Search Unity

"choose your own price" - results

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tom163, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Tom163

Tom163

When I published my Terrain Tools I risked a small experiment. I offered the same product at four different price points - $10, $20, $30 and $50 - and told people to choose what price they consider "fair" for their purpose, budget and project.

From release until today, see the distribution of sales attached below.

Some musings on the numbers. That most people choose the most inexpensive option is unsurprising. However, despite the low numbers, those choosing voluntarily to pay me more have actually contributed more in total ($150 to $140).
    Assuming that half of those who picked the lowest price would still have bought had I offered only one price, the $20 one, I would've earned $30 less.

So in summary, I enjoyed the experiment and the current results convince me that there's something to it. Offer people a fair deal and they will treat you just as fairly. And even if you have a few cheapskates, who could have afforded more, in the end you will likely be off better. So it's a true win-win deal.

Attached Files:

2. defmech

defmech

This, in combination with 2D Boy's similar experiment, make me very hopeful about the future of different software business models. Thanks for sharing!

3. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Very good. Unfortunately I would never do this, I don't trust humanity enough :(. But good for you.

4. Marv

Marv

This is an interesting result.
    Although I don't think I says all that much about how people would spend their money if this were the norm.

I'm sure there were some that liked your approach because it is different and they wanted to support that.

I've bought music like that before. Unfortunately this effect wears out quit fast and I don't think that customers will spend much more then they're asked for.