Search Unity

Games Christmas at Morleyville Mall - testers wanted

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by StarvingIndieDeveloper, Nov 26, 2017.

1. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

Testers would be appreciated for the alpha demo of the redesigned version of "Morleyville Mall" : part horror / part quirky retail game. Testers will receive a free version of the full game.

The first scenario focuses on preparation for Black Friday and the Christmas season: play a succession of employees in a haunted mall, frantically setting up decorations, signs ("Please don't trample other customers unless authorized by management"), and Christmas-related merchandise or making holiday food items in a variety of stores. The horror element is intended to be merely creepy rather than over-the-top scary (except for the ugly Christmas sweaters and similar horrors - those are truly frightening). Some of the haunted activity is tongue-in-cheek, such as when poltergeists push boxes of "Second Childhood Adult Diapers" on the player's head in the "Older Than Dirt" store (which sells gag gifts for grandma). The full mall has about 100 stores, many of which will be included in the Christmas "chapter".

Suggestions about the game's focus (and name) would be appreciated. There are a number of known problems, such as LOD popping; failure of some of the Christmas lights to give off a glow in front of other transparent objects (how do we solve that, BTW?), lack of proper RNG balancing ("levels" are sometimes either too easy or nearly impossible depending on which entities decide to come out to play); and some other problems.

Here's the link for the demo. Currently, you can just pick between two stores (in the list on the lefthand side) and replay them as many times as you want. URL: http://www.indiedb.com/games/morleyville-mall/downloads/demo-morleyville-alpha
    Some people on the forums seem to prefer a WebGL version for testing. If needed I can look into making a WebGL build.

Some screenshots:

Mannequins in "Gentleman Jim Menswear":

Sign for "Mr. O's Doughnuts":

Townshend's Department Store:

Strange shadow in "Baker Brutus" kitchen

Link for the demo: http://www.indiedb.com/games/morleyville-mall/downloads/demo-morleyville-alpha

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    KrzysztofBidzinski likes this.
  2. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

More screenshots:

Mannequins in "Gentleman Jim Menswear":

Candy cane decorations and tacky Christmas shoes (notice the small candy canes, peppermint candies, etc) at "Blister Billy Shoes":

3. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

Window displays for Townshend's Department Store:

4. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

Has anyone tested it yet? If so, please post criticisms, suggestions, etc.

5. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I've not tried the demo, but just a few notes based on the screenshots above:
    • You need some kind of ambient occlusion in place - either in lightmaps (if you're using them) or as a post process effect. Objects don't look "placed" without it properly. Particularly noticeable around the edges of the kitchen unit in the Baker Brutus shot.
    • You need decals. Right now everything is far too clean, and your texture repetition is super-obvious. Decals will help to add variety, unique details (floor panels for accessing power/under-floor cables etc) and 'wear and tear' (I get that it's a mall and presumably has cleaners keeping it in good shape but still).
    • Your ceiling lights look really weird. Partly it's because they look untextured - just white polys - and partly because you have so many of them so close together. I've never seen a building do lighting like that; even the most light-dense mall images I can find quickly (1, 2) aren't as extreme as what you've got.
    • Why would a clothes shop want their mannequins to be that shiny?
    • In the corridor you've got white lights but everything is very red/brown. This means that it's not just a lighting effect: everything in that corridor actually is red/brown, from floor to ceiling. Nobody decorates like that. Were you trying to do colour grading or something?

6. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

Thank you for your feedback.

Ambient occlusion would be nice to add, but the framerate is currently a bit slow on some machines, so it'll depend on whether a post-processing effect would be too expensive.

I assume your comment about the ceiling lights was referring to the "Window displays for Townshend's Department Store" screenshot? They look denser than they really are in that screenshot due to the angle, but I can look into changing them.

The corridor has light tan and brown floor tiles, and brownish granite walls. All of it is made a bit browner and redder by the reflective surfaces echoing the dominant color of the walls and the red glowing signs on nearby stores. That's the result of several reflection probes which tend to tint everything on a wider scale than would be the case in real life. The only alternatives would be either adding a denser array of reflection probes (more expensive) or using full realtime accurate reflections on all surfaces (a lot more expensive).

Did you test out the demo?

7. nat42

nat42

I'm conflicted about the advice from Superpig... right now the screenshots have kind of has a stark 90s prerendered/ray traced and everything is shiny/reflective because it can be / we didn't know better quality.

Advice like light mapped occlusion (and light mapping generally, I guess that is why the ceilings are so dark?) is a step towards making it look better but less like that, but I suspect need a lot of art changes to make it look like a more realistic mall (in the screenshots everything seems weirdly dark and yet well lit at the same time for example)

What ultimately prevents me from trying this is just the strong feeling that this is not for me... I'm not at all interested in a scary not scary job simulator (that isn't sure of it's own focus yet, but we've got attempts at humour like adult diapers for gran), I guess?

