Search Unity

Chromatica Studio - The definitive color grading suite for Unity - Easy, Fast, Powerful

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Chman, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Chromatica Studio brings state of the art, high quality color grading to Unity with a powerful artist-friendly interface at an entry-level price.

Inspired by industry standard color correction tools such as After Effects, Nuke and Smoke, it lets you add as many color operators as you'd like onto your scenes with only one fast draw call and works on desktop as well as mobile platforms (DirectX 9, DirectX 11, OpenGL, OpenGL ES 2.0) for both 2D and 3D games.

NEW : LUT Volumes ! Chromatica can now automatically blend between LUTs as the player goes through volumes & zones in your scene.

NEW : Depth LUT support ! You can now use a dual-LUT setup to vary the color grading according to a pixel's distance from the camera. The depth interpolation can be manipulated with a blending curve.

It works by compacting multiple color operators into one single PNG file called a Lookup Texture, which is then applied to the game using a special post-processing effect. This means you can use an unlimited amount of color operators and still get very high performance color grading. You can also generate several LUT and swap them at runtime.

Unity 4.5+ Pro or Unity 5.0+ (Personal or Pro) is required.

Feel free to leave any feedback or feature request here, I'll monitor this topic !

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    srmojuze likes this.
  2. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

New update sent to the Asset Store (could be a few days before it's up).

Changelog (0.9.1) :
    • Added : Experimental embedded curve editor for the Curves operator with support for multi-curve editing. You can enable/disable it in the preference panel.
    • Added : You can now change the color wheels sensitivity in the preference panel. Default to 0.5.
    • Fixed : Channel Swapper editor was broken.
    • Fixed : Optimized Channel Swapper.
    • Fixed : The black & white gradient in Levels was wrong in linear mode.
    • Misc : Various documentation fixes.

3. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Chromatica is now available on Itch.io as well if, for some reason, you can't buy it from the Asset Store. Same price, same version (but quicker updates because of the validation process).

4. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I'm pleased to announce that Chromatica is now out of beta ! Version 1.0 is available on Itch.io and will be on the Asset Store in a few days (as soon as it's validated).

Changelog (1.0) :
    • Added : Shortcut to open the Chromatica editor (Ctrl+Alt+C on Windows, Command+Alt+C on Mac).
    • Added : Color wheels in the Three-Way operator are now dynamically sized (clamped to a fixed min/max size).
    • Added : Split screen mode can be set from the Chromatica editor.
    • Modified : The operator list in the Chromatica Studio component was editor-only. It's not anymore and can be accessed in-game if you need it.
    • Fixed : Optimized the color wheels in the Three-Way operator (3 times less cpu & mem usage).
    • Fixed : Loading presets is more future-proof.
    • Fixed : Resetting a Curves operator didn't reset the current displayed curve.
    • Misc : Some prep-work for an upcoming feature.
    • Misc : Various documentation fixes & additions.
    Chromatica now has an introduction video :

5. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

nice 1

6. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

dear friend, this product looks wonderful, just one request/tip, is possible to have a mini-window or listbox something like that, that can display the saved presets? would be nice to have a list to click and it would change the preset on the fly, would be faster for the workflow than having a window asking for names each time to load.

Many thanks sorry to bother, i am just doing because this product is something marvelous for who are looking for working inside unity ! its a must have!

7. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Added to the todo list, I'll see what I can do ! It won't be in the next update (1.1) because it's already awaiting validation from the asset store team but probably in the next one (1.2).

angelodelvecchio likes this.
  8. nasos_333

nasos_333

Looks very nice

What are the main differences to Amplify Color ?

9. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Amplify Color acts as a bridge between Unity and Photoshop. You work in Photoshop and the result is exported to Unity.

Chromatica is a fully integrated solution (although you can still use Photoshop if you really want to), meaning you get all the usual Photoshop tools as well as some more powerful ones from the compositing world (auto white balance, three way color corrector...) inside Unity.

