Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Choose the game title - Result: "Chop Chop"

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by cirocontinisio, Sep 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shuttle127

shuttle127

Adding potential subtitle: Lost and Ground

alexchesser likes this.
  2. H3LL51nG

H3LL51nG

Chris.P Bacon's Adventure

Zelgadis87 likes this.
  3. spooneystone

spooneystone

Pig Chef and the secret recipe.

4. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

Chef’s Fable (or too similar to that Netflix show?I got that from "Chef's Table", I am not gonna lie).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  5. ArtofRemo

ArtofRemo

most names Ive read in here seem focused on the game being "comical" but personally I feel it should take itself more seriously.
    For me this one is the strongest. Gourmet: comical. Quest: an adventure, journey, mystery. It reminds me of "Dragon Quest".

Zelgadis87 and melmelgames like this.
  6. shuttle127

shuttle127

That's where I was headed with my first suggestion of "Porcine Amalgam," but that might be a bit over the top. Check out the Official Dialogue and Narrative thread to see what you think about the actual story. The story and plot have changed a fair amount since we first started, and doesn't seem like we've nailed down whether this is a comedy or a drama or some other genre yet, so feel free to throw in your ideas there too.

michaelgrilo and itsLevi0sa like this.
  7. ghitea-andrei-paul

ghitea-andrei-paul

8. wavefront

wavefront

$14q Describes that the Pig Chef travels with a companion phoenix chick. It doesn’t seem that interesting what type of animal the protagonist is, maybe in the real world, but in a world with hare musicians, cyclop islanders and slime critters, maybe not so much. To me it seems a more infamous trait would be the fact that he carries around a phoenix chick in a lantern that blows(?) fire (maybe an unannounced game mechanic?):

“Have you heard about the infamous Pig Chef? Who…? Oh you mean The Phoenix Chef? Yeah him/her and that Chick is awesome and they make awesome food! They can cook up a delicious meal in no time. With that fire breathing phoenix he/she can batch up an energising stir-fry in the middle of nowhere."

In terms of a title "Phoenix Chef" doesn’t flow well, so I truncated it to “Pho”, which also happens to be the name of a Vietnamese soup. "Chef Pho" has a nice flow to it. It’s always what the protagonist, and in turn the Player, does in the game that is more intriguing:

Chef Pho: Mystery of Spice Isle

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Zelgadis87 and ArtofRemo like this.
  9. wavefront

wavefront

Chef Pho & Isle of Spice

10. wavefront

wavefront

Chef Pho & The Phoenix Ritual

11. wavefront

wavefront

Chef Pho: Forgotten Recipes

12. myPetWiiUReggie

myPetWiiUReggie

I'm a big fan of this one.

bdb400 and ArtofRemo like this.
  13. shuttle127

shuttle127

While I'd make an argument for prefixing it with "The" to emphasize the chef's uniqueness (although I could also see an argument for why that might not be a good idea), love the process you took to get to your suggestions, just remember this endeavor is supposed to be a vertical slice of a game where the chef goes to multiple islands, not just 1.

14. davejrodriguez

davejrodriguez

Souey: Short Order of the Phoenix

IMO, I think a well-chosen name would work better than the protagonist's species + profession. Like Zelda, Ori, etc. "Souey" is a rough portmanteau of sous-chef and sooey (a common call for pigs).

Short Order alludes to his profession without being overt. And fits with the pun.

The Phoenix is a key character in this particular adventure of the pig chef.

EDIT: Could also see "and the" instead of the colon. Like "Souey and the Short Order of the Phoenix". Just think it might be a little wordy at that point.

15. shuttle127

shuttle127

Also reminds me of Harry Potter a bit too much. :p

itsLevi0sa and ArtofRemo like this.
  16. ArtofRemo

ArtofRemo

what about the following combinations :

- " Gourmet Quest: A Taste for Adventure "

- " Gourmet Quest: Mystery of Spice Isle "

17. davejrodriguez

davejrodriguez

Souey: Forest of a Thousand Eyes

Same reasoning for Souey. No pun. Might fit better with the brief. Subtitle references this specific adventure. Opens up the possibility for a "Souey: {Volcano-specific adventure subtitle}" for example.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    INDIEDEVDEON likes this.
  18. shuttle127

shuttle127

So you're suggesting subtitles for each island since the final game will be multiple islands? Would that just make the game called "Souey" and then in-game each island would get it's own name that's whatever the corresponding sub-title is? Could get behind that for sure.

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  19. davejrodriguez

davejrodriguez

I read the brief as one island - like the forest, the local eye creatures, and the eye king's temple are all on this island. Please correct me if I'm missing something, but I think the whole story for this game takes place on one island (or even just this one forest on the island).

So to clarify - I was not thinking of the subtitle changing in-game. The point of a subtitle specific to the target adventure is that you don't preclude the game from turning into a series. For example, if you make the subtitle "A Tasty Adventure" for one game, well, what if the pig chef wants to have another tasty adventure in a sequel? That's the issue with general subtitles. I see a lot of submissions trying to shoehorn exposition (he's a chef, he's a pig, he's going on a culinary adventure etc.) into the title. My first submission is kind of guilty of this. In my opinion, that would be a mistake.