Outside of Pewdiepie, who is the audience? I'm sorry, and I don't mean it as harsh, I'm just stuck trying to see the appeal say for a grown up too old to really understand the appeal of Five Nights at Freddy's

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  8. superpig

superpig

I don't see anything in those screenshots that suggests the frame rate should be slow - it is mostly static geometry, yes? My guess is that there are a lot of things you could optimise to buy yourself back the time needed for post-processing.

JamesArndt likes this.
  9. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

I don't understand why you say everything looks too shiny and reflective. Actual malls have floors so shiny that they reflect almost like a mirror; walls are often shiny or consist largely of reflective store windows; racks and hangars are often made of shiny metal; mannequins are often metallic silver or bronze in color, or shiny white, etc. If anything, the game needs more of that type of thing to look like a real mall: e.g., right now, the floors only barely reflect the surrounding color rather than a clear image of nearby objects.

I assume you were referring to the corridors when you said it looks too dark but with a lot of lights at the same time? The corridors have dark granite walls, which makes them look dark; and the floors and ceilings reflect that same color and are thereby darkened. The store screenshots certainly aren't too dark, are they?

You have a good point about the focus, which is a problem; but there have been successful horror games that are fairly mild or even cute (such as "Tattletail"), whereas the really scary ones often don't sell very well because most people don't enjoy severe fright. I thought if I toned that down and made it more about Christmas nostalgia - memories of going Christmas shopping as a child and being creeped out by the mannequins - it might sell better. It's difficult to choose a focus and target audience for horror games. Suggestions would be welcome.

10. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

The large number of GOs for all the products on the shelves, clothing on hangars, etc, seem to slow it down the most. I scaled that back by combining a lot of meshes and using the LOD system to change entire stacks of clothes into single cubes at relatively close range, but some stores still run fairly slowly if they have a lot of items. Think of all the products in a real store.

11. superpig

superpig

Even then, I don't think that should be capable of slowing down a modern PC, not if you're doing things right. Have you combined materials? Enabled static batching? Set up occlusion culling?

12. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

Whether it's a problem or not depends on how well it runs on truly modern machines (mine isn't). Could you test it quickly - its only 15 MB to download. It would be greatly appreciated if someone would actually test it.

13. superpig

superpig

You don't appear to have uploaded the MorleyvilleAlphaDemo_Data folder that contains all the actual game content, so your exe isn't usable.

14. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

The file should be fixed now if you're willing to test it out. Thank you for telling me about the problem.

15. nat42

nat42

The link in the OP says: "The file you are trying to view (Morleyville Alpha Demo - MorleyvilleAlphaDemo.exe) uploaded by StarvingIndieDev has been deleted and is no longer available."

16. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

I changed the link. Thank you for spotting that - I was going to change it but then promptly forgot. I'll forget my own name next.

17. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

One of the custom shaders made for the game: mathematically-produced candy cane stripes with an illusion of slight translucency:

18. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

19. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

Fixed another problem in the demo - it had been defaulting to the lowest graphic setting rather than the highest. URL is still the same.

20. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

A new dimension to the game: use an infrared device to see "anomalous figures" that are otherwise invisible (note that mall management calls it a "malfunction of the device", assuring everyone that the place isn't haunted).
    This is an early version of the feature, with placeholder graphics for the infrared device; but the shader effect works fairly well:

21. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

New handheld infrared device (work in progress), the IRspector (tm) which players can use as a member of the "Spook Inspectors" paranormal society. This allows another type of "job" and thereby adds some variety: if players don't like putting up Christmas decorations and stocking shelves with ugly Christmas sweaters and the like, they can play a paranormal inspector hired to investigate individual stores. The "Spook Inspectors" team bills themselves as scientific researchers, even if their logo of a sheet ghost doesn't necessarily lend credibility to that claim.

Screenshot below shows the infrared camera detecting a figure that doesn't show up in normal light (invisible to the left of the device's screen).

22. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

Is the blue-green color scheme for the infrared device close enough to a typical actual detector, or would it be better to have a more common color scheme like the blue-purple-yellow colors that many people seem to use? The actual detectors can be adjusted for various color ranges, so it varies quite a bit. I thought the blue-green range (see below) was more subtle and therefore less jarring for the ghost figures, and also more spooky; but maybe it deviates too much from the common settings. The figures in the screenshot below are all mannequins at ambient temperature; but the previous screenshot above shows a ghost (nearly the same ambient color, except the ghosts move).

23. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

It appears you need to bake the GI (lighting, shadows, bounce) and such. Post Processing like Ambient Occlusion would go far here too.

24. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

There are several reasons why baked lighting isn't going to work for this game.

25. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

A new version of the demo has been uploaded, with two new levels that allow the player to investigate the stores for paranormal activity as a member of the Spook Inspectors Paranormal Society equipped with devices such as an infrared detector, ultraviolet full spectrum scanner, and electromagnetic field detector.

Screenshot below shows an anomalous figure showing up in infrared but not visible light:

Remember the Spook Inspector's motto: "If in doubt, run. If really in doubt, run faster".

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018