It's all about workflow, speed and ease of use. Keep an eye on the next update (it's currently awaiting validation so it should be up soon), it brings a cool new feature ;)

Side note : Chromatica should be compatible with Amplify Color's Volume feature. Both tools are complementary IMO.

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Wow, now that is a DIFFERENCE :)

Thanks

I have Amplify Color but have not used it yet (not a Pro user yet), so i will buy your system as well and use them both when the time comes. Very nice work :)

11. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Here's version 1.1 with a cool new feature ! As usual, it's available on the Asset Store and Itch.io.

Changelog (1.1) :
    • Added : Depth LUT support ! You can now use a dual-LUT setup to vary the color grading according to a pixel's distance from the camera. The depth interpolation can be manipulated with a blending curve. More info in the doc!
    • Added : Bake As feature. Click the arrow next to Bake to get access to a submenu.
    • Added : New Bleach Bypass operator.
    • Added a new quickstart launcher when you import or update Chromatica.
    • Added About Chromatica and Chromatica Manual in the Help menu.
    • Modified : Re-organized the toolbar. Clear/Save/Load are now located in the Lut menu.
    • Modified : A few minor UI tweaks.
    • Fixed : HDR is now properly supported.
    • Fixed : Linear color space now properly supported.
    • Fixed : Better UI focus behavior.
    • Fixed : Curve editor colors with the "Light" theme were wrong.
    • Misc : Various documentation fixes & additions.

12. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Version 1.1.1 (maintenance release) is available on the Asset Store and Itch.io.

Changelog (1.1.1) :
    • Fixed : Precision error when previewing the LUT in the editor with anisotropic filtering being forced on.
    • Misc : Minor bug fixes & documentation improvements.
    Don't forget to leave a review on the Asset Store ;)

13. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Just purchased this, very nice tool (like your others, I own SSAO Pro as well and love it)!

Just a quick question: on line 147 of ChromaticaStudio.cs, is there any reason that there's a GetComponent there instead of just a cached reference to the camera?

14. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

There was a reason at the time, but not anymore. The next update will fix this, thanks for the catch :)

15. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

No problem! Also, I'm sure you already know, but if there's any chance you could re-do uSMAA for the Asset Store, I really think it would sell well. Particularly since there's no extra AA options coming with Unity 5 anytime soon.

16. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

A new version is available on the Asset Store and Itch.io !

Changelog (1.2) :
    • Added : In dual LUT mode, you can now quickly copy all the operators from the primary LUT to the depth one using the Lut menu.
    • Fixed : Proper 4.6 compatibility.
    • Fixed : Bleach Bypass wasn't correctly saved in presets.
    • Fixed : Only one ChromaticaStudio component allowed per camera.
    • Misc : Minor optimizations & documentation improvements.

17. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Hi Thomas,

Small feature request: Can you add the option to disable automatically switching to the gameview window when adding/removing/resetting operators? I use BeholdR which enables postfx in the sceneview and it's just a pain to keep switching back.

Awesome asset. I will feature it prominently in my forthcoming pack.

18. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Done ! The auto-switching to the game view is actually a repaint call, but for some reason Unity also gives it focus. Update available on the Asset Store and Itch.io :)

Changelog (1.2.1) :
    • Added : A toggle in the Preferences panel to enable/disable auto switching to the game view window.

19. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

20. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Great looking asset- I discovered it through the sale- Was just wondering what is the main difference between Chromatica studio and your other asset called Colorful? Is Colorful for color grading and image effects and Chromatica is just for color grading? They both look awesome- was just wondering which one to get- thanks!

21. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Chromatica is entirely focused on color grading. You can apply as many color correction effects as you want and bake them all into one lookup texture (which is them applied with a custom image effect). It's great for very high performances color grading and works wonders on mobile too. It's a static effect and can't be changed at runtime, although you can generate many lookup textures and swap them as you want.

Colorful, on the other hand, is a collection of finely tuned image effects, some made for color corrections, some for more general effects (radial blur, led, analog effects etc). The whole point of Colorful is that you can smoothly animate everything at runtime (see the documentation, everything you see there can be animated using scripts or the Unity Animation tool). But, as the effects are separated, every one of them will use one draw call so you can't stack an unlimited number of them at once or your performances will suffer.

