Search Unity

Choosing a different pivot vertex is unpredictable

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Crayz, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Crayz

Crayz

Is it possible to select an object or multiple objects, highlight all vertices, then easily set which vertex is currently being used as the pivot? Sometimes it works by holding shift and clicking the vertex I want, or reselecting the objects, but I can't find a way to do this reliably.

Example at 1:20, I try to move pivot to the bottom left vertex by shift + clicking, but it doesn't want to.:

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Sorry, this is a known bug with selection when using SHIFT-click to select/deselect after a drag-select. There is a workaround:

1) SHIFT-click on the vertex: nothing will change (that's the bug, arrg)
    2) SHIFT-click again: the vertex will suddenly act as if it were just selected (this is what you want)

Actually, these two steps would be required even without the bug (the Active Element is the last-selected vertex, so you always need to unselect then re-select a vertex). Obviously the better solution is a "click on a point and set the pivot there and/or take it's surface normal also", that's planned of course but not quite here yet.

Hope this helps!

3. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Edit: I'm totally wrong- SHIFT-click updates the active object instantly! So, we should do the same with PB elements. Funny how that has completely escaped me over...10 years of using Unity :D

4. Crayz

Crayz

Haha, well I toyed around with it a little more and having Shift mode set to Difference and using box deselect/select is reliable, but only if it's on a vertex of the last object you added to the selection. Double clicking with shift is unreliable and sometimes even chooses the wrong vertex

5. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Yep, we're working to clean up selection ASAP, glad you found a partial work-around!

Crayz likes this.
  6. Crayz

Crayz

Awesome, thank you