Search Unity

Chubby's Valentine Adventure

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Adeno, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Adeno

Adeno

Here's a little game project that I made as an exercise for Valentine's Day. The goal was to put into action certain game concepts that I've been studying, like collision detection, triggers, making scripts interact with each other, and using mecanim to handle my animation states.

The bear's name is Chubby, based on a stuffed bear that was given to me a long time ago. I thought that it would be nice to turn her into my first working 3D third person adventure game's main character. The monsters are called "Strawberrage". While thinking up of an enemy that would fit Chubby's cuteness, I thought "Why not make a delicious enemy based on one of my favorite snacks?" That's why there are angry marching strawberry monsters there lol :D

Since Chubby is a cute bear, I thought that she can't really use extremely violent attacks to dispose of enemies. That's why I only gave her the ability to push her enemies. She can also push those spheres to knock down the delicious strawberrage baddies.

For this project, I only really focused on the gameplay mechanics and the animation. The level design was just a quick thing I put together using cubes and a free candy texture. I also haven't made any sound effects yet, that's one of the things I'll try to create on my own in future projects.

Next time, my goals are:

a. Try to get better with making the GUI - I haven't really practiced making huds/title screens on any of my previous unity projects because I focused too much on gameplay coding. When I tried to make a GUI for this project, it felt like a struggle and I could only produce a button. I even had to put my "Happy Valentine's Day" texture on a plane and make the camera stare at it just because I still couldn't figure out how to display big textures properly to occupy the entire screen.

b. Make sound effects - I think this is one of the things I'll have trouble with. It's not like I have access to a studio to record sounds with. I guess I'll make use of that free sound effects maker on the net. It can make those 8-bit/16-bit sounds. I've been playing with the program and it seems fun and easy to use!

c. Write music - this should be possible since I have my digital piano connected to my PC and with the help of FL Studio, I can use other instrument sounds to make an actual recording.

d. Try to actually design a level - good level design is very important. Next time, I'll put more thought into creating a level and not just slap together cubes.

Anyway, as my first functional and playable 3D game, I feel kind of proud. I've always wanted to make a 3D game and I finally reached the point where I can make one, even if it's just one level for now. From text adventure games to 2D flash games, I've finally broken into the realm of 3D game creation. I just hope I can continue improving at a decent rate and that whatever problems I'll encounter later on, I'll be able to solve without having to get stuck for too long:D

2. Alf203

Alf203

haha Amazing name !

Nice beginning. I think it would be cool if the bear and baddies could run or walk faster, but the fact that all the characters walk slowly seems to help build up the tension !