So, really, it's all about what you need. If you want a powerful color grading tool, use Chromatica. If you need to animate a bunch of effects in realtime, use Colorful with its simpler but still powerful tools :)

22. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Thanks for the reply- I'll be buying Colorful for sure-

I just purchased Amplify Color for grading- but am still interested in Chromatica- the main difference between the two that I can see is that Chromatica can grade in Unity while Amplify Color needs a LUT image generated from Photoshop etc- is the performance of Chromatica better than Amplify Color?

23. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Indeed, the main difference between Amplify Color and this asset is that the first one acts like a bridge between Unity and Photoshop, and Chromatica is a fully integrated solution.

Performance should be roughly similar, really, except for the Dual-LUT mode in Chromatica which should be a bit slower, obviously.

Actually, you should be able to use Amplify Color's Volume feature with Chromatica to do LUT blending ! I still need to fully test it to make sure it works as expected but it should be a pretty powerful combo :)

24. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Thank you for the explanation- I look forward to using your products:)

25. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Firstly, Chromatica is such a great tool for grading; specially given the new DUAL depth-based LUT blending (soooo great!)! That said... Everytime I customize the depth curve in the inspector (add, and/or move points), then save scene/project, then play the scene, the curve resets to a linear curve, and loses any new points I added, and any placement values I might have customized. I have yet been able to enter play mode and have my depth curve not reset to a linear curve (the inspector default for the depth curve). Can anyone suggest a possible fix?

EDIT: is that depth curve serialized or saved anywhere? In addition, the ability to save and load curves would be awesome, as scriptable objects, or whatever format works best given the architecture.

Using Unity5B20

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  26. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hmm I can't reproduce this bug using Unity 4.5 and 4.6...

That would be a nice feature indeed. Added to the todo list.

Ah ! I haven't had the chance to try Chromatica with Unity 5 yet. Will do asap and report back !

27. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

My Life cant go on without chromatica

28. 3Duaun

3Duaun

After a full deletion of Chromatica from my project, a platform switch, then switch back, then re-import, all appears to be working in U5B20! :) not sure what the issue was.... but please, allow us to save curves or curve presets for LUT depth mixing :) This is such a great tool!

29. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

New version available !

Changelog (1.2.2) :
    • Added : Save / load feature for the depth curve in "Dual" mode.

30. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Thanks for the quick addition of depth curve saving/loading!

31. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Quick update !

Changelog (1.2.3) :
    • Added : "Blend" slider on the component.
    • Misc : Unity 5 package.
    • Misc : Documentation update.

32. Sprak

Sprak

Looks great! Can the blend amount be modified at runtime? And is there a way to blend two different presets at runtime?

33. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Yes the blend amount can be modified / animated at runtime. Blending between LUTs is possible too, add a second ChromaticaStudio component to the camera and play with the Blend property of both ! Right now editing two Chromatica instances at the same time in the editor can be a bit cumbersome but I'm working on it.

34. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

My last update introduced a bug on DirectX 9... Sorry about that. New version available !

Changelog (1.2.4) :
    • Fixed : Shader bug with DirectX 9.

35. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

Any plans on implementing your own Color Volume feature within Chromatica Studio? That's essentially the only detail holding me back from purchasing this asset. It seems cleaner and more performant to use one asset (Amplify Color) than two (Chromatica + Amplify Color), but truth be told, I would much prefer Chromatica.

36. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Yep, something's coming :)

S_Darkwell likes this.
  37. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@Chman

Excellent! I will await said something with great anticipation. Thank you. :)

38. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Any chance of a demo/trial version?

39. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Not yet, sorry. Maybe in the future.

40. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Ok. Could you answer this question before I purchase the plugin. Can you access the color data in code, and create and set color grading effects dynamically at run-time in the final game?

41. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

A LUT is, by definition, static. That's what make it very fast, even on mobile devices. Chromatica doesn't let you generate LUTs at runtime for performance reasons. So if you're looking for a dynamic color grading solution, Chromatica won't be of any help... Yet :) Wait for the next update (1.4), it should be out soon and will add an easy way to blend between multiple LUTs at runtime.

If you want a way to change/tween/animate individual color correction operators (Hue, Saturation, Contrast, Vibrance etc) at runtime, you should look into Colorful.

42. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Thanks. Colorful is exactly what I was looking for.

43. GreenLion

GreenLion

I'm currently having two problems with Chromatica - the first is a null reference exception when I first open Unity:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CS_StartupWindow.Init (Boolean forceOpen) (at Assets/Chromatica/Scripts/Editor/Startup/CS_StartupWindow.cs:51)

This doesn't seem to affect normal operation, but I'd like to get rid of it if I could.

The second issue is that the tool won't function unless the Chromatica directory is placed in the root of \Assets. I'm working on a large project and we like to organize our Asset Store tools in an \Externals folder. Is it necessary to have hard coded links in your scripts?

44. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

The first NullReferenceException is related to the second issue (hard coded links). That's something I've wanted to fix for a while... I guess it's time :) I'll look into it for the upcoming update.

Edit : fixed in the dev branch, will be in 1.4.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  45. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Here comes Chromatica 2.0, featuring LUT blending and volumes ! Check out the documentation or the intro video :

Changelog (2.0) :
    • Added : Due to popular demand... LUT Volumes ! You can now add "Volumes" to your scenes to automatically and smoothly blend between lookup textures.
    • Added : Small public API to manually blend LUTs. See the documentation.
    • Added : Tooltips on inspector fields.
    • Added : "About" button in the "ChromaticaStudio" component for faster access to the documentation, changelog and support email.
    • Modified : Renamed the "Blend" property to "Contribution".
    • Modified : Added the "ImageEffectTransformsToLDR" attribute to the "ChromaticaStudio" component. This will make sure the rest of the post processing chain will switch to LDR mode. This shouldn't have any impact on rendering as the output was already in LDR but can save performances in some cases.
    • Removed : The documentation isn't bundled anymore, it's now online only. Benefits : the package size is a lot smaller and imports faster.
    • Fixed : Proper "Reset" support in the inspector.
    • Fixed : Alpha channel preservation (useful for some old image effects like Glow).
    • Fixed : Potential memory leak with the dual LUT mode.
    • Fixed : Better internal file path control. You should now be able to move the Chromatica folder safely.
    • Fixed : Some preferences not being restored correctly on Unity restart.
    • Misc : Various UI tweaks and optimizations in the editor.
    • Misc : Documentation update.

OnePxl and SAOTA like this.
  46. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

your assets are like gifts ! many thanks

47. OnePxl

OnePxl

Great update! This now replaces Amplify Color, right?

Are you using an asset from the store for that spaceship environment? If so, which one?

48. hopeful

hopeful

Chman likes this.
  49. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I wouldn't say it fully replaces Amplify Color, as the volume feature in Amplify Color also works with third-parties post processing effects, whereas Chromatica only focuses on LUT / color correction.

Unity scene :)

OnePxl likes this.
  50. psimek

psimek

The dual LUT volume blending is awesome!!!!! Thank you very much for the feature.
    If possible, could be get support for setting and in & out time for volume transitions. I have a number of them that I would rather fade in slower, but out faster (or vise versa). This would be an invaluable feature for perfecting the volume grading I'm trying to achieve. Thank you for any consideration over the feature.

Speaking of Amp Color(I still far prefer Chromatica, for the dual LUT alone), would you ever consider adding the triggering(blending in/out) of 3rd party FX that amp color supports? :

I'd like to take amp color out of my current projects (currently used to blend chromatica and some 3rd party image effects, not actual grading). This is a simple feature that would allow me to drop amp color completely in favor of Chromatica.

For anyone on the fence, Chromatica is AWESOME. The Dual LUT(depth based) blending alone is incredible.

Last edited: May 3, 2015