Programmer)
    Martin (UK born 3D Modeling Artist, Experienced contractor for AAA Modeling/Level Design)

We all worked together before on a demo for a Indie Producer called "Transhumanoid Productions"

We created Synstasis. Cyberpunk RTS Demo, Available on Steam.
    Steam Demo: https://store.steampowered.com/app/828100/Synstasis/

We have decided to turn CiDy into a Modular Spline/Polygon Based Design System.

So I like to develop with a overview/goal in mind to determine how the sub systems will tie together in code as we develop each module, so for my Technical Challenge, I chose to design a tool that can speed up the Development of a 103 square mile scene. (Technical Challenge).

The Car Video above this message was actually on a 103 square mile scene but the city was only taking up about 1% of the terrain.

I would like to have a set of tools that allows a designer to fill that terrain with interesting roads layouts and urban design. But the tool must not be limited to just New york urban design.
    It has to apply to rural, desert, fantasy (Unrealistic Roads etc), a whole host of potential genre's.

This is a monstrous task.
    But Its not so bad when you love every minute of making it. :)

So here is a broad overview of the Modules that will be developed, This is all subject to change.

Overview of the Road Map.
    First Release of Re-Designed Tool Set

1.) Modular Spline based Roads and Pathing system. (With Automatic Terrain Blending and vegetation culling)
    2.) Spline based Spawning Prefabs and Mesh Spawning Along Splines. (Think racing game rumble strips / or highway barriers(Spline Meshes))
    3.) Versatile/Integrated Editor UI with Scene View Context Menu and Integrated In-Editor controls.

With the first Core Module, Ideally you will be able to develop a lot of spline based road layouts and enclosed areas, spawn guard rails, telephone poles, highway barriers etc along the spline with full control.

The Other Modules on the List
    1.) Procedural Building and Facade Module (Prefab Based Modular Facade Generation)(City Set)
    2.) Telephone pole/Line Module (Spline Mesh Extrusion combines with Spline Prefab Placement)(City Set)
    3.) Alleyway Module (Populates Prefabs in alley spaces)(City Set)
    4.) Traffic Module(Generates Vehicle Lanes logic etc, Vehicle Spawning system with basic run-time logic with exposed AI Variables)
    5.) Train Module (Modern Train Set with Run-time Logic, Spline based Paths)
    7.) Pedestrians Module(Prefab Based, Basic AI Exposed Variables)
    8.) Bridges/Tunnels/Overpasses (Path Module)
    9.) Road Side Signs, Billboard Advertisements etc (Spline Spawning)

The redesign is still early development, Some of these items may be combined into a single tool as we are striving for simple tools with broad applications.

I hope this helps everyone get a clearer picture of what is coming down the production pipe. :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Viet1990, Neviah and StevenPicard like this.
  32. Neviah

Neviah

My problems so far with what you said:

1. Can only 'like' your post once.
    2. Can't use a better word like 'love'.
    3. We're not 1 year into the future so I can play with your project all day every day with all of its features.

33. Viet1990

Viet1990

Hello,

I have just purchased the CiDy 2.1 asset and it is an amazing asset, I am loving it so far!

A few noob questions/suggestion after using CiDy:
    1. Is there a way to add my own building type? I looked in the manual, and tried to add a new folder called "ScifiPrefabs" under CiDy/Resouces/CiDyResouces/ScifiPrefabs, however the building type does not appear in the BuildingType dropdown:
    upload_2020-1-9_17-18-53.png

2. I noticed that there are some huge lots that are not being populated with buildings, even after pressing "Regenerate Cell". Is there some kind of building limitation per Cell?

upload_2020-1-9_17-25-53.png

3. The Triangular manipulator triangle seems really big, but I could only select it and drag when clicking near the exact center:
    upload_2020-1-9_17-28-47.png
    A suggestion is maybe to increase the hitbox for usability.

4. Changing the road material seem to generate an exception:
    upload_2020-1-9_17-40-53.png

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CiDyNode.ReplaceMaterials () (at Assets/CiDy/CiDyAssets/CiDyScripts/CiDyNode.cs:241)
    CiDyGraph+<UpdateAllMaterials>d__114.MoveNext () (at Assets/CiDy/CiDyAssets/CiDyScripts/CiDyGraph.cs:2344)
    Swing.Editor.EditorCoroutine.Update () (at Assets/CiDy/CiDyAssets/Editor/EditorCoroutine.cs:44)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:303)

That's it.