EDIT: So yes, the base game would effectively be called "Souey", but subtitles would refer to standalone games, not just regions in one game.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  20. shuttle127

shuttle127

Yes it is the whole story of this project that we're working on, but the project is supposed to only be a vertical slice of a bigger game, and what we do here would be like the demo the developer shares with the public to entice them to support a Kickstarter to complete the rest of the game.

I was picturing that in the overall game, if it ever does get made after this project is over, there'd be a world map and each of the "sub-title" ideas is actually just the name of the adventure that happens on a particular island.

What I think I now understand from your perspective is that you're looking at this project as completely stand-alone and subsequent islands would just be sequels, is that right? That could probably work too, especially with all the ideas being thrown around in the Official Dialogue and Narrative, level design, and suggested gameplay design threads. A challenge there would be that we're supposed to be keeping this experience as lean as possible, so developing a full game would be a lot of extra effort that the community is not prepared for. Would love for this one island to be a full experience, there are certainly enough ideas, just not sure if there's enough capacity to execute.

Love the thinking behind your titles, most people, myself included, have been just spouting words without context, so background I think is helpful. We'll see what we can all come up with once the thread is closed for voting in the next few days.

davejrodriguez likes this.
  21. deivsky

deivsky

No Moar Bacon

22. deivsky

deivsky

Pork Ribs Know Best

23. davejrodriguez

davejrodriguez

@shuttle127 Well, being buried on the 5th page, I don't have a reasonable expectation that my submissions will get enough likes to make it past the first cutoff :) But still fun to come up with ideas. Also, I think I now understand where you're coming from. "Forest of a Thousand Eyes" sounds more like a nickname to me than an actual name of a forest, but it could easily fit as a "Chapter" name.

shuttle127 likes this.
  24. shuttle127

shuttle127

Classic front-page syndrome, yeah? :p

Granted ciro's idea is to lock this thread and have people go through the ENTIRE thing and put likes on EVERY idea they like, maybe that'll get more mileage than the typical forumgoer would provide.

25. batophobia

batophobia

Since it's apparently not been suggested yet, I believe I am required to suggest:

Piggy McPigface

26. maverick_unity3d

maverick_unity3d

Master Chef's Adventure

27. davejrodriguez

davejrodriguez

After some more thinking, having @shuttle127 clear up some misconceptions I had about the concept, and voting on previous submissions, I have to say I really like the idea of Chop Sooey. First name Chop, as in pork chop. Last name Sooey, call for a pig. But since Chop Sooey has already been submitted, I'd like to submit a version with my own spin:

Chop Souey

I think it gives us a lot of options in terms of referring to the pig chef in dialogue, maintaining flexibility with regard to gender. To my ear, Chop has somewhat of a masculine lean and Souey might sway toward feminine. But both are relatively androgynous. Pig Chef could be referred by both names during the game, informally Chop, formally Chef Souey or Souey by a rival. Might be a good place to be, letting the player assume whichever gender they prefer.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  28. davejrodriguez

davejrodriguez

I'd also like to resubmit Forest of a Thousand Eyes as the chapter name of the vertical slice.

shuttle127 likes this.
  29. shuttle127

shuttle127

Hamlet’s Pig Adventure

Was going to say Big in place of Pig, but this one is funnier.

melmelgames likes this.
  30. Harshith74

Harshith74

Pig's Name:
    Branky

31. RedstoneWiz

RedstoneWiz

"All Together"

32. RurouniKen

RurouniKen

King of Flavor

33. H4ppyM0nk

H4ppyM0nk

Hamlet Shakes Pear

cirocontinisio likes this.
  34. Unity1990

Unity1990

POA - Pig Open Adventure

35. codiushmaximush

codiushmaximush

Hamlet and the Spoiled Broth

36. SaadTheGlad

SaadTheGlad

"The Swine Cook", I think this outlines the character and the theme of the game really well. It's also straight to the point and kinda catchy. We could also remove the "The" if it sounds better that way.

37. smidty

smidty

Shefu's Delicious Journey

Shefu is chef in Japanese. The game is a journey that has to do with creating a delicious dish.

I am kinda taking liberty naming the pig, but if we dont want to name him Shefu, we could name it:

Shefu: The Delicious Journey

38. arjunpramod

arjunpramod

Sire Hog's perfectly baked adventure

39. arjunpramod

arjunpramod

An exquisite adventure for tasty buffets

40. INDIEDEVDEON

INDIEDEVDEON

Hamlet's Quest: A Porklicious Adventure!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  41. the-Fran

the-Fran

The Taste of Magic

42. the-Fran

the-Fran

The Magical Taste

43. the-Fran

the-Fran

Relishing Adventure

44. INDIEDEVDEON

INDIEDEVDEON

Hamlet's Quest: The Chef's Holy Grail

45. vspdevgame

vspdevgame

"OVERPIGGED" or "PIG SWINE- THE ISLAND"

46. Liquigel

Liquigel

Mortadella Island

47. mrasim

mrasim

Yamy World

48. thiskidcalledtom

thiskidcalledtom

Name Suggestion:

- The Culinary Snout
    - A Culinary Snout

Either Or. :)

ezmicken likes this.
  49. marcelodmmenezes

marcelodmmenezes

To Bake or to Bacon
    Playing around with the famous phrase "to be or not to be", assuming the character's name is Hamlet.
    Maybe you guys can come up with a better pun :)

NicknEmart and ezmicken like this.
  50. mightiest_hero

mightiest_hero

Hamlet's Cooking Journey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.