Search Unity

Chromatica Studio - The definitive color grading suite for Unity - Easy, Fast, Powerful

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Chman, Aug 15, 2014.

1. snlehton

snlehton

I was too hasty in my conclusion. It didn't work on iPad Mini. However, I somehow suspect the culprit is not Chromatica per-se, but something to do with the Mini and the game I'm working on.

Chromatica runs fine on iPad Air, but on Mini it just displays the pink screen. And Unity's built-in LUT post process works on Air, too, but doesn't do anything on Mini (probably because it notices that some shader or rendertexture cannot be created etc)

2. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a few days.
    Chromatica uses a classic post-processing effect, so it'll work the same way any other post-processing effect does. The LUT will work on both cameras if you add the effect to the "top-most" camera (the last one to render).
    I'm not able to reproduce this error but I'll investigate, thanks !
    For some reason the shader compiler in Unity 4 doesn't like underscore-only names for shader features. Changing __ to anything else seems to work. Could you try it on your side ? Let me know and I'll issue a quick patch asap !

As for the issue with your iPad Mini, is a first gen mini ?

3. shmomo

shmomo

Thanks for your relpy,

Is chromatica LUT faster on mobile than unity LUT?

4. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

If you're talking about the old LUT effect from Unity 4 (this one), it makes use of 3D textures and thus won't run on mobile at all. As for the new "Cinematic Image Effects" currently in beta for Unity 5, performances should be roughly equivalent (unless you're making use of the Dual LUT feature in Chromatica of course, it will be slower).

5. Martin_Playrise

Martin_Playrise

Hi. We have an issue with Chromatica on PC standalone windowed mode. If the user changes the size of the window we get huge graphical corruption. Reloading the level makes it go away, but once the user changes the size of the window again the corruption comes back. Any ideas ?

At the minute this is a bit of a deal-breaker.

Thanks.

Unity 5.3.1p1

MKayJay likes this.
  6. MKayJay

MKayJay

This problem suddenly happened for me as well (Unity Version 5.3.4f1 Personal). After several hours of testing, I too isolated it to being in windowed mode, If I switched camera ingame (My game uses a few cameras) the issue was gone immediately, so basically it was only a problem for the first 20 seconds of the game (Which is of course not acceptable).

I then tried to update to the newest version of Cromatica (Time of writing it's 2.3) and switched to the new LUT format as well, but still no luck.

I was sure it had something to do with Cromatica, as upon disabling the Cromatica scripts from my cameras the issue was gone.

I did find a solution for it... well maybe more of a workaround.

Since I am not taking advantage of the Blending features, I ticked the "Disable All Blending" on all of my cameras, and now It seems I no longer have the issue.

Anyways, just wanted to chip in with my experience and solution/workaround.

7. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hey guys,

As a few of you noticed I'm now working at Unity Technologies doing post-processing & color grading stuff, so there is a potential conflict of interest when it comes to Chromatica. This is a difficult decision, unfortunately, I have no choice but to deprecate the package as I won't be able to update or support it anymore and I don't feel comfortable leaving an unmaintained package on the store.

With that said, if any of you bought Chromatica recently and feel that they're entitled to a refund please contact me asap!

And in case you're wondering, my other assets aren't affected by this decision and I'll keep supporting and updating them as I've done for the past few years.

Cheers!

8. hopeful

hopeful

How close is Unity's version going to get to Chromatica?

9. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

As you can imagine, I can't comment about our roadmap for color grading & post-processing in Unity. All I can say is that you'll get more info soon ;)

10. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

The most important tools I was using for my game are:

Depth LUT support ! You can now use a dual-LUT setup to vary the color grading according to a pixel's distance from the camera. The depth interpolation can be manipulated with a blending curve.

LUT Volumes ! Chromatica can now automatically blend between LUTs as the player goes through volumes & zones in your scene.

If you could port these over to Colorful FX I would be very happy.

Now I'm kind of in the dark about how I can use this functionally without further support.
    And waiting for Unity to include these tools feels like a big risk as Unity has not always been fast to implement new features.

11. Dolzen

Dolzen

Any news on color grading & post-processing in Unity? because I'm still using Chromatica and I'm having some issues with Unity 5.5.2f1 I sent you an email I hope you can help me!

12. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Here :)