Thank you for creating an amazing asset! I am looking forward to the upcoming features :)

BR,
    Viet

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  34. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Scourge,

First I would like to thank you for your support.

I'm sorry you have had that bug with replacing the entire city materials, I will get a patch out for it asap.

So lets go through your inquires shall we, and these are great ones because they are really hitting at the core problems and reason behind our current re-write of the editor tool.

Q1.) Is there a way to add my own building type to the Editor Window?

A.) No, currently the folder structure is hard coded into the window. (This is being changed to allow for custom structure) (you can however replace the prefabs in one of the three current folders for your desired prefabs and it will work as intended for that cell type)

Q2.) I noticed that there are some huge lots that are not being populated with buildings, even after pressing "Regenerate Cell". Is there some kind of building limitation per Cell?

A.) There are three current limitations,
    1.) The Lot size must be large enough to encompass the entire building.
    2.) The Lot Sub division algorithm doesn't handle triangle cells well, as it is only a box sub divide algorithm
    3.) The Buildings must only be placed on "road access" sides
    (This is being re-written to allow for more control)

Q3. The Triangular manipulator triangle seems really big, but I could only select it and drag when clicking near the exact center.

A.)This is due to unity's Handle.Gizmo. Its not a physical gameobject or collider. Its handled in a gizmo pass. This has
    its own limitations. (This has already been fixed in the new re-write, no more triangles lol)

Q4.) Changing the road material seem to generate an exception:
    View attachment 540828

A.) I just imported the CiDy 2.1 package into a clean project and created a temp material with a basic texture applied, to test the Road Material Replace Function.
    I had no issues, it replaced all the materials.

NullRefernce.PNG

Perhaps a bug occurred somewhere in the city design process.
    This error is pointing towards a CiDyNode (Your road intersections are the nodes). hmm very strange.

Maybe open a clean scene and create a simple test scene with a basic plane or terrain and a single CiDy cell. Then try swapping the cities material to confirm your Package is working out of the box or not.

if that works, we will have to dive deeper into your specific scene setup and look at it closer to see if there is some deeper hidden issue.

Let me know if the issue resolves.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  35. Viet1990

Viet1990

Thanks for the reply!

When I first saw your asset, I was immediately thinking of the road and plot system in Cities Skylines. Is this what you are talking about above regarding more control of the building generation? E.g. plots appear on both sides of roads, whether or not roads are connected in a closed-loop.

Keep up the good work mate.

36. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Yes,

The Re-write is changing the system from its current node based system into a full modular spline based system.

Plots will be modular in that they are not limited to being in cells.

They will be plotable along any spline path on both sides, regardless of its connection to other splines paths.

I'm teamed up with an amazing 3D Modeling artist and another Software Developer.
    We are striving for Spline based spawning, mesh creation and more.

The Building system itself is also getting an overhaul.
    We are going Procedural with our Building Facades, combined with Modular Prefab system so users can swap out theme based assets as desired. But retain fast iterative control through procedural parameters.

HeadClot88 and Viet1990 like this.
  37. Susihiisi

Susihiisi

Meow. Would it be possible to make custom buildings with interiors at some point?

38. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

With the Current System.

The Buildings are only prefab spawned.

So Its as easy as switching out your prefabs. :)

StevenPicard likes this.
  39. Susihiisi

Susihiisi

Looks really good. It says that the asset doesn't support multiple terrain tiles, does it just refuse to work if there's multiple terrains in the scene or is there some workarounds? I'm just wondering if I should get it now or wait until multiple terrains are supported?

40. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

The current System is limited to One Terrain for its Blending to Work.

You can have multiple terrains in the scene but only one can be referenced by the graph as the blended terrain.

CiDy currently doesnt offer offical support for multi terrain designs but it also doesn't stop you from having them. The system will still attempt to work.

What kind of results you would be able to achieve without blending though.

But also there are workarounds.

For me. I personally generated a large terrain with Gaia or Unity.

Then Built my CiDy design on the one large terrain.

Then I exported the Terrains into Chunks Using Core Asset.

This turned the final product into a bunch of chunks of terrains for streaming.

Here is a video of me doing just that on a 103 square mile terrain that has been cut into 64 chunks of 1024x1024 terrain for run-time streaming. I did minimal optimizations and still got a solid 30 fps

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  41. westryder907

westryder907

Just bought CiDy 2.1 looking forwards to using it in my project and can't wait to see where this awesome asset is going!

42. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Thank you very much for your Support!

