Search Unity

Choosing game characters.

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by II_Spoon_II, Aug 30, 2018.

1. II_Spoon_II

II_Spoon_II

Hello,

I want some personal opinions about the game charcters, I will give you the story and you help me choose if you please :)

So, the game story is that the sun has been covered with the moon for years, the deads have taken earth, humans were hidden waiting for the sun to shine again.

And finally when it did, the deads are weak, they can't go out to the sun, the real problem is, between humans, who will take over the largest number of lands.

Now I want you to help me choose between the following:
    1-It will be a Pirates vs Vikings (or other rivaleries, suggest down pls)
    2-It will be Humans (Pirates/Vikings/Knights) vs orcs (which will give the players more characters choice)

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Why even have the undead as a story element if by the time humanity reemerges they're no longer a threat?

Ryiah and theANMATOR2b like this.
  3. II_Spoon_II

II_Spoon_II

Actually it will play part, while playing a match, u have to defeat the deads too, by attacking them in their hideouts, but they won't be doing any attacks, because they can't go out and fight, they won't be the biggest ennemy, they will like a distraction, for example you have vikings and pirates each one come from a opposite direction, and the deads will be in the middle of the battle ground, each one of them (viking/pirates) will try to take as much towers and land as possible from the deads, so that when all the dead are gone, it becomes a 1 v 1.
    Fighting the deads will decide who will have more advantage leater in the battle (the one with the more towers taken from the deads)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  4. II_Spoon_II

II_Spoon_II

5. YBtheS

YBtheS

I would ask myself these questions to choose one:
    1) Which one adds the most to the story and makes the most sense?
    2) Which one adds the most to the gameplay?
    3) Which one would come out at a higher quality (in terms of models, character sounds, etc)?
    4) Am I willing to spend time and possibly money to add more options when I could be doing other things?

6. II_Spoon_II

II_Spoon_II

Hi, thanks for your reply,
    1)They are equal on that I think.
    2)The second option adds alot more
    3)I already have all the models, and all in the same quality
    4)I won't have to spend alot of time since the character have the same scripts and componenets and animations, and as I said I have all the models so no additional money

7. YBtheS

YBtheS

Cool! Seems like it won't be too much more effort to add more characters. So are the different characters just a cosmetic change or will the players game experience be affected (like will different characters have different ability, stats, etc)?

8. II_Spoon_II

II_Spoon_II

Yeah, taht's why I wanted to add different characters, the player has to choose the right ones for his tactics to win the game, it's for a strategy game.

9. YBtheS

YBtheS

Hmmm... note that that means that you'll have to code the different abilities and stuff that each character has. Not to mention you'll have to balance them too. This can be quite time consuming.

10. II_Spoon_II

II_Spoon_II

It's okay x) the other scripts are almost finished, so I do have time for that.
    +I won't add so much characters, maybe just 3(vikings/knights/pirates) + Orcs for the machine side.

11. YBtheS

YBtheS

In that case I guess if adding more characters will add to the game then I see no reason not to. Unless anyone else has their own concerns about it. I'd wait a while before committing to it and see what other people have to say.

12. II_Spoon_II

II_Spoon_II

Yeah thanks, I hope someone else will give his opinion ^^

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

For the exact same reason they're considering orcs, pirates, vikings, etc. I'm just surprised they didn't include ninjas in there seeing that they're just as popular as the others and if they're feeling particularly tropey they can try add robots too.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Unknown33 likes this.
  14. II_Spoon_II

II_Spoon_II

Actually you are quite right, specially that I even have have ninja prefabs characters ready (how dumb of me not to think about it) thanks :D

15. Unknown33

Unknown33

Ninjas vs Samurai
    Cowboys vs Indians
    Knights vs Barbarians
    Spartans vs Mongolians
    Aliens vs FBI
    Robots vs Mankind

16. II_Spoon_II

II_Spoon_II

Thank you sir. FBI/Rbotos/Aliens I won't be using those since the game is like for old decades, they didn't exist then, but thanks, really appreciate it :)

17. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

dogs versus cats. dinosaurs vs mammals. sharks vs scorpions. wrestlers vs boxers. fire vs water. demons vs angels. good vs evil. red vs blue.

Just a few possibilities worth careful consideration.

18. II_Spoon_II

II_Spoon_II

Actually it's an RTS, I don't think those would match

Unknown33 likes this.