Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Choice of script editor

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by RockHound, Apr 14, 2006.

1. RockHound

RockHound

The Unity development environment is wonderful, but I would prefer to use a different editor for scripting.

Does anyone use another editor? I'm new to the Mac world, so I don't know what's available.

Alternatively, could I customize the keyboard bindings for the native editor?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Sync1B

Sync1B

Well there are a few options. A lot of people use SubEthaEdit it works but it's nothing to special. Also TextMate I have heard is real nice and has many more features for coding. SubEtha is focused a lot around it's multi-person editing.

Bill

3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

In the preferences you can select an external editor and unity automatically opens scripts with it.

4. Richard_B

Richard_B

5. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

This is kind of like an ad, but it's for something many of you will want and is directly related to this thread, so bare with it! Most of you know I'm not a bot or a spammer.

MacZot! is running an ad promotion for SubEthaEdit from CodingMonkeys which could land anyone who wants it a free copy.

BLOGZOT 2.0 on MacZOT.com

If you aren't familiar with MacZot! they buy a large number of copies of something and then sell it for a significantly reduced price. The drawback is that when they run out of copies, that's it. No dice.

This promotion is an agreement with the software company, I guess, that reduces the price by 5 cents for each mention in a blog by anyone. So, they get a ton of free advertising and you get a much more reduced cost on the software (possibly free! which did happen the last time they tried this.)

Anyway, if you have a blog, read that page and consider helping us all out. :) All you have to do is mention the whole promotion and SubEthaEdit on your blog. That's it. There's no risk here and it's not a gimmick. I've bought software from them before. Also, if you participate in the blog thing, you'll get an email telling you right when the price has reached zero, so you can be sure to take advantage. If it reaches zero, I'll be sure to post here as soon as I find out, so everyone can get a copy.

Basically... MacZOT and TheCodingMonkeys will award $105,000 in Mac software. All you need to do is help advertise software many of us already use. I have the old free version, but I'd like to get back on the upgrade wagon. :)

By the way, it's already down to $21.90 from $35 and the offer is only good until just before midnight California time.

6. thylaxene

thylaxene

down to 4.95 USD and couple hours to go... :D

cheers.

7. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

SubEthaEdit is currently down to $4.95 at MacZOT! folks. :) Looks like it might make it to zero... but there's only so many copies.

8. thylaxene

thylaxene

ooo.... buy now or wait that bit much longer... :wink:

9. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

10. jeremyace

jeremyace

Heh heh, everyone here is gonna kill me, but this is the script editor I use most often...

Microsoft Visual C# on PC.

Ok, before you guys run out to hire the assasins, my mac has a fuzzy monitor so looking at text hurts like heck after a while and I like VC#'s editing features much more than SEE's. Both machines are 5 feet from each other and I have a network so it isn't that bad. (Good old wireless KBs).

Thought someone might get a laugh out of that. ;)

-Jeremy

11. tsphillips

tsphillips

You should obviously switch monitors with the PC. :wink:

And drat! I paid $4.95 for SubEthaEdit tonight. That's an infinite price increase over the current price!

12. thylaxene

thylaxene

yeah but you got it at 4.95 and there is a chance most of us won't get it at the $0 price... the risks one take in life! LOL :wink:

cheers.

13. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Makes good sense using Visual C#, actually. I'd use X-Develop as it's better than that and SubEthaEdit, but no budget for it yet. Really should have bought it when it was on discount. :(

14. jeremyace

jeremyace

I'd use X-Develop as well, but my money has to go to more important things right now. For debugging I tweak the code on the mac so it is efficent enough for me right now. :)

-Jeremy

15. Bampf

Bampf

Don't complain; I went over there just now all excited, but it's $19.95.

Just my luck that this all happened in the middle of the night (for my time zone)while I was sleeping.

16. socksy

socksy

Me too >_<

17. Lummox

Lummox

For what it's worth, I spent the weekend searching for another scripting environment, and found JEdit -- a Mac friendly, open-source (free!) app that supports syntax-highlighting, etc. for more than 100 languages (including C# and JavaScript).

http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=features

I'm not much of a coder (yet?) but it seems to have worked pretty well for me so far, even on my Intel iMac.

edit: JEdit support for BOO! I just discovered that the Codehaus BOO page includes an XML library specifically for JEdit! Pretty cool.

http://boo.codehaus.org/JEdit

Cool.

J

18. Rhuantavan

Rhuantavan

19. marty

marty

Since SubEthaEdit went non-free, I've been using Dreamweaver to edit my Unity Javascript.

On the plus side: (1) I already own it (which maybe you do too), (2) I already know how to use it (which maybe you do too), and (3) it formats Javascript nicely.

On the negative side: (1) it doesn't pass code changes to Unity automatically (like SubEthaEdit does), (2) if you don't already own it, it's way too expensive for just doing Unity coding.