I'm looking forward to what all of you will create with these new procedural tools.

Thank you again for your continued support.

Steven M.

43. wahyuway

wahyuway

cool asset. Will be on my wishlist for my city tour project. Is there any mobile example project (android) to try?
    Is it easy to replace my own building models?

44. westryder907

westryder907

It took me about 2-5 minutes to get my own building models working with Cidy. Most of the time was spent importing my own building assets.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    RecklessGames_ and Neviah like this.
  45. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

I see westryder907 has beaten me to the question. :)

Thank you
    westryder907.

Q.) Is there any mobile example project (android) to try?
    A.) Sorry, Currently there are not any special demo's of the Procedural Tool.

(Note)
    If your concern is if the meshes generated will be usable on mobile, the answer is a resounding yes, as this system in its current state is a procedural mesh and prefab placement system.

The procedural meshes are very efficent on poly count, so the level of Detail will be up to you and what assets you are providing for your project, CiDy doesn't enforce any platform specific limitations.

Q.) Is it easy to replace my own building models?

A.) Yes, The Current CiDy 2.0 version uses a Prefab system for your buildings, traffic light/stop signs, and any sidewalk clutter prefabs and street light prefabs.

All you have to do is take your building prefab and place it into the desired resource folder or drag and drop them directly into your cell Editor Window.

(Special Circumstances)
    If your prefab mesh is not properly oriented on import.
    You may have to nest it into a Empty Transform and rotate your sub transform to get it properly spawn upright.

I have attached Images to Better illustrate my point.

Here is an Original Mesh that is Imported with its rotation OFF Global Alignment when at Pos/Rotation == (0,0,0)
    Original Mesh.PNG

Here is the Same Building Nested into an Empty Parent Transform that its Pos/Rotation == (0,0,0)
    But the Nested Original is Rotated 90 Degrees to Accommodate for the improper import rotation.
    NestedMesh.PNG

And Finally the Final Result. A CiDy ready prefab can be placed into any building slot and CiDy will spawn it properly. I Also add a Unity LOD Group component for good measure.
    CiDyReadyPrefab.PNG

I hope that clarifies the prefab setup process for you.

Thanks,
    Steven M.
    Reckless Games Studio

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    wahyuway likes this.
  46. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

CiDy 2.2 Update is Live, CiDy is now compatible with Unity 2018.3 & Up.

2.2 Fixed Bug: Random Lots not Spawning Building Prefabs.

Playing around in Unity 2019.3 with CiDy 2.2 and Vegetation Studio Pro.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    HakJak, StevenPicard and Viet1990 like this.
  47. HakJak

HakJak

Any plans to support runtime generation / can this be reasonably modified to support runtime generation?

A tool like this could work out very well for a major project I'm about to start.

PhoenixAdvanced likes this.
  48. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

Sorry, At this time we are not Targeting Run-time Generation.

The issue with Run-time generation comes into the Terrain Blending methods applied. There are frame stutters when Blending Terrain's to the City Layouts.

Thank you for your interest in CiDy 2.0

49. HakJak

HakJak

That part isn't really a concern for me because I'm looking at using it to help create procedurally generated city/town maps. These would be generated during a loading screen, similar to the game Descenders, so framerate is not an issue.

Perhaps you'll consider adding runtime support to the API for this type of use case? If not, can you point me in the right direction on enabling runtime use? (hakjakgames@gmail.com) I went ahead and bought CiDy, but haven't dived into it yet.

50. RecklessGames_

RecklessGames_

You can make Calls to the System if you are willing to write your own scripts, for run-time generation.

You will find most of your needed functions directly in CiDyGraph.cs

Examples to guide you are as follows.

CREATION OF NEW NODES

Example I have a CiDyGraph.cs referenced and called "graph" in my script. My call to create a new node would then be "graph.NewMasterNode(Vector3 pos, float nodeScale);"

This will create a new node in the graph returning the created CiDyNode. The pos will be its position in world Space and the nodeScale will be its Graphical Representation size. Both can be changed after initilization.

CREATION OF CONNECTING ROAD

Connecting two node points would be "graph.ConnectNodes(CiDyNode nodeA, CiDyNode nodeB, float roadWidth, int roadSegmentLength, int flattenAmount);

This will create a road between these two nodes in the graph. This will require knowing your desired roadWidth(Width of Road Mesh) ,SegmentLength(LOD of Road Mesh) and the flattenAmount(Used to flatten roads near node ends for intersection blending".

HakJak